Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon announce the 8110 PND
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon announce the 8110 PND

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Navigon announce the 8110 PND Reply with quote

On the first day of Mobile world Congress Navigon announced the Navigon 8110 in Hamburg. Though not a connected device one of the guys at the Navigon booth here just happened to have one which he showed me.

The first thing you notice about it is the looks. there seems to have been some design style features carried over from the Porsche Design version, and the front of the SatNav is made from brushed steel. This has a nice feel and looks very attractive.

Navigon software is not known for being fast, but there have obviously been a number of improvements made in this area as it seemed to be a lot quicker and more responsive than previous versions.

I was only shown a subset of the functionality (apparently there is more that will be announced at CeBIT) but one of the things I really liked was the intelligent data entry system. When you type only valid keys are enabled. Even better is the fact that you can enter a couple of letters then a space then some more and the system does a search based on your entries.

I was impressed by both lane assist and Reality View, both of which have been brought across into this device. I cant wait to get my hands on a sample for testing...
Navigon Official Press Release wrote:

P R E S S I N F O R M A T I O N

NAVIGON 8110: a new dimension in mobile navigation

The new NAVIGON pilot offering an exclusive design with a 4.8 inch display, speech recognition and TMC Pro shows your route more realistically than ever before – right across Europe. New software technology makes it all possible. This new sat nav will come onto the market in spring 2008.

Hamburg, 11. February 2008 – After the successful introduction of its first very-own product range in 2007, NAVIGON is once again setting new standards. The system provides an optimum overview thanks to the new lane assistant software, Lane Assistant Pro, and the further developed Reality view Pro, even quicker route calculations and shorter response times thanks to new software technology, as well as the best multimedia connections with an integrated MP3 player, picture viewer and FM transmitter. “With the NAVIGON 8110, we’re showing what a modern navigation system is technically capable of nowadays”, says Peter Scheufen, Chairman of the Board of NAVIGON AG. Framed with a matt stainless steel cover and perfectly mounted in the new active holder, the NAVIGON 8110 is truly groundbreaking.

At the heart of this smart NAVIGON device is the new software, which has considerably improved the various available navigation options. Reality View Pro reproduces confusing motorway junctions and the correct exits even more realistically on the display. The new lane assistant doesn’t just show you what lane you have to be in at the current junction, but also lets you see what’s lying ahead. “This provides even better orientation and thereby offers additional safety”, sums up Jörn Watzke, Vice President of Product Line Management at NAVIGON.

Another handy feature – the latest generation Bluetooth technology guarantees quick and easy connection to your mobile phone. The numbers from your phone book can be stored in your navigation system on demand. Address information from MS Outlook can be immediately transferred to your navigation favourites list thanks to the integrated USB port. The text-to-speech function provides you with precise voice recognition, while the clear menu structure ensures that operation is simple and safe. If the place and street name are said out loud, the NAVIGON 8110 will do everything else. It’s possible to correct your destination immediately after the command has been given. The place, street and house number can all be entered with a single command. This means you only need to press one button to calculate the whole route. The rest can be done by speech recognition. Planning your route is as easy as can be.

To ensure that the navigation functions appear promptly on the large 4.8 inch display, a 533 MHz processor with 512 MB ROM and 128 MB RAM and a separate graphics accelerator are included in the NAVIGON 8110. The aerial for receiving traffic information is integrated into the charging cable. The 8110 is the only device in the NAVIGON range to have access to the most up-to-date, fastest and most precise traffic reporting service on the market – TMC Pro. There are no additional charges for this. The navigation device also includes a range of multimedia features – photos on an SD card can be displayed individually or as a slideshow on the bright 16:9 display. At the same time, the NAVIGON 8110 is also a fully-fledged MP3 player. You can listen to music either using the integrated loudspeaker, headphones or through your car radio. The FM transmitter broadcasts all audio signals with optimal sound quality – including the precise navigation announcements.

Lane assistant, PIN code protection and a POI memory with more than two million specific destinations mean this all-inclusive navigation system gives you the complete package. This exclusive accessory is available at 499 Euros, including European maps. More information on NAVIGON and the new 8110 are available at www.navigon.com.

Top Features of the NAVIGON 8110
High quality design
Extra-large 4.8 inch, 16:9 display
Free traffic jam information (TMC pro), integrated module
Exclusive Lane Assistant Pro
Reality View Pro
Picture viewer, MP3 player & FM transmitter
Integrated speech recognition
PIN code security function
Available with map information for all of Europe
Dimensions: 134.5 mm x 84.5 mm x 21.8 mm (W/H/D)
Price: € 499 incl. VAT

jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice, can't wait for more details. Razz

I would be even nicer if it benefited from the ViaMichelin link up, but as nothing is being said from either camp about that I doubt it. Confused

As I feel left out in the cold with VM I'm thinking one of these maybe on my shopping list for later in the year.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any pics?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try looking on the Mobile World Congress blog Very Happy here
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah i didn't realise it was a treasure hunt! All form and no function as per other Navigon units.

Slow software, poor UI, tiny information displays.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this will allow for custom POI to be loaded in or if it will still only be possible with the POI Warner software.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just added some official Navigon PR shots to the blog entry here
MikeS48
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren said;

"Ah i didn't realise it was a treasure hunt! All form and no function as per other Navigon units.

Slow software, poor UI, tiny information displays."

Is this a general comment on Navigon units or have you had a play with the 8110?
MikeS48
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having said that, I've only just opened up the thumbnails and I do wonder why Navigon make the information boxes so small, or to be more precise, why the font size within the boxes is so much smaller than it could be.

Still can't work out the "slow software" and "poor UI" from the pics though...
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeS48 wrote:

Still can't work out the "slow software" and "poor UI" from the pics though...

Suppose the speed is yet to be seen. It's maybe wrong to assume that the software will be as slow as version 6.

The speed and interface must be ok for some as correct me if I'm wrong some large companies use Navigon software on their devices. I'm not certain but Panasonic look VERY similar to the Navigon GPS units.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
The speed and interface must be ok for some as correct me if I'm wrong some large companies use Navigon software on their devices. I'm not certain but Panasonic look VERY similar to the Navigon GPS units.

EVERY Navigon or Navigon based device I've had the opportunity of testing has been slow. Panasonic use Navigon and that device is possibly the worst of them all with time to make tea in between key presses. These aren't budget devices and there is no excuse nowadays for such lacklustre performance.

There are some nice features in Navigon but the dire UI issues mean i could never live with one long term. Let's indeed hope that the new version is improved in this area.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I take it that there is still no sign of Text-to-Speech?

--

Cheers

Dave
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We may have to wait until Cebit in March to find out, as when I contacted them about the new unit they said specifications were still being finalised.
I'd imagine that once it's shown off at Cebit we may know as I read somewhere they are using Cebit as the time to start selling the units? Customer service said units would ship in April so sounds about right
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is certainly some extra goodies on the device. The demo they gave me was very specific in certain areas, and before he showed me he went into the settings and disabled some functionality. I was told I had to wait for CeBIT to find out.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see a video of this device in action. Do you have any idea if the European versions have any guide information like the US models do. Or is that why Navigon have started a deal with VM?

I really do like the look of this device, but just want to ensure that it's just as much substance as it is style.

My concern with the reality view is that it remains on screen too long after taking the exit and you approach the island with no idea which lane you need to be in. But I suppose the idea must work as TomTom seem to have 'borrowed' the idea.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: