Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pocket PC - version 4.40 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket PC - version 4.40 released

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SafeHarbor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: Pocket PC - version 4.40 released Reply with quote

Mapopolis has released the 4.41 version of its free viewer application for the Pocket PC. This release is evolutionary rather than revolutionary, but several bug fixes and small, nice improvements have been added. We invite all users of the "NC" Western European Map Pack to upgrade to this new release.

It can be found under Download App and Pocket PC PDA on the front page of our website.

Trial versions of local area maps for Western Europe, Canada, and the United States are available for download under Online Maps and Demo from the same front page menu.

4.41 was released to correct a bug introduced in 4.40 that caused the
Load on Map icons to not be present.
* 4.40 was a short-lived version that introduced the following:
** Adds color differentiation on Map Chooser and Log Listing Screen
** "Route There" changed to "Route to Closest" in popup when icon tapped
in Find -> All Places by Type
** Filtering search by zip code is now supported on North American ND maps.
** Adds a slight bias for the county/region star icon to compensate for
when a postal code or other icon is directly over an Open on Map icon
and the popup for the county/region cannot be obtained. The icon for
Karlsruhe, Germany was an example of this problem.
** Individual icons for some categories in Find -> All Places by Type
changed to be more recognizable.
** Updates pSpeak database for some specific mispronunciations and for
improved clarity.
israel_id
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the pocketgps team would do a review of Mapoplis 4.40 soon,
their last review was for version 3.18 last year i think. Thumbs Up
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Downloaded the demo verion of Mapopolis for the Pocket PC plus the maps for Berkshire and Buckinghamshire for a quick play today.

First impressions ...

Installation very good - althoguh there are no instructions on how to install maps (it's automatic when you click on one but trial and error to find this out) - being a demo this isn't too worrying.

Set up

Very easy to set up and configure if you've got any experience with GPS programmes

Use

this is a bit of a curates egg... Appearance is a bit basic - we've been spoiled by progs like TT2 I guess. Instructions are "interesting" you get a lot of information from the synthesized voice - possibly too much (think I would alter the frequency of directions if I were to keep the program - the option is there so you just need to play with it.

Speed of route calculation etc seems MUCH faster than with TT2, however I played with the calculation settings and it seems to calculate much longer routes than TT2 (it seems to dislike b roads intensely, I find TT2 tends to calculate routes pretty much as I would myself - except for it's preference of using the M4 to get onto the M25 from Slough rather than the M40).

Three things stand out using this programme :

1. The use of a 2D view rather than 3d makeans you get far more information on screen (road names etc). It also appears to be more responsive than TT2

2. The voice navigation whilst taking a lot of getting used to is very good - you get a lot of information - however using it to navigate all day in a city would probably drive you insane at least with the default voice set

3. The Final most noticeable thing is the absolutely awful interface - I'm sorry but this program is totally unsuitable for use whilst driving - everything is controlled by menus and icons - however all the icons are standard Pocket PC size - yes that's right - just imagine changing your destination at 70 mph at night by poking a nested set of menus about 5 mm across with your finger....

It's a shame - I can see why they've chosen to do this - they're worried about being compared to TT2 etc - however TT2's interface works because it's the obvious way to go with such a small screen - multi tabbed windows and LARGE icons.

Sorry to be so down on this program - in many ways it's superior to TT2 but it just isn't suitable for the task it's designed for IMO.

DinAlt
SafeHarbor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, DinAlt,

Thank you very much for providing this report and your perspective.

While we hope that you're not trying to program your PDA while zooming down the road, please investigate the "Route to Favorite" setting, where you can set up a button to automatically route you home (or elsewhere).

And, yes, although we're relatively new to your market and still learning, our philosphy is more about speed, accuracy, and functionality than about "eye candy."

Please adjust your settings more toward "Exhaustive," which in American Engilish means "Try more routes." And tweak that with your highway preferences. I think you'll see an improvement in your routing.

Also, remember that our objective is to do it all on the PDA. Plans change in mid-route sometimes, and we want to accommodate that.

A typical, and efficient, use of our program is to select a starting "county," a destination county, and the intervening major road maps between. If you do this, you will have very rapid routing from a specific address to a specific address at the destination... If you then tap along your route, you can load detail maps that will "populate" your route all along the way. When you save this route, you can later recall it and automatically load all the detail maps along the way, thus producing a "corridor" if you want to venture off.

And that venturing off is fully supported, because the program's active route guidance is always looking for your original solution. You can recall the route at any time, and it will make the corrections for you.

My new friend, I had to laugh at your description of the program as "bit basic." It's a mapping program. What's more important than the map? Smile

Be that as it may, thank you for looking at the program and providing valuable feedback for us. Mapoplis is a complex program with a simple interface, but I think that if you peer closely, you'll find that's there a lot of power "under the hood."

Lamar @ mapopolis
Willo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When planning routes with TTN are you using a large map or one the same size as the Mapopolis map. I have found TTN very quick when using small maps. I also agree that using TTN while in car is easier. I'm in the UK and my PDA is dash mounted to the left of my steering wheel and I am right handed. Simple operations: alternative route, navigate to favorite etc are easily accessible with a left handed finger stab. I do regularly plan routes with both and find issues with both but prefer TTN by a mile because of the 3d map view and the 'human' voice. There are things in mapopolis that would be great to have in TTN but it gets me to my destination easily.
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

Firstly, I've decided to give Mapopolis another go after Safeharbor' reply Smile

Just a few quick notes - I do like the program - it's voice notification system is much better than that of TomTom - I especially like the "Road X is next" - this is very useful when in urban areas and there is a slight amount of lag. The standard voice is a bit hard to understand - you need to train your ears a bit to tune into t - although it is very annoyign that it doesnt appear to be able to say Point (or perhaps it gets clipped as it's the first word it says in urban travel usually). I've read that you can d'l voices that are a bit more soothing .

And now a quick run down on your comments Smile

I agree you shouldn't try to replan a journey mid stream but it happens - that's Murphy's Law - IMO there needs to be a way to use the program safely whilst driving.

My only other major problem is that the find address box should allow you to use more than 1 letter to make it easier to find stuff - unless I'm using it wrong I'm finding it faster to use the map - not much good if you don't know where your target is.

DinAlt
SafeHarbor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, DinAlt,

Please give me an example of an address you're trying to find and what maps you have loaded. We can compare notes.

Lamar @ mapopolis support
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently on a business trip to the USA. As I only have Europe maps for my Navman GPS3450 I downloaded Mapopolis 4.41 and maps for Milwaukee and Chicago. It's very good. Gave me complete confidence and instructions were clear. I do like statements such as "North Harbour Drive next on the left". This left me with confidence I was taking the correct turning. :D

Next time I visit the US I will buy the maps. Smile

One problem is that I could not locate the "State Major Road Maps" on the web site. This meant routing from Milwaukee to Chicago was not available. Probably need to buy these! Confused

Overall very impressed. Biggest plus was that my iPAQ did not crash once, whereas with SmartST V2 it locks on a regular basis. Mr. Green

Would be good if the Pocket GPS team did a review of this product. Most of the problems mentioned in the last review appear to be fixed. It even navigated around a roundabout - yes they do exist in the USA Exclamation
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do have reviews of Mapopolis on our site... The v4 review for the UK is currently being finalised.

The Major Roads maps will be visible when you purchase a subscription, but you can also lucky-guess their URLs in demo mode.

Roundabouts? You mean rotaries, don't you ? Or did you want to say traffic circles? ...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz,

When are the team going to release their UK review, this is interesting. If you could also intergrate the Pocket GPS Safety Camera Database this product would be a very strong competitor for TT!
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as I find time to sit down and complete the review. Far too much going on with moving house, family problems, health problems and other apps that have required more attention in writing a review on.

As soon as I get a chance to complete it, you'll see the completed version.

Currently my own health and family problems are taking most of my focus.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: