Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Voice warnings/alerts with Garmin Nuvi.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice warnings/alerts with Garmin Nuvi.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
wont this overwrite the original bong noise which ive seen in another thread should be backed up before you start playing around with the voice files?!

No because it's got nothing to do with the voice files. When an alert is sounded for a POI if there is an mp3 with the same name as the POI file it'll use that sound. Otherwise it uses the bongs from the voice file.

However a backup is ALWAYS a good idea, no matter what.

Quote:
Is there any other way of doing it as I am quite happy with the PGPSW alert distances which will be altered by Ash`s camera manager software - or can they be left as they are written in the download file using the piece of SW - any help appreciated,

Not really sure what you asking here. If you add an mp3 into the mix of BMP and CSV files it'll use the mp3 as the alert tone. Nothing to do with Ash10s software. You can use Ash10s software to alter the distance, or not, and then add the mp3s, or not.

So downlaod the files from here put them through Ash10s software, if you want. Add the mp3s, if you want. Upload all the files to your unit using POILoader.
Fith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Ash10's Camera Manager support the Garmin 760. Also does the 760 support the mp3 voice warning files.

I am unable to sort the cameras by both type and speed under the manager setting [greyed out] and therefore the mp3s don't work?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASH10's s/w doesn't really need to know what unit you have. It creates files for use by GARMIN's POILoader to load onto your unit. It's your unit that needs to be able to support POILoader - which it does. POILoader creates a file (?.gpi) - I forget the name but it will be loaded to the Garmin folder on your nuvi.

Not sure what you mean in the second part of your question but...

The speed camera files, the icon files (.bmp) and the warning files all have to have exactly the same file name - case included. If anything is wrong then you won't get a voice warning (check mp3 name) or an icon (check .bmp name) or both.

Ash10's s/w simply allows for some degree of automation to the process - which as you are finding can be a bit tedious to set up the first time.

I suggest the following.

Create empty folder on your PC and place all the speed cameras in this.
Copy the icons and .mp3 files here also. Doing an alphabetical listing will allow you to check for any file name issues. You should have a series of .csv .bmp and .mp3 extensions

Connect your nuvi.

Now fire up POILoader, point it at this folder and let it go. Don't change any of the settings in POILoader. It will 'go away' for a minute or two - it can look as if it's not doing anything - but it is - be patient.

POILoader will complete and tell you how many POIs it loaded.

Try it out on your nuvi. It will take a while to check if all the .bmp and .mp3 files are correct - if if works with the first couple of camera types you come across then you can fix any issues later - you know the basic princple is working.

NOW you can try ASH10's Camera Manager. It should pick up the default location from POILoader. I think you need to leave a copy of the ginal .zip file in the folder - it uses this to check for new versions of the files.

When you want to add other POIs (ie non-cameras from the massive list available on this site) you can create these into sub directories of the folder. When ASH10's sw and POILoader run - it will create POIs in subcategories (the name of the subdirectories you created). This makes it much easier to manage and use POIs on your nuvi. A few people actually use this method for storing their Favourites, instead of the nuvi Favourite location.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am unable to sort the cameras by both type and speed under the manager setting [greyed out] and therefore the mp3s don't work?

Some options are greyed out unless you donate to Ash10, then you get the full version.
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bong does not get disappeared when you do ash's speed camera software and all the distances are selectable both for first and second warning .

I would always do a backup anyway before adding new stuff its just pure safety. I also think you need to donate to Ash ,nd its worth it,to get the voices working. Ash's s/w does it by creating a new set of files that link to the voices . So you can have it so that you are shown by type of camera and by speed and I use much longer warnings for mobile camera sites cos by the time you see them its too late . It also saves looking at the screen to hear"mobile camera 70" .

Hope this helps

Very Happy

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: