Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce new GO 930, 730 and 530 at CeBIT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce new GO 930, 730 and 530 at CeBIT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: TomTom announce new GO 930, 730 and 530 at CeBIT Reply with quote

TomTom announced a new range of devices at CeBIT today the new GO x30 series. In Europe there will be a TomTom GO 930, GO 730 and TomTom 530 whilst in the USA there will just be the TomTom GO 930 and and GO 730. The new TomTom GO devices retain the styling of the current GO x20 series, but come in a very sophisticated soft touch black with "real metal" detailing.

Not only are we getting new hardware, but there will be updated software to support it. The new software incorporates new junction graphics such as "Lane Separation" and "Complex Junction Details" similar to the Navigon Lane Assist launched a year ago, it also incorporates enhanced Voice Address Input, and possibly more important it now incorporates a new feature known as IQ routing.

IQ routing allows a route to be calculated based on recorded average speed information. This means that if a road is marked at 70MPH but the average speed on the road is actually 10MPH then the 10MPH figure will be used for routing calculations and the generated route may be a lot longer, but should be faster. This will no doubt be a much discussed feature in the forums as indeed the difference in route calculations always has been.

The main new features of the (presumably V8) software are:

• Voice Address Input – Tell the GO where to go
• TomTom IQ Routes
– Intelligent routing based on real-world, historical average speeds
– Provides intelligent routing based on weekday and weekend averages
• Lane Separation
– Displays where to drive at complex multi lane junctions
– Enhances safety by avoiding last moment lane changes
• Complex Junction Details
– Complementing Lane Separation
– Displays detailed 3D image of complex junctions
– Maintains full visibility on the other essential details

For more pictures and more details as we get them click here to check the CeBIT blog.

Official TomTom Press Release wrote:

TomTom reveals revolutionary IQ Routes™ technology on new TomTom GO series

~ Unique route calculation method based on actual average speeds on roads provides smartest route calculation on the market today ~

CeBIT - Hanover, 3 March 2008. TomTom, the world’s largest portable navigation solutions provider today announces ground-breaking features and unique content on the new TomTom GO range, including the unique IQ Routes™ technology and Advanced Lane Guidance.

The innovative IQ Routes™ technology is based on real average speeds measured on roads, rather than static maximum speeds per road type. This means the new TomTom GO range determines a route by considering all possible routes and then selecting the one that takes the least time. In almost 50% of all journeys, this results in driving a different and faster route, saving significant travel time as well as saving money and fuel.

In addition, the new TomTom GO series features Advanced Lane Guidance, a first for the navigation mass market. Advanced Lane Guidance gives drivers a more realistic view and enhanced visual instructions of drivers’ surroundings, ensuring they are better informed about the situation ahead.

The two new features will be available with the new TomTom GO series: the TomTom GO 930, TomTom GO 730 and TomTom GO 530 from the end of April 2008.

“With the introduction of IQ Routes™ technology, we continue to focus our efforts on features and content that improve the core navigation experience”, says Harold Goddijn, TomTom’s chief executive officer. “Everyone knows that traffic on Sunday is different to traffic on Monday and this is exactly what has been taken into account on the new TomTom GO. IQ Routes™ delivers what we call ‘intelligent routing’ – an even smarter and efficient way of planning your daily route.”

TomTom IQ Routes™
The new TomTom IQ Routes™ technology is based on actual average speeds on roads, rather than the sign-posted speed limits. This intelligent routing technology is based on anonymous historical speed profiles of over 10 billion kilometres of driven roads, gathered over the years by millions of TomTom users. It takes into account all the factors that may influence the time it takes drivers to get to their destination, including traffic lights, roundabouts, steep slopes and speed bumps.

The TomTom IQ Routes™ speed profile database continues to grow at the rate of over half a billion measurements per day, so the time and spatial accuracy of TomTom IQ Routes™ technology will continually increase. Drivers can be confident that they will always be given the smartest route incorporating detailed local knowledge. This allows for more efficient daily route planning, in particular when driving through urban and mountainous areas.

Advanced Lane Guidance
With the new Advanced Lane Guidance feature, navigating difficult junctions becomes easier than ever before. The realistic representation of highway junctions on the screen including clear arrows indicating the lane direction, provide drivers with timely instructions to take the correct lane. Static images of road signs, in the same colour as the ones displayed on the road ensure drivers have an even better overview of their surroundings.

A host of extra features*
The TomTom GO 930, TomTom GO 730 and TomTom GO 530 will replace the current TomTom GO range. Combining the static historical data of TomTom IQ Routes™ with dynamic information of TomTom HD Traffic™ * - TomTom’s real time traffic service, and maps that incorporate daily updates via TomTom Map Share™, the new range offers the ultimate and most intelligent navigation on the market today.
The TomTom GO range also features a new premium look with high quality finish, expanded map coverage and the device comes preinstalled with the latest navigation features, including:

− TomTom Map Share™ technology enabling users to make corrections to their own maps instantly and benefit from improvements made by other users completely free of change
− Latest map guarantee so users always have free access to the latest map at time of purchase
− Plug & play traffic through new TomTom High Definition Traffic Receiver***, so drivers can receive real-time, high definition traffic information on motorways and secondary roads or TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver for detailed traffic information
− Enhanced Positioning Technology (EPT) for uninterrupted navigation even in tunnels or highly built areas (TomTom GO 930 only)
− Large 4.3 inch touch screen with new generation icons and an updated user interface to navigate drivers to their destination even easier;
− Voice address input drive to millions of cities and street names by simply announcing the address of your destination
− Clear voice instructions and text-to-speech to enable street names, places, traffic alerts and SMS messages to be read aloud as part of the spoken instructions;
− Enhanced hands-free calling with high quality sound system via Bluetooth® to allow drivers to keep their eyes firmly on the road whilst making phone calls in the car;
− Extensive safety features including ‘Help Me’ menu to give drivers direct access to emergency services and roadside assistance;
− Built-in FM Transmitter to play music and navigation instructions seamlessly over the car stereo;
− New smart & fun extras to personalise users’ devices, including recording your own driving instructions, view documents, exchange positions via SMS and Bluetooth™ wireless technology and select a favourite car icon on the screen;
− Free TomTom HOME software and content from the TomTom community to keep your TomTom device up to date at all times;
− Pre-installed safety camera database providing drivers with timely information on safety cameras on drivers’ routes
− Full range of accessories to match the design and finish of the updated GO range

Map Coverage
− TomTom GO 930 comes pre-installed with the most up-to-date seamless maps of 35 countries in Western & Eastern Europe, USA, Canada and Russia with maximum detail stored on the internal memory.
− The TomTom GO 730 comes with new expanded map coverage including the latest seamless map of 31 countries in Western & Eastern Europe
− The TomTom GO 530 comes pre-installed with door-to-door maps of a region.

Availability
The premium TomTom GO range will be available across Europe and the USA from the end of April 2008 and will differ per country.

Product technical specifications
− 4.3” widescreen 16:9 format LCD (WQVGA: 480*272 pixels)
− CPU 400 MHz
− TomTom GO 930: 4 GB internal flash memory, TomTom GO 530/730: 1-2 GB
− SD card socket
− High sensitivity GPS receiver
− Bluetooth™
− Battery lithium-polymer (up to 5 hours operation)
− Dimensions: 118 mm x 83 mm x 24 mm
− Weight: 220 grams

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And some screen-shots of the new 'Lane Separation" feature:

The New 930, black is the new silver

The new 'Lane Separation' feature, it is a static image but with relevant signage and lane information.

The New 'OverSpeed' warning, much more visible!

New MapShare features, 'Change road speed'

Last edited by Darren on Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Software Reply with quote

It would be nice to see the announcement of new software to make our "Old" 520/720/920 units display mapping and guidance like these screen shots. We can only dream I suppose.

Rolling Eyes
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bee so pessimistic, the new devices are almost identical in hardware specification, all of what has been added is in software and would I hope filter through in the v8 software upgrades for older devices.
Of course as with v7 you would also need a new v8 map to take advantage of many of the new features.

I should add that I have no inside knowledge of a v8 upgrade program, I'm simply basing this on the fact that Tomtom have always offered retrospective upgrades in the past. I'd also be very unhappy if I were a 920 owner and could not upgrade.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with a bit of luck we will get to see someone in TomTom tomorrow who can give us some answers. I doubt that timescales will be mentioned.

Note however that the existing x20 series are supported for the new HD Traffic...
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
with a bit of luck we will get to see someone in TomTom tomorrow who can give us some answers. I doubt that timescales will be mentioned.

Note however that the existing x20 series are supported for the new HD Traffic...

I'll tell you one thing that bother me (and hope the concern is unfounded). We've all seen and many have experienced the problems when TT's servers are down or flakey and we get weird results as a consequence.

If I understand this IQ functionality properly, it's going to require even more demands on their servers as users upload accurate information. What will the impact be for all of us then as we try to get new mapshares, software updates, etc?
timmys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to know where the average speed data for roads comes from.

I hope it will be a case of all tomtom units uploading logged data of journeys, if it is a case of tomtom manually assessing roads then I have less faith in how accurate it will be.

It also says that whether it's a weekday or weekend is taken into to account, but i wonder if the time of day is?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmys wrote:
I'd be interested to know where the average speed data for roads comes from.

I hope it will be a case of all tomtom units uploading logged data of journeys, if it is a case of tomtom manually assessing roads then I have less faith in how accurate it will be.

It also says that whether it's a weekday or weekend is taken into to account, but i wonder if the time of day is?

The speed data is garnered from users and takes account of day and time of day 24/7.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see from the screen shots in other places too, that they have changed what appears on Page 1 of Map Corrections menu - i.e. the ones that get amended straight away.

Now you can change road speed, and change junction turn directions too, according to the screen shots.

Still no adding or removing roundabouts however, as this obviously requires too much actual map layout change.

But a change for the better, at least.

I just also hope that as x20 users, we get the chance to software update too![/b]
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Software Reply with quote

stuart wrote:
It would be nice to see the announcement of new software to make our "Old" 520/720/920 units display mapping and guidance like these screen shots. We can only dream I suppose.

Rolling Eyes

IQ Routing will be available to existing users mid April but will require a map upgrade, I'm not sure what the cost will be.

I really hope that the lane change functionallity is also available to existing users, but my concern will be the amount of extra storage space required to store the extra data?

Anyway I'll look forward to further announcements, I'm surprised that theres no location based services similar to CoPilot & MS, I was expecting some ammouncement using Goofle services.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Software Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
stuart wrote:

Rolling Eyes

IQ Routing will be available to existing users mid April but will require a map upgrade, I'm not sure what the cost will be.

Hoping your right, but what do you base this on, or what makes you state it mate?
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A Host of extra features*

Plug & play traffic through new TomTom High Definition Traffic Receiver***, so drivers can receive real-time, high definition traffic information on motorways and secondary roads or TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver for detailed traffic information "
-----------------------------

Am I correcting in assuming that the HD service will require an additional harware purchase with the new x30 range, and only the current RDS-TMC service/reciever will be included in the x30T models as standard?

For some reason I thought the HD service would come built in to there latest devices, and come as hardware optional extras for the x20's etc?

What did the * and *** referance to?
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Software Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:

We will have to wait and see what Tomtoms final, final official release says for the v7 software update.

Confused Censored
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Software Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
SpeedCam wrote:
stuart wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Hoping your right, but what do you base this on, or what makes you state it mate?

Having been involved in the IQ beta, I received an email with these details direct from TomTom.

Hope this helps.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Software Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
shadamehr wrote:
SpeedCam wrote:

Having been involved in the IQ beta, I received an email with these details direct from TomTom.

Hope this helps.

Thanks mate!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: