Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Battery Related Information
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery Related Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kidstypike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
This is a known issue that you are told about when you open the box, I simply remove a cell when I don't need to use the unit - only once have I forgotten and flattened a new(ish) set of Lithium cells - Mike

You are told about this issue when you spend 300 sheets, and open the box? Never mind, maybe you can download a simple on-off toggle switch from their website in the near future!!!

kidstypike
bryanwal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
This is a known issue that you are told about when you open the box, I simply remove a cell when I don't need to use the unit - only once have I forgotten and flattened a new(ish) set of Lithium cells - Mike
regarding the battery issue i leave my 2700 mah rechargables i my active 10 with no probs .last used unit sunday gone ,checked tonite and meter still showing 4 bars
bryanwal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bryanwal wrote:
mikealder wrote:
regarding the battery issue i leave my 2700 mah rechargables i my active 10 with no probs .last used unit sunday gone ,checked tonite and meter still showing 4 bars
guess what its still on 4 bars, is every body sure they are switching unit off properly
nataliej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have checked mine and it still has ample battery life!!
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Satmap Active 10 Reply with quote

merroarc wrote:

My earlier problem with freezing screen etc was cured by slightly tightening (with advice from Satmap team) the battery contacts.

Can you explain that a little more? Many of my freezes have occurred when stationary...not sure how it could be a battery contact issue.
merroarc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: freezing Reply with quote

My freezing problems happened when I put new batteries in first time, I could only un-freeze the device by taking the batteries out and re-inserting them, twice.
Since then it has happened when on the move on the bike. I felt this was due to loose or not sufficiently tight batteries jiggling about inside the unit. I spoke to Satmap who said I could carefully tighten the battery terminals to improve the fit.
Have you got version 1.03 software ? This seems to help all sorts of issues.
Speak to Satmap, I have found them really helpful.
Cheers,
Simon
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you intend carrying fully charged high power cells around you should consider a box that not only keeps the cells safe but prevents them from shorting out and getting very hot, I use one of These - Mike
merroarc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Satmap Active 10 batteries Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
Thanks for that. I'm currently carrying 3 NH batteries in the front pouch of the carry case. I don't think they will short out, but I'll take extra precautions.
Is it an issue to leave them in the unit fully charged ? I've noted Robs problem although I think he might have a particulat problem.
Thanks,
Simon
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unit does draw current from the batteries even when switched off, over a few days this can flatten the cells - I usually remove batteries from my active 10 when it is not in use (most week days etc, work gets in the way of walking!) - Mike
bryanwal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The unit does draw current from the batteries even when switched off, over a few days this can flatten the cells - I usually remove batteries from my active 10 when it is not in use (most week days etc, work gets in the way of walking!) - Mike
as stated earlier mine's now had batteries in for over a fortnight and still on 3 bars
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had mine show 3 bars for several hours before going straight to Battery Critical.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think another accessory SatMap could consider is a bike mounted power pack, similar to the type used for the high power lights. I recently built a new battery pack for a mate using very high capacity D size rechargable cells, at 13,000mAHr it would power an active 10 for 35+ hours from a single charge on full back light with no power off.
The cells fit in a water bottle style carrier, they are not too heavy all that is required is the connector and replacement back cover - I would even consider this a viable addition to the rucksack for a longer walk over 3 or 4 days - Mike
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think another accessory SatMap could consider is a bike mounted power pack, similar to the type used for the high power lights. I recently built a new battery pack for a mate using very high capacity D size rechargable cells, at 13,000mAHr it would power an active 10 for 35+ hours from a single charge on full back light with no power off.
The cells fit in a water bottle style carrier, they are not too heavy all that is required is the connector and replacement back cover - I would even consider this a viable addition to the rucksack for a longer walk over 3 or 4 days - Mike

That's a good idea, although my preference would be for something that mounted underneath the stem or possibly under the top tube, behind the head tube (although I acknowledge that the latter works best on larger frames.) I prefer to reduce cable clutter and I like to use all my bottle mounts for drink! As for attaching it to the Satmap, perhaps the USB port might be a possibility? It would need effective sealing of course.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of batteries are you using where you only get 4 hours? Shocked

I did 95 miles on the road, around Dartmoor, with the screen on 70% all the time, no faffing with any powersaving, with a bit of scrolling around every now and then and I didn't turn it off at my sandwich stop so we are talking at least 7 hours from freshly charged 2500s

What this device has seen me do though, is buy a battery charger that can do 1,2,3 or 4 batteries at a time with voltage detection rather than the usual 2 or 4.
merroarc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: batteries Reply with quote

Hi robs1972,
I'm using NiH rechargeables and a 1 hour charger.
I've not run the device for more than 4 hours, but it did drop a bar at just before 4 hours. This was screen on all the time at 40% and it was around 2 degrees C. I think low temps have a large effect.
Thanks,
merroarc

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: