Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is GPS a Kid Killer?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is GPS a Kid Killer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Is GPS a Kid Killer? Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comNo it's not April although you may wonder having read the headline grabbing results of a report from Dutch research organisation Stichting Onderzoek Navigatiesystemen. They claim that poor routing on devices is putting more cars in the path of children in school and residential zones in unfamiliar areas.

They compared 13 different 'telephone navigators' and their route plotting algorithms to see which took into consideration the avoidance of school and residential areas. Of all the devices tested, apparently only one, Nav4All (a Dutch application), was able to calculate a route that avoided these areas.

Stichting Onderzoek Navigatiesystemen has no apparent connections with Nav4All but it is important to point out that Holland has many residential areas where pedestrians have right of way and where cars should only be used for access. Navigation systems that use such areas as viable through routes can cause problems and may not in fact reflect accurate transit times but quite how they can be blamed as the cause of increased traffic accidents and casualty rates isn't explained.

Read the full report here.

Personally this sounds like an attention grabbing load of guff in the vein of 4x4's that kill the planet, but what do you all think?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Is GPS a Kid Killer? Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Of all the devices tested, apparently only one, Nav4All (a Dutch application), was able to calculate a route that avoided these areas.

I notice that they didn't test any Garmin units. So it looks like I won't be murdering any children then! Pistol Shoot Out

Darren wrote:
Stichting Onderzoek Navigatiesystemen has no apparent connections with Nav4All

Hmmmm, that's what I was wondering too.... Exclamation

The other thing that bugs me is that they don't state the test methodology used or the routes driven (or if they actually drove the routes!). Maybe you could challenge them to disclose how they did the testing in the interests of balanced reporting.

Perhaps they just had a look to see if there was an option to "Avoid killing children" or perhaps "Avoid residential roads" and if the nav system didn't have one then it was condemned as an device which incited us to attack children with our lethal weapons?

As we all know, the fastest route between two points more than a few miles apart is almost always via the main roads. Also, the road network has been around a lot longer than sat nav systems and they typically don't layout roads in such a way that a minor residential road could be used as a cut-through to by-pass a longer main road. Where this was done, the residential road has generally been blocked off because it became too much of a rat run.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well possibly yes, but the actual cause is the driver, not the navigation system.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Darren.

I'm possibly in a small minority, but I always try to drive as though I know where I am - even when I'm completely lost - you can always turn around and come back if you miss a turning and there's no excuse for not being aware of your surroundings
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

therell most likely be one within the next 2 weeks that will say the opposite of that report Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Bartmanekul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has just come to my attention, after looking at the nav4all site.

I have to say, that I strongly think its linked to nav4all. I did a whois, and both come up with Verio inc.

Coincidence? Im not sure. However, after using nav4all, its pretty crap. And I refuse to beleive that it passed all those tests.

Theres even typos in the report for goodness sake.

I have asked them for information on the tests, but I bet I wont get any.

Too many alarm bells ringing if you ask me.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: