Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PPC2003 Notification Bug - Fix
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PPC2003 Notification Bug - Fix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: PPC2003 Notification Bug - Fix Reply with quote

I came across this freeware software so fix the notification bug in PPC2003. Thought i'd post the link to share with you all http://www.scarybearsoftware.com/ppc_cn_overview.html

I had only 22 duplicates
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had troubles with notifications when using the ScaryBear Check Notifications program (I have Spb's Pocket Plus installed which catches most, but duplicates of calendar and tasks notifications eludes it). The main problem was that after one duplicate clearance timed notifications really didn't work at all for a few days (so timed backups didn't trigger, nor did alarms) after I'd used Check Notifications to clear duplicates. It seemed to be picking up more duplicates and clearing them than I thought there were by my examination of the on-screen display.

However, I'm not sure whether this was the fault of the ScaryBear software or whether it was more general duffness of notifications under Pocket PC 2003. I suspect the latter, to be honest - and the ScaryBear programs are regularly updated in any case (the version I tried is certainly no longer current).

These days, I use Anton Tomov's Pocket Mechanic to clear the odd duplicates for calendar and tasks - it shows me precisely what is going on and allows me to review duplicates it intends to delete individually before deletion. I haven't had any recurrence of the problems - but this program is not freeware (I got it at half price on an offer shortly after launch made to those who already had some of his software).

I suspect my problem was probably nothing at all to do with the ScaryBear program. The main reason for this post is to urge people to take good backups (ideally using Sprite Backup - then copy the backup off your memory card onto your PC if you're backing up to memory card so that you can keep it for archival reasons) before trying these programs just in case something goes wrong. The loss of certain notifications will pretty much force a hard reset - for example you will find ActiveSync can be impaired or possibly stop working altogether over USB if the notifications database is damaged.

I came very near to performing an unwanted hard reset and reinstall when my notifications went wrong. I live in hope that before long there'll be an update to Pocket PC 2003 to solve this problem so that we no longer near third party software to patch the notifications database.

David
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The April 2004 ROM update for the iPAQ 5550 fixes this issue. No more duplications!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: