Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Membership Subscription Options Change
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Membership Subscription Options Change
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a Gatso 30 trial available as a one shot trial download but selectable by region, split the country into 5 bands, this would at least let people see how good the data is for the most prolific fixed camera type in any given area. Once the one shot trial databese has been downloaded a user would have no further access to download further regions other than to subscribe. I don't think the above would be too difficult to implement and it could still access live and upto data locations at no loss to the site.

Offering old data could misslead a potential customer, for the same reason I would not advocate the offer of the Mobile or pMobile locations, fixed cameras are easy to spot and would let someone check out the accuracy in their local area prior to purchase.

Something needs to be done in this area, as the manufacturers supply nav units pre loaded with ''rubbish'' databases, that most of us have tried, short of putting a PGPSW trial installation on the devices in the shops (which I do not see as viable in anyway shape or form) how else is a prospective customer permitted to check out the offering prior to subscription? - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll discuss as a priority and see if we can do this, I think if it's feasible it would be a great idea for new members.
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one other idea to throw in the pot, as the database is split into 3 distinct files already, subscribe to whichever you want single file zoned or consolidated at £8 each, i only use the zoned hence i save, some may use two so they pay double but still save and the very few who want all three pay a fiver more.
this way most casual users get a good deal as do single and double file users and the three file users pay the premium price for the max downloads, you could also refine this to only one download per month for the single file, two per month for double files and unlimited for premium
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I wouldn't fret too much about providing a trial version of the database in any shape or form.

You offer a 25 carat guarantee of the database quality with your offer of free lifetime membership to the first user who submits a new or removed camera. That's a pretty good deal!
johnboy1967
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am posting from a neutral standpoint as i currently do not subscribe to the forum.I currently run a navigon 6 with poi-warner and poi handler for the speedcam warnings although i am 99% certain i will subscribe to get a better database than i feel i have at the moment.

I have been curious since seeing the opening post regarding the pirated versions being seeded to render them ineffective,if so why do people continue to use the pirated version if it does not work.

The trial version may be a good idea to show the true quality of the database as this may be ironic but somebody using the ineffective pirated version may think that they have a "COPY" of the original database and question the true quality of the genuine database.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnboy1967 wrote:
If so why do people continue to use the pirated version if it does not work.
Naivety and stupidity spring to mind, the "owt for nowt" brigade will stop at nothing, at least people have a choice to either subscribe and download quality data or take their chance with a hard to find, out of date set of data that could at worst contain speed cameras in fields, rivers and lakes - each to their own I guess - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnboy1967 wrote:
I have been curious since seeing the opening post regarding the pirated versions being seeded to render them ineffective,if so why do people continue to use the pirated version if it does not work.

Because I assume in many cases they simply don't know, not that I care as those who seek solutions via such sources deserve all they get.

Many sources that we check claim to be current and are in fact older releases, in some case more than 12mths out of date!

eBay is just the same. I made a test purchase of a Navman database on Wednesday which was supposedly the Sept update. It was of course our data and turned out to be from July 06. Happily on this occasion when he sent me the database he kindly CC'd it to all his other customers so I was able to alert them all to the con they had fallen victim to. They had even paid £2.99 for this old data which suggests we have much work to do in making the availability of our service known to a wider audience!

The vendor has subsequently lost his account with eBay which is some small compensation!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Guys, I wouldn't fret too much about providing a trial version of the database in any shape or form.

You offer a 25 carat guarantee of the database quality with your offer of free lifetime membership to the first user who submits a new or removed camera. That's a pretty good deal!

I've said it before and I'll say it again ... that skippy has a lot more between his (or her) ears than bone and hair. What an amazingly perceptive comment!! Clap Not Worthy

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely - if the trial version of the database was a year old then I would have tried it then come back ro sign up for a year. Perhaps the mods should try it out - the problem with the database is there is no date stamp so folks buying off ebay dont know how old it is.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Louda wrote:
the problem with the database is there is no date stamp so folks buying off ebay dont know how old it is.

So we should add a date stamp so those buying from eBay know what version it is? Rolling Eyes Do you think that would make any difference!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a real problem - people not thinking that they're being conned before they part with their money Twisted Evil

eBay also has a knack of having items listed (new or used) for more than the same item sells for in the high street - but people still bid, get stung and have to pay P&P on top Rolling Eyes

Naivity is a wonderful thing until you wake up to reality

If something sounds like it's too good to be true, it usually is
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2p worth on a trial db.
I think that the once only download 'try before you buy' it is a great idea.
But using out of date data is NOT a good idea, as if a user's local gatso camera that has been in place for 3-4 months is not in the db, the user is likely to deduce that the main database is also to this poor standard. Surely, what we are trying to promote is the accuracy and 'up to datedness' of the PGPSW database when compared with the generally more expensive and out of date (so I hear) manufacturers competition. For similar reasons, I don't think that a db full of dummy cams is a good idea either as I guess that most users know how their cam 'detector' works, but just want the best cam database available.
I go along with the suggestion of 30mph cams with a limited geographical area but suspect that this might be a problem for MaFt to produce and correctly identify to the user.
Trev
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another thought, on publicity. I Googled 'safety cameras', 'speed cameras' and 'road cameras'. On the first, PocketGPS comes 3rd in the list; it doesn't appear on the first page with the other two. Google was how I originally came to PGPS. (SpeedcamerasUK comes up on all 3, btw)

Two points - does anyone know how to get PGPS to appear more "up-front" in the other 2 lists (something about popularity ratings, choice of keywords, or such?); and can the 2-line extract on the page be made to say something really positive about the PGPS database (whatever you would like it to)?

Or is it all down to Google?

Sorry to waste peoples' time if this is a no-no.
dsk9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore the negative and (probably deliberately) inflammatory comments Darren. You have my full support as well. You provide a damn good service, and as such I expect to pay for it.

Anyone who thinks £19 per year is too much to help keep a clean licence and save anything up to £600 in fines is just not thinking!

And before anyone thinks I added the extra zero by accident, the "fines" can amount to that much if you take into account the possible loading on your insurance premiums for a period of five years after a speeding offence, especially if you have more than one vehicle driven by several people, and at least one of them has been caught speeding more than once. Insurance companies vary in their approach, and a lot depends on how many speeding convictions you have, but despite the cost of the official fine, the final bill could be a heck of a lot more than sixty quid.

And again, I know the points only stay on your licence for three years, but some insurance companies continue the premium loading for five years. How do they get away with that, when according to the Law you have a clean licence again?

Keep up the good work

Dave
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Just another thought, on publicity. I Googled 'safety cameras', 'speed cameras' and 'road cameras'. On the first, PocketGPS comes 3rd in the list; it doesn't appear on the first page with the other two. Google was how I originally came to PGPS. (SpeedcamerasUK comes up on all 3, btw)

Two points - does anyone know how to get PGPS to appear more "up-front" in the other 2 lists (something about popularity ratings, choice of keywords, or such?); and can the 2-line extract on the page be made to say something really positive about the PGPS database (whatever you would like it to)?

Or is it all down to Google?

Sorry to waste peoples' time if this is a no-no.

It's a bit of a black art but Rob is a Google Guru. if you google for more specific keywords such as TomTom Speed Cameras, Navman Speed Cameras, POI Speed Cameras etc you will find us No1 in the search results.

The other text in the extract is chosen by Google.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 25 of 32

Jump to: