Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Very annoying...again
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Very annoying...again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanHibbert wrote:
Hi,

How do you know the new unit is fully charged? Does it charge via the USB and display a 'battery full' indicator when ready?

You don't ! Unless you accept that if it's showing 4 bars, it's full. I've just been leaving mine on charge (mains) overnight, before going out for the day...seems OK so far.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
IanHibbert wrote:
Hi,

How do you know the new unit is fully charged? Does it charge via the USB and display a 'battery full' indicator when ready?

You don't ! Unless you accept that if it's showing 4 bars, it's full. I've just been leaving mine on charge (mains) overnight, before going out for the day...seems OK so far.

In the e-mail I got from Satmap recently, they said that the next version of firmware for the A10 will include an updated battery meter that will reflect the charge status of the LiPol battery properly -if this works, presumably the indicator will go to 4 bars once the battery is fully charged. They also claimed that the new firmware will reduce to overall power consumption of the unit, increasing battery life whichever type you choose to use. In the meantime, they said that it takes 10 hours to charge the LiPol pack, so like a previous poster, I tend to charge mine up overnight before use.
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PloddinPedro wrote:
Dragsterman wrote:
Lithium Energiser batteries were what I used and they lasted 6 hours with the screen on 30% brightness with the auto screen off after 1 minute. There is clearly something wrong with the unit if you say you had 7 hours of constant use with the screen on at 70% brightness. The screen on mine also flickers like crazy when I put fresh Lithium Energiser batteries in. And this happens every time and lasts from anything between 10 minutes and an hour. The unit is appalling at finding a signal, and before you jump down my throat, yes I was in an open area without any tree cover. The unit also loses the satellite signal all too often and can take up to an hour to find them again therefore rendering use of the unit unreliable.
Dragsterman, I think you might benefit from 'phoning Satmap and having a conversation with them about this. I can't say I've accurately analysed the posts to this forum but the general impression I've gained is that there is a wide range in the experience various owners have re. battery life. As you will probably have read, some people seem to get quite satisfactory battery life. I regard my unit's performance as pretty poor on rechargeables but I did get better results than you with the Energizer Lithiums and my unit has never suffered from the flickering screen. If mine was as bad as yours, I'd be claiming it is faulty and seeking a replacement or a full refund. Several people, including me, have found the people at Satmap to be very fair in dealing with genuine complaints and problems. They sent me a brand new replacement immediately, without seeking the return of the duff unit first, and I can't fault them on individual service. It has to be worth a try?

Yeah, I did email them in the early stages but the problems I'm having have since continued. The flickering screen problem can be part-rectified by using normal Alkaline AA batteries but the battery life is so poor that I would get 5 hours use with the screen on 30% brightness and 1 minute auto screen off. I'm going to have to contact them, if the unit seems faulty then surely I am entitled to a replacement? I don't want a refund, I like the Satmap Active 10, I just want good reliable service from it. Other people are clearly getting a better performance from their units, I wish mine was the same.
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I would say there is clear fault with your device if you are only getting 6 hours from a new set of Lithiums - I assume you didn't insert them to the device prior to starting the duration timing as the device will consume power from the cells even when powered off? - just a thought.

For comparison I have had well in excess of ten hours using the Lithium cells with the device on all the time and the backlight at 100%
The similar coloured Energizer Ultimate cells offer around half the duration from what I have found, I bought a couple of packs of these by mistake a while back thinking I had got a bargain Embarassed I only mention this as its an easy mistake to make - Mike

Yes, they were fresh Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries straight out of the pack. Like these:

I inserted them into the device when I arrived at the destination for my walk. I certainly haven't had the performance you've been having which has meant I've spent a fortune on batteries.
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
Dragsterman wrote:
robs1972 wrote:
Dragsterman wrote:
I must have spent £50 on AA batteries since I got the unit. The battery life is simply appalling. I've been let down so many times when the batteries have died whilst on a walk and I haven't had any spares with me. I know I MUST always carry spare batteries but the battery life is pitiful with the screen on 30% brightness and auto screen off after 1 minute. I certainly hope the LiPol pack is better otherwise the £500 I've spent on the Satmap including map cards + £50 or more on batteries is a total waste of money. Wish I'd bought a Garmin in hindsight, it may not have OS mapping but at least it would be reliable.

Pitiful!? Over the last two Saturdays I've been able to use my A10 for the main reason I bought it...I got the train to somewhere and then set off for a day ride using roads I'd never have considered riding without it...ie C-roads. On both occassions, from a set of fresh 2500 mAh rechargeables I've got just over 7 hours of constant on at 70% brightness.

I think in hindsight you should remember your spare batteries.

Lithium Energiser batteries were what I used and they lasted 6 hours with the screen on 30% brightness with the auto screen off after 1 minute. There is clearly something wrong with the unit if you say you had 7 hours of constant use with the screen on at 70% brightness. The screen on mine also flickers like crazy when I put fresh Lithium Energiser batteries in. And this happens every time and lasts from anything between 10 minutes and an hour. The unit is appalling at finding a signal, and before you jump down my throat, yes I was in an open area without any tree cover. The unit also loses the satellite signal all too often and can take up to an hour to find them again therefore rendering use of the unit unreliable.

I normally always take spare batteries by the way. As I said I have spent a small fortune on batteries since I got the unit. £50 minimum easily.

So, yes, I would say pitiful performance.

The flickering seems to be common after the insertion of new Li AAs. I'd use rechargables and see what life you get from them. Regarding the signal....what does the satelite status page show you about how many satelites it's picking up?

The flickering screen happens every time I activate the screen, surely not normal? I takes way too long to settle down.

The satellite page shows about 5 or 6 satellites I would say on average?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would contact SatMap about this, clearly there is something wrong with your device, I have only encountered the screen flickering a couple of times.
As for battery life I put a fresh set of Lithiums in my active 10 at 10:00 this morning and have been using it since. its still going after nearly 6 hours and I would expect at least another six hours from it - at least SatMap have a decent reputation for customer aftersales service, you have nothing to lose from phoning them - Mike
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragsterman wrote:
The flickering screen problem can be part-rectified by using normal Alkaline AA batteries but the battery life is so poor that I would get 5 hours use with the screen on 30% brightness and 1 minute auto screen off. .

Have you got something against rechargeables!? You keep saying you've spent a fortune on batteries...buy some rechargeables then when they run out you've still got something to show for the outlay!!! Confused

Or ask Satmap if you can borrow a Li Po battery for diagnostic purposes! Very Happy
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: fortune on batteries Reply with quote

Dragsterman wrote:
mikealder wrote:
I would say there is clear fault with your device if you are only getting 6 hours from a new set of Lithiums - I assume you didn't insert them to the device prior to starting the duration timing as the device will consume power from the cells even when powered off? - just a thought.

For comparison I have had well in excess of ten hours using the Lithium cells with the device on all the time and the backlight at 100%
The similar coloured Energizer Ultimate cells offer around half the duration from what I have found, I bought a couple of packs of these by mistake a while back thinking I had got a bargain Embarassed I only mention this as its an easy mistake to make - Mike

Yes, they were fresh Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries straight out of the pack. Like these:

I inserted them into the device when I arrived at the destination for my walk. I certainly haven't had the performance you've been having which has meant I've spent a fortune on batteries.

The lipol pack is £45, which I think is good value compared to cameras/phones.
Early adoption is always expensive.
When I go out walking, I always take a backup, in this case an old garmin.
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
Dragsterman wrote:
The flickering screen problem can be part-rectified by using normal Alkaline AA batteries but the battery life is so poor that I would get 5 hours use with the screen on 30% brightness and 1 minute auto screen off. .

Have you got something against rechargeables!? You keep saying you've spent a fortune on batteries...buy some rechargeables then when they run out you've still got something to show for the outlay!!! Confused

Or ask Satmap if you can borrow a Li Po battery for diagnostic purposes! Very Happy

Yeah, but if the device I have wasn't faulty in the first place I wouldn't have had to buy as many batteries now would I?
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True but then even if you were getting the full life out of your lithiums I don't know why you would want to keep using disposable batteries.
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say I did! The problem is with the unit itself, not my choice of batteries.
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: does not compute Reply with quote

Dragsterman wrote:
I didn't say I did! The problem is with the unit itself, not my choice of batteries.

If the unit it faulty, get it replaced(repaired), putting lots of batteries in won't fix a broken unit.
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know. I've emailed Satmap about it as I would like a replacement. I haven't received a reply though as yet. It's been about five days (I think) since I sent my email, does anyone know if they are slow at answering emails or are they usually quick at responding? At this rate it looks like I'm going to have to give them a call (and try not to lose my temper)...
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragsterman wrote:
Yes, I know. I've emailed Satmap about it as I would like a replacement. I haven't received a reply though as yet. It's been about five days (I think) since I sent my email, does anyone know if they are slow at answering emails or are they usually quick at responding? At this rate it looks like I'm going to have to give them a call (and try not to lose my temper)...
My experience suggests you're much better off 'phoning. I had a chat with them yesterday and it's obvious they are working flat out to get the new software out. It's not really an excuse of course but they are a small team and I guess probably don't have much time to respond to e-mails. But I'd be pretty confident that if you speak personally and explain your problem, you'll get sorted OK.
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PloddinPedro wrote:
Dragsterman wrote:
My experience suggests you're much better off 'phoning. I had a chat with them yesterday and it's obvious they are working flat out to get the new software out. It's not really an excuse of course but they are a small team and I guess probably don't have much time to respond to e-mails. But I'd be pretty confident that if you speak personally and explain your problem, you'll get sorted OK.

Should have bought a Garmin.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: