Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Choices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Choices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Choices Reply with quote

I currently have a TalexLite but with the recent update problems I'm looking around.

I cannot see the justification in some units costing in excess of £200 when for a considerable saving you can get a TomTom and then the cameras from here!

Even though I have a built in SatNav system I'm seriously considering a compact TomTom just for the camera warnings.

Am I missing something ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really! The only feature they have that navigation systems normally lack is comprehensive directional alerts. With most dedicated SCD's they will only alert for cameras in your direction of travel and some will filter out alerts from cameras in side roads etc.

So far only Mio/Navman have directional POI capability. Although our database has the directional data ready for the day that this becomes commonplace, TomTom and the like cannot yet use it and so alerts are triggered for cameras on both sides of the carriageway. TomTom do have a facility called 'alert when on route' but this means you have to have a route planned for it to work.

As for the all important database quality I believe ours is at least as good and often very much more accurate than our competitors. I have a dozen SCD's here and choose to use ours alone. We're also more open than anyone else and you can discuss features, camera sites etc and get a reply from us in an open forum, no-one else offers that.

In a recent similar reply (also a soon to be ex-Talex customer) I suggested as an alternative an original model TomTom ONE. It's less than £100, is still a capable GPS SatNav, runs the latest software and maps and comes with a one month trial of our camera data. See www.totalpda.co.uk .
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you are missing anything at all, the TomTom at the bargain prices they can be obtained for are a very good Speed Camera Warning system when combined with the database from this site.

A couple of other Speed Camera warning systems are GPS Speed Sentry which runs on a PDA or PDA style Phone, and CameraAware Which can run on PDA and SmartPhone devices both software packages use the Pocket GPS World Speed Camera Database, it depends upon what type of phone or PDA you have, but these can provide a very effective warning system - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also find the on screen display of the camera location is much more useful than a simple alarm on an SCD. At least you then know what it is you are being warned about and where!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought as much - thanks

I did have a TomTom One v1 which I sold on once I git the Honda SatNav, this is why I still have a short time left on my camera subs here from earlier this year.

I had the old TTv1 setup with the third party camera voice warnings as well so I didn't have to look to get the warnings. As you say, the directional status would be nice if they solved it.

The only other thing against the TT in my opinion is the inability to semi hard wire it neatly as the ciggy lighter adapter is also a mini transformer with its tricky third wire.

So for me the ideal compromise would be:

Ability to semi hard wire (= seriously shorten and hide the lead)
Directional ability
Cameras from here (linked to a voice warning system)
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
The only other thing against the TT in my opinion is the inability to semi hard wire it neatly as the ciggy lighter adapter is also a mini transformer with its tricky third wire.

So for me the ideal compromise would be:

Ability to semi hard wire (= seriously shorten and hide the lead)
Directional ability
Cameras from here (linked to a voice warning system)

You could resolve the semi-permanent install by using a 3rd party mount such as those from Carcomm or Brodit. Both have the option to hard-wire, Carcomm have the transformer gubbins in the mount so you can shop off the cigarette lighter cable and Brodit have cigarette lighter or hard-wire versions.

Or do what I have done in the past, wire in a cigarette lighter extension behind the dash (Maplins have one for £2.99) chop off the plug and wire into the fuse-box and then plug the TT adapter into that behind the dash with the unused cable coiled up.

Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, thanks

Just a quick point on the Navman units - according to the online pdf manual the cameras are like the TomTom and are only directional when you have a route plotted (latest S series), shame.

Can the Navman units be hard wired by cutting the ciggy wire or are they the same as TomTom?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah that may well be the case but I wouldn't recommend them anyway, they aren't great and can't handle our POIs as they stall at 12,000 odd!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta

TT then Smile
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: