Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which speedcam POI database?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which speedcam POI database?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Which speedcam POI database? Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is going to be a bit controversial, but having found at least three UK speed camera POI databases, I was wondering if anyone had a view on the pro's and con's of each?

1. One here complied by the excellent folks at this site: pocketgps_UK_SC

2. One at poihandler.com - are they the competition?

3. One at poiplace.oabsoftware.nl - are they the completionl?

I guess since I get a lot of help for this forum I should be loyal and use pocketgps_UK_SC, but then again it's my license and job that's at stake ...

Any thoughts?

TC
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TC,

Good question. I’ll start off by saying I’m biased Smile – I like the PocketGPS World (PGW) camera database. However I’ve got no connection with PGW apart from being a happy member. Thumbs Up

I have a Morpheous Geodesy as well as the iPAQ that runs CheckPOInt/GPSAssist monitoring for the PGW camera database. In the areas that I travel, both systems have notified me with 100% accuracy.

I think that some of the PGW “competitors” charge for their camera databases 8O . From my own experiences of their free POIs I would be very worried about the accuracy and comprehensiveness of their fee-based databases. Rolling Eyes

If like me, you prefer a belt and braces approach to keeping your driving license clean, then your could always run all three camera databases (although you may get fed up with multiple alerts). Alternatively you could use one of the commercial GPS camera detectors.

If money is no option, then you could invest in a laser diffuser front and rear, a radar detector, and a commercial GPS camera detector, to go with the free PGW camera database. Twisted Evil

Seriously, I think that the PGW camera database is the best, and that coupled with driver alertness it's a good start to protection. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
TC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Privateer,

Thanks for your comments. I'm not ready to go to any additional technology just yet. I'm just trying to explore all the option open to me with my current kit.

I'm thinking that others would also find the Pro's and Con's of each of the three speedcam overlays useful.

I have a couple of observation with the pocketgps_UK_SC. the first is I don't see any icons when I view the overlay - any ideas? The other thing I see is that everything is in one overlay which presumably means that only one .bmp is needed which in turn means only one icon regardless of speed of detection?

POIhandler and POIplace organise an overlay for each speedcam rating, which means you can have a different icon for each e.g 30 icon for 30mph, 50 icon for 50mph etc...

Thanks again
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TC,

If you don’t see the icons then go to Properties | POI, where you’ll see a list of POIs. Check the relevant box and you should see the icons on the map. If you don’t see the icons, then fully exit TTNav and restart it and try again. If that doesn’t work do a soft reset and redo from the beginning.

Yes there is only one PGW camera database (at the moment). So you have to be aware of the speed limit for the road that you’re on. There are arguments about this but my own thoughts are that speed limits often change (get lowered – not increased) so it’s dangerous to rely on database speed limits.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: