Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go 720 Traffic Sat Nav system - will not be released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go 720 Traffic Sat Nav system - will not be released

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tailormtm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: TomTom Go 720 Traffic Sat Nav system - will not be released Reply with quote

I have been eagerly awaiting the release of the Tomtom Go 720T (Traffic) sat nav. I have just spoken to Tomtom customer services and they say that this model will not be released in the UK due to too many problems with the traffic (TMC) receiver. This is all very strange as this 720T is being advertised as coming into stock with so many UK retailers. According to this customer service representative, due to the problems with the TMC Receiver on the Go 710 unit, they will not make any receiver for the UK market.

This is not the first time I have spoken to Tomtom about this matter, but it is the first time I have heard this answer. Does anyone out there have any info on this unit's release? The Garmin Nuvi 660 seems to incorporate the traffic device, so why cant Tomtom?

Would it be possible to buy a unit in Europe (where the 720T version is available) and use it as normal in the UK, or would there be associated problems?

Many thanks
bobmoss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to speak to TomTom customer support again as what they told you is wrong.

Halfords are currently showing the 720 Traffic in stock and the one I ordered at the weekend is currently with DHL to be delivered today! Ebuyer are also showing them as "in stock".

Curiously though, no-one else seems to have any stock in at the moment. Perhaps Halfords and Ebuyer have bought up all the stock!
tailormtm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

This is very curious as I have now just spoken to Tomtom again and told them a list of about 6 retailers (authorised Tomtom agents) that are showing this 720T on their websites. The response was that the 720T is for the European markets not for the UK. They are well aware that the TMC-aerial supplied with the 720T does not work properly in the UK. They went on to say that they are currently working on a specific TMC aerial for the UK, but have no release date as yet.

This is all very weird. Halfords, Comet, Inkino and even Tomtom's own UK site shows this 720T available for sale in a UK price!
bobmoss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my 720 traffic has just arrived from Halfords.

On the packet for the traffic receiver it says "If you have purchased this product in the United Kingdom, please read the enclosed leaflet...".

The leaflet basically tells you to go into the config and tell the TomTom that you are in the UK".

So whoever at customer support is saying that this version isn't for the UK is talking rubbish!
tailormtm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your main Tomtom box have 720 written on it, or 720T on it? Did the TMC Aerial come inside the complete box or as a separate package?

If its in a separate box, that means that you have been supplied the Euro TMC aerial which will function in the UK but not very well. Tomtom are developing a special aerial for the UK only apparently.
bobmoss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main TomTom box says "Go 720T" with the description of "Complete and portable car navigation system with traffic information".

The TMC aerial came inside the shrink wrapped box with the other bits and pieces.
tailormtm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spoken to Tomtom as this situtaion is really frustrating me. They say that any Tomtom 720T's in the UK are Euro spec and will not be officially released here. I would love to know how you get on with this unit's traffic facility.
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Go 720 Traffic Sat Nav system - will not be relea Reply with quote

tailormtm wrote:
According to this customer service representative, due to the problems with the TMC Receiver on the Go 710 unit, they will not make any receiver for the UK market.

Ask the customer service reps to check the TomTom site - in particular this press release -
New TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver Available In England (does this mean it doesn't work in Wales/Scotland???) (and the 720T was on their site under UK for at least week)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Go 720 Traffic Sat Nav system - will not be relea Reply with quote

JimmyTheHand wrote:
(does this mean it doesn't work in Wales/Scotland???)
I have not tried using the RDS device in Wales, but can confirm it worked very well last week going upto Elgin in North Scotland, it was interesting to see the regional traffic data on the display as the journey progressed.

Seriously though the device picks up data supplied from iTIS via a number of different radio stations (predominantly Classic FM, but others are being added), so it will work anywhere in the UK as well as Europe (it won't work if you take it to the USA as there is a different device required for that continent).

The 720T is the same as a standard 720, but it is supplied with the RDS-TMC device in the box, some people have found it cheaper to purchase a 720 and seperate RDS device, shop around to be sure though, and you need the new RDS receiver ending with part number .013 which is attached to the cable near the plug to ensure you get the latest (and working in the UK) unit - Mike
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Go 720 Traffic Sat Nav system - will not be relea Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
JimmyTheHand wrote:
(does this mean it doesn't work in Wales/Scotland???)
I have not tried using the RDS device in Wales, but can confirm it worked very well last week going upto Elgin in North Scotland,

I am sure you guessed it was a tongue in cheek comment - but having said that I would expect a European company to understand the UK isn't the same as England - so unless they have only released it in England?
NRG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: They did release it, but they should put it back in its cage Reply with quote

have the 720T. Used the traffic receiver first time today 4th December 2007 on a trip to Plymouth. It struggled to get a connection, did a couple of times briefly but no information came down.

Set off back the next day and I got a green circle (connected) immediately but no info until I got to Bristol when it popped up that there was a lane closure on the M4 with a 12 mile tailback adding 3 hours,

Blimey I thought thats good, showed me a map and everything, I was about to re-route when I saw a Motorways sign confirming it but it said delay 30 minutes??? 3 hours?? 30 Minutes?

As it was the first traffic notifcation I decided to risk it and check and I got to Junc 15 in about 25-30 minutes, gritting my teeth expecting the worst... yes there was a lane closure and I went through at 70mph, no queue for 12 yards never mind 12 miles, delay? NONE!

So my first venture proved to be not only incorrect but ridiculously incorrect so right at this moment I have to say it seems absolutely worthless so I would caution first anyone thinking about spending £50 on it.

I bought it with the tomtom so was much cheaper but Im wondering now if Ive wasted that money?

If anyone has had a more positive experience I would love to hear about it

Cheers

NRG

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: