Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - WAV files on Go!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

WAV files on Go!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: WAV files on Go! Reply with quote

I was tinkering with the "warn when near POI" menu a while ago and noticed that at the bottom of the default warning sounds (Beep 1, Polite 2 etc.) there is an option to record your own warning, using the internal mic. I tried it for a giggle, and the first thing it does is ask for a name for the recording (which defaults to the POI category name). So I ended up with a recording called "Airport". However, when I came to select it, the screen said "Airport.wav. Is this the sound you want to select".

WAV, I thought?

A quick browse of the directory structure showed my recording was indeed stored as a 16kHz mono wav, in a folder called "sounds".

So I tried just pasting another short wav file (in the same format) into that folder, and sure enough, not only does it work, but it now appears at the bottom of the selection screen along with all the default bells and whistles so can be chosen for ANY POI category.

Cool eh?
Maybe this means we can stop mucking about with renaming and duplicating ogg files eventually!

Last edited by Andy_P on Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, BUT ogg files are so much smaller in terms of file size, with the new TomTom One V3 not having an expansion slot every bit of file size has to be justified, also if this site changed from ogg format to wav files for the downloads for spoken alerts consider the hike in bandwidth as wav files are so much larger.
Does it offer the wav file and play it when setting up the Warn When near POI option though in a similar way to selecting a built in sound? - Using ogg files and answering No to the question about "Is this the correct sound" wil lock the device with some stupid unrelated message about photos - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Nice, BUT ogg files are so much smaller in terms of file size, with the new TomTom One V3 not having an expansion slot every bit of file size has to be justified, also if this site changed from ogg format to wav files for the downloads for spoken alerts consider the hike in bandwidth as wav files are so much larger.

True... Sad
22050Hz ogg file - 26kB
same file as 16000Hz wav - 431kB

(See below... it works with ogg files too!)

Quote:
Does it offer the wav file and play it when setting up the Warn When near POI option though in a similar way to selecting a built in sound?

Yes it does, here's a screen shot with one test file added:

Clicking on it plays it just like the sound effects.

Last edited by Andy_P on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I'd forgotten to post on this forum, the above works for ogg files too. Smile

So ANY .ogg format sound/voice alert OR 16 bit .wav sound can be put in the "sounds" folder and used as your warning alerts.

Here's an example with just ONE "Liz" voice added:

Sub-folders can also be used, like this...

...which keeps things tidy Smile

That's the gist of it, see my first posts above for more details.

Two good results of this...
Firstly, you can SEE what you are doing and TEST the voice file or sound you want to use (unfortunately, the default camera file naming system that PGPSW use means the names are too long to see the important bit of the name, but you can tap each one to try it and you soon work out the order they are in. I have renamed my files to put the camera type and speed at the FRONT of the name).
Secondly, as you can see above, you can get the original "Polite 1,2 and 3" sounds back that have changed to new sounds in the latest software updates. (I have them saved if anyone wants them)

If you can't get the PGPSW camera alerts working using the "matched names" method for whatever reason, this is another way of doing it.
I find it more logical, and t seems to be the way TomTom would like it to be done in future... Smile

Last edited by Andy_P on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:45 pm; edited 7 times in total
gpspcb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
If you cn't get the PGPSW camera alerts working, this is another way of doing it (although the names are too long to see what you're doing easily).

Thanks for this, I'll have play tomorrow
Pete
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Andy, I will have a ''Play'' with this method when I get home later, this might be a way forwards to get fid of the stupid error and device lockup when setting up the warnings if a user presses No.
If indeed the above is the case I will look at a re-write of the associated help page - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm asking a lot here...

...is now the time to bite the bullet and rename the PGPSW camera files and associated oggs to put the changing part of the name at the front:
i.e. change "pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ov2" to become "Gatso_20_uk_pocketgps.ov2" or something even shorter?

At the moment they all WORK fine but when they appear on the sound effects selection page, all you see of the name is "pocketgps_u" for every one of them, making it tricky to choose the one you need (especially as they always seem to be listed in an odd order).
We obviously need to keep the names the same as the ov2 files if we want to maintain compatibility with the old method, otherwise we'd really want to provide two sets of the ogg files with different naming conventions, which is rather boring. although that would mean we could give them all proper descriptive names like "Kate_Gatso30" and "Simon_Mob40"
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only issue of course is that for those that choose to stick with the original system it will break it. The alternative would then be two methods and two file-sets.

Personally I find this alternative method even more clunky as it requires manual selection of each and every warning sound?

For those that wish to do it this alternative way, there is nothing to prevent them renaming the .ogg files themselves?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The only issue of course is that for those that choose to stick with the original system it will break it.

That's why I said it would mean changing the default names of the actual data files!
It's something that has often been asked for in the past (so the useful bit of the name could be more easily seen on a small screen) but it was seen as a lot of work for just one reason.
Maybe now there's TWO reasons....

(but I'm not holding my breath! Laughing )
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
That's why I said it would mean changing the default names of the actual data files!

Ah right. That's a whole different ball game of course! There are very good reasons why our name is there as I'm sure you appreciate Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..but could it be at the other end of the name, so people can see the "Gatso30" bit?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll discuss with my colleagues and come back to you Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted - pasted update in wrong place!

As an aside, did the turning the names round ever get discussed, Darren?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed TBH I can't remember but I have just sent a round robin mail to the team asking for their opinions.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: