Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom3, iPAQ 4150 Activation and bluetooth questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom3, iPAQ 4150 Activation and bluetooth questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: TomTom3, iPAQ 4150 Activation and bluetooth questions Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just ordered TomTom3 bluetooth to replace my ageing Navman and I had a couple of questions I couldn't see answers for browsing the reviews and forums.

1/ If I activate the software on my current iPAQ which isn't bluetooth then want to change it to my new 4150 when it finally arrives is that possible. I wasn't sure about this 7 day thing. Do I have to register on the new unit within 7 days or not until after 7 days of first registration? Any complications with it being on the same PC?

2/ For the bluetooth unit do you have to switch it on/off everytime? I was thinking of hard wiring it and placing it on the rear parcel shelf and ideally it would switch on/off with the ignition. Is that possible? If not does that mean you have to manually switch it on everytime you want to use it? This didn't seem to be covered in the review.

Thanks for any advice!

Richard. 8)
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) you can theoretically install on your old PDA now and on the new one in a week but then you have used up your registrations for the next half year. If anything breaks and you get yet another PDA you will have to ask TomTom for an exception.

2)Powering the BT off the ignition is not a problem. The problem is that you will then always charge and drain the battery. (unless you switch it on/off manually). If you could remove the battery completely then it would work better...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Richard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lutz for the reply.

If I register now with the current iPAQ, can I only register the new one after 7 days has passed? Still not sure which way round it is Embarassed

If the battery drained down after I switched the ignition off, would it turn on automatically when I switch the ignition on and it gets power? What do people normally do, Switch it on and off manually? I'm really not sure how I should be using it.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These TomTom registration nightmares... I am not sure either because I haven't changed PDAs in a long time

The BT device will sure switch on again and work fine. The only problem is that you will ruin its battery faster if you give it the full discharge every time... As I said before, the best would be to disable the battery completely when you use the BT in the car.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that the TomTom activation rules are:

Activate any time.
Wait seven days before a second activation is possible.
Wait six months after the second activation before a third activation is possible.
Wait six months after any subsequent activation before another activation is possible.

If the time delay for an activation has elapsed, you can activate another device immediately - but will then have to wait before activating again on yet another device.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: