Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Incorrect GPS Altitiude readout.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Incorrect GPS Altitiude readout.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russell2002
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Incorrect GPS Altitiude readout. Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a GPS built into my Acer N35 handheld.

The altitude readout is incorrect. It states I am 290feet above sea level, when I can see the sea beside me.

Any ideas.

Thanks.
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several reasons for this.

Probably the most important is that GPS in altitude terms is at best poor and at worst completely in-accurate. It only takes 3 sats to get a lat and log but to gain altitude it takes 4, which with todays receivers is not an issue, however, it is not totally correct even with 12 sats.

The other issue is what is sea level? In the UK it is set as the mean tide height of Newlyn Beach in Cornwall. This will be very different for example in Holland (under sea level according to the UK figues).

On my Flying (Garmin Pilot 111) GPS I can set a corrective figure for "sea level". Maybe your hardware (and possible software) has a similar feature?
russell2002
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

So is it accurate relative to two different readings. I do not need to know my actual height, but my height relative to a different place a few miles away.

Thanks,
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - if you watch the altitude display without moving, it will vary by quite substantial amounts over a short time period. So relative differences are not precise either. Averaging over a long (days) time period will produce a more accurate result.

You can get a more accurate altitude reading using barometeric devices (I have a SUUNTO watch with altimeter). If you calibrate this, correctly, immediately before a walk then the altitude can be reasonably accurate for a few hours or more - depending on the weather conditions.

The variation in GPS altitude is caused by the poor satellite geometery for determing height. All the 'visible' sats are above the GPS unit. For a more accurate fix you would need to see all the sats surrounding the GPS. For 2D positioning the visible sats can do a decent job.

Also the GPS altitude is relative to the curved plane (or spheroid) defined by the datum being used (usually WGS84). This mathematical surface may be above or below the accepted 0 metres ('sea-level') for the country you are in. If you are in the UK - change between WGS 84 and OSGB - you should get a small change in height displayed due to the difference between the reference planes.
russell2002
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

That makes sense now.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin units report the correct height, and they do it reasonably accurately too....
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Garmin units report the correct height, and they do it reasonably accurately too....

I have seen variations in height on both my GPS II+ and GPS60 GARMIN units.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
I have seen variations in height on both my GPS II+ and GPS60 GARMIN units.

Sure, it varies, but with a good reception my old GPS-V and Quest both report +/- 5 meters at sea level which is not too bad. My SiRF GPS is fairly accurate too. The rule of thumb is supposed to be that if your GPS reports accuracy to within (say) 10 meters, then the height accuracy is typically 1.5-2 times worse than this.

If you have a SiRF chipset then get a copy of SirfTech which will report the elipsiod and mean sea level heights correctly. Some programs just report the elipsiod height which would result in a height which is about 45 meters too high in the UK - this is the program's fault, not the GPS unit though...
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put very simply. The GPS signal doesn't give the height above sea level - It can only give your distance from the satellite.

Software then deduces the height; and depending upon it's sophistication (as explained elsewhere) this may or may not need 'correcting' depending upon where on the earth you are. (Due to the Earth not being an exact sphere)

As usual the actual value reported is subject the the normal accuracies of the technology/hardware/software.

While everything being equal, more satellite fixes should give a more accurate value, the actual positioning of the satellites in the sky is a also a significant factor.

Without going into too much detail, the further apart the satellites are - the better, but satellites in a straight line (no matter how far apart) do not give the best results.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: