Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A Day in The Life of a PocketGPSWorld.com Verifier
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A Day in The Life of a PocketGPSWorld.com Verifier
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: A Day in The Life of a PocketGPSWorld.com Verifier Reply with quote

Camera verification is an important part of our service and it is this that makes our database stand out from the competition. We're often asked how the system works and who are these mysterious verifiers so just for you DennisN has come out of the shadows to give a little insight into the dark magic that is camera verification.

Firstly, there are over 40 of us, all volunteers, unpaid, doing the work on a part time basis. Because we're not employed by PGPSW, we Verify as an additional part of our lives. Generally, we prefer to be anonymous as it could be difficult if we were to get direct approaches from members. However, all the “Team” and “Moderators” are Verifiers too, so I'm “OUT” and can therefore offer some information...

Read DennisN's full article here.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article Dennis, I'm sure everyones efforts are really appreciated by the membership as a whole.

I can see that with only a few verifiers it can be a long and expensive job as you said, unless the cameras are not too far off route. With more verifiers the job would presumably be a lot more manageable.

On that note, if volunteers are required I would be only too happy to assist. Most of my driving is in London, the North and West Home Counties, and Oxfordshire, but I do occasional journeys visting family etc. which could provide extra opportunities.

I realise your article wasn't a recruitment 'drive', but the offers there if anyone wants to take it up.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting reading DennisN, like the new van, i presume MaFt is going to buy it for you Laughing Wink

Quote:
The chances of us seeing an actual mobile camera on site at the time we visit are very tiny - I myself have only once seen a camera van at a site I went to check and I once saw this local community speedwatch group (which is not a mobile camera).

Sorry it's not such a brilliant picture - I didn't fancy the full frontal approach to ask them to pose for the camera!

Why not?
I thought you required all the info possible.

The fuel cost must be heavy for you, even if it is somewhere near your existing routes, diversion off route still can be very expensive.
As you state not counting all the hours added to it.

Quote:
......(Members) asking about ‘their' camera - why hasn't it appeared in the database, why has it disappeared, how are cameras verified, when are they verified, how long does it take to verify?

I'm not surprised you get "rattled" when you read the posts on this subject, while they do all the "ranting" to get free lifetime memberships, you have to find your time and your fuel to keep them happy.

As SpikeyMikey said
Quote:
On that note, if volunteers are required I would be only too happy to assist

But my area is limited, at present my travelling is to and from work, with the occassional odd longer journey, but if it is within the East Kent area include me in, with notice of longer trips as and when it's possible.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
Vandam
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis,
Very interesting reading, and it gave me a better understanding as to how things are done.
Also i would like to thank you and the others that take on this task for no personel gian, not to mention the amount of time that you's sacrifice, what could be spent with your family's.
Thanks.
nuvi57LM
Devdarshan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Verifiers - Tahnk you Reply with quote

I am impressed and most importantly - touched. I appreciate all the efforts that goes into making such a sucessfull database.

I would sincerely like to thank all who have contributed towards this database and also hats off to those who keep it verified.

What would we do without you?

Cheers guys

Dev
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the report you state that -
Quote:
We recognise that POI Capture has the potential to pick coordinates that are inaccurate by the amount of time it takes someone to press the relevant icon. Not everybody has POI Capture, so their coordinates depend on how well they can set the cross hairs on the site submission map.

Any DriveSmart users reading this can capture POI's, (camera positions included), i get as near as possible to the camera before pressing the buttons.

As from the DS instruction book -

Quote:
Storing user-defined locations (Points of interest, POIs)

When the vehicle is at a location you wish to store for future alerts press the Up and Down buttons simultaneously. You will need to specify whether this is: an accident blackspot, a GATSO or Truvelo camera, SPECs start or stop point or delete location, by pressing the Up or Down buttons when prompted.
DriveSmart will record the current position into its permanent memory. The 'delete location' feature will over-ride the main database so that
no warning is given at that location in future – this is a useful feature for removing locations which are no longer valid until a corrected version of the main database is issued for download. When POIs are downloaded to your PC, these locations are marked 'delete'.
The list of stored user-defined locations can be erased through the Erase POI function in the settings menu – select 'yes' then press the Mode button to confirm.

I have noticed that some of the camera positions listed (where known) on the map, seem to be off target, sometimes a fair bit.
I know it is good to have a camera marked somewhere in the area we are driving through so as to be aware, but often the spoken warning starts too early for the camera position (annoying) or worse still late - you can get away with it on a Gatso but not so clever on a forward facing Truvelo or mobile van camera.

I think members submitting camera positions should take more care on their co-ordinates, it depends on how well they can set the cross hairs on the site submission map to get an accurate position, but this can keep verifiers wasted time looking for a camera position to a minimum - especially now that we can all read how much time and effort goes into this.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver

Last edited by GJF on Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Dennis. I did not realise that you took the job seriously enough to have your van decorated like it is. The sighnwriting must have cost a fortune. Very Happy
Seriously though. Good work mate

Trev
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tut tut, all this praise for DennisN. Just think how many more verifications he could have done if he hadn't spent two weeks painting his van and spending about a month one finger typing his 'Best Seller'. Razz
TVR
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis - You unsung hero!

Great work well done to all the volunteers. Not Worthy

Like other submission before me, I do Approx 55,000 mile/year in the North East area of the UK. If you need assistance you know where To find me.

Sygic for android in HD
Cameralert - pending

TomTom consigned to the bin, after 6 years loyal service.

Last edited by TVR on Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Tut tut, all this praise for DennisN. Just think how many more verifications he could have done if he hadn't spent two weeks painting his van and spending about a month one finger typing his 'Best Seller'. Razz
How true!! And let's not tell them that last week I sent in verifications for half a dozen submissions which were from an ancient list which had already been dealt with by other Verifiers! Embarassed

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And let's not tell them that last week I sent in verifications for half a dozen submissions which were from an ancient list which had already been dealt with by other Verifiers!

It's our secret. Wink My lips are sealed.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting insight into the process, thanks DennisN. Wink

I guess it's a bit of a reminder that real people do go and verify the submissions on their own time so it helps if folks provide good comments and accurate position information when they submit!

Keep up the good work!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
An interesting insight into the process, thanks DennisN. Wink

I guess it's a bit of a reminder that real people do go and verify the submissions on their own time so it helps if folks provide good comments and accurate position information when they submit!

Keep up the good work!
I think it's VERY important that people read the first few words I wrote - there are over 40 of us. I'm just the fat old noisy one, the others are also out there giving just as willingly their own time, fuel and wear and tear on their vehicles.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is fast becoming the Dennis'N Appreciation Society, and not enough is being said about the 39 others who accually do all the work. So I call for a thread title change to The Dennis And Friends Fellowship Trust. You can all be called DAFFT for short. Cool

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
You can all be called DAFFT for short.
I cannot speak for the other 38 but being DAFFT certainly helps at times - BEHAVE Police - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: