Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Membership Subscription Options Change
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Membership Subscription Options Change
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Laughing Out Louda wrote:
the problem with the database is there is no date stamp so folks buying off ebay dont know how old it is.

So we should add a date stamp so those buying from eBay know what version it is? Rolling Eyes Do you think that would make any difference!

If buyers were aware when they received the data that it was out of date then there is the opportunity to give -ve feedback. However I take the point that a 1 year old trial db may be assumed to be inaccurate so also put buyers off.

re: renewing my subs - 16 days to go - do I pay up now or do I wait for a reminder? I'm quite happy to pay up whenever to avoid disconnection.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Louda wrote:
re: renewing my subs - 16 days to go - do I pay up now or do I wait for a reminder? I'm quite happy to pay up whenever to avoid disconnection.

Entirely up to you, if you renew now it will be added to any remaining subscription you still have so you won't lose anything. if you wait you will get an auto reminder on the day before expiry via email and a warning after expiry when you next visit.
mrgrimsby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom line is if we all obeyed the law then we wouldn't need to spend 19 quid at all and although I think this camera database is the best there is and the staff who work for it are wonderful I do think it's ironic that an ex traffic cop actually promotes and benefits from something that encourages one to break the law.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgrimsby wrote:
I do think it's ironic that an ex traffic cop actually promotes and benefits from something that encourages one to break the law.

Stop! Now, now, Mr G, that's a definite No, No. This site is regularly emphasising that you should NOT exceed the speed limit, that you should NOT use the camera database to avoid getting caught speeding. Use it to keep yourself on your toes and aware of blackspots.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgrimsby wrote:
The bottom line is if we all obeyed the law then we wouldn't need to spend 19 quid at all and although I think this camera database is the best there is and the staff who work for it are wonderful I do think it's ironic that an ex traffic cop actually promotes and benefits from something that encourages one to break the law.

That is complete rubbish. The use of a safety camera database does not encourage anyone to break the law!

Even the Government have given their approval to Safety camera POIs, they were specifically allowed in the Road Safety Bill as they are considered to IMPROVE road safety.
mrgrimsby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that this government approve anything means nothing at all the sooner they are hoofed out the better , but lets not get political , Please explain to me the purpose of having SPEED camera warnings on a electronic device, I was under the impression that if you approached a camera and you were exceeding the speed limit you would know a camera was ahead and slow down to the speed limit? we all know that if a camera can be deployed in a stretch of road signs are erected to tell you and also the speed limit on any particular stretch of road is signed at regular intervals to remind us of that limit . so I am sorry Darren but I do not agree with you but I do apologise for drifting off topic ever so slightly and I would again remind you that I admire your work and love this web site!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, though, we are all too human.

As someone who (because of talkative elderly relatives) has picked up 2 tickets on newly installed cameras in other areas where a speed limit had just been introduced, I have to say I would really have appreciated a bong or two instead. Of course I should have been concentrating more (but some will understand how difficult this can be!). And I'm sure many of us have been alarmed by a driver in front suddenly braking when they notice a camera up close.

It is similar to my use of cruise control in a speed limited area, which I am lucky enough to have. It is possible to keep checking your speed but then you are distracted from the road, which can be even more of a hazard.

If all of us were perfect we wouldn't need regulations - but that's life.
mrgrimsby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point bigperk and you are 100% right , I am perfect so have to try and understand this human factor side of the argument , The fact remains though, and it is a fact, that if you obey the law on the highway you will not get a fine and you would not need to spend £19 on a SPEED camera database, I have had my say now and will not mention it anymore.
Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgrimsby wrote:
The fact remains though, and it is a fact, that if you obey the law on the highway you will not get a fine and you would not need to spend £19 on a SPEED camera database, I have had my say now and will not mention it anymore.

Then why did you subscribe recently!
mrgrimsby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! caught out again!!!! I was just curious Darren.......just wanted to see what all the fuss was about, it doesn't alter the facts though does it??
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
BigPerk wrote:
Just another thought, on publicity. I Googled 'safety cameras', 'speed cameras' and 'road cameras'. On the first, PocketGPS comes 3rd in the list; it doesn't appear on the first page with the other two. Google was how I originally came to PGPS. (SpeedcamerasUK comes up on all 3, btw)

Two points - does anyone know how to get PGPS to appear more "up-front" in the other 2 lists (something about popularity ratings, choice of keywords, or such?); and can the 2-line extract on the page be made to say something really positive about the PGPS database (whatever you would like it to)?

Or is it all down to Google?

Sorry to waste peoples' time if this is a no-no.

It's a bit of a black art but Rob is a Google Guru. if you google for more specific keywords such as TomTom Speed Cameras, Navman Speed Cameras, POI Speed Cameras etc you will find us No1 in the search results.

The other text in the extract is chosen by Google.

Thankfully we are number 1 for several thousand key phrases across Google, Yahoo, MSN, etc. The resultant traffic, according to Alexa, puts us in the top 2000 busiest UK websites.

I'm also pleased to say that we are often number 1 for the phrases you mention BigPerk - it depends on the criteria Google use at the time of indexing, but also seems to rely on what happens to be the prevalent stories on our front page.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgrimsby wrote:
Damn! caught out again!!!! I was just curious Darren.......just wanted to see what all the fuss was about, it doesn't alter the facts though does it??

It does as your view of the facts is opposed to mine. Perhaps all the other subscribers are merely curious Laughing
mrgrimsby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we could go on like this all night and most of tomorrow Darren , can we agree to disagree please and let others carry on the debate? Very Happy
littlesthobo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgrimsby wrote:
I see your point bigperk and you are 100% right , I am perfect so have to try and understand this human factor side of the argument , The fact remains though, and it is a fact, that if you obey the law on the highway you will not get a fine and you would not need to spend £19 on a SPEED camera database, I have had my say now and will not mention it anymore.
Thanks

The government tells us that cameras are put at accident black spots to stop certain members of the public from speeding and causing more accidents. Surely even if you never speed and obey the law and are "perfect" then it would still be a useful tool to warn you over accident black spots and take a bit more care than normal. Obviously if you always take care then it'll still warn you to look out for others who may not on that particular black spot!
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlesthobo wrote:
The government tells us that cameras are put at accident black spots to stop certain members of the public from speeding and causing more accidents. Surely even if you never speed and obey the law and are "perfect" then it would still be a useful tool to warn you over accident black spots and take a bit more care than normal. Obviously if you always take care then it'll still warn you to look out for others who may not on that particular black spot!

There is an accident blackspot POI, I don't know if it is any good but it is free. Or it was.

I can see the sense behind the idea, and for people who are on the road every day then the price is small change for what it's worth. I know if I was on the road every day I would snap it up at that price. However I rarely feel I need it and since it has become subscription based I have only subscribed once for when we drove to Disneyland Paris. In my local area cameras rarely change, or appear or disappear, the notable exception is one mobile camera I submitted ages ago and (unless it is in the new issue) never appeared on the software, which did make me wonder if it was happening to other users. Actually I wasn't subscribed at the time,I wonder if that was the reason, but I did look on the map and submit it when I saw the camera as I wondered if it had been submitted already. In my area I just add them manually and check the online and see if they are already submitted, so far only one I have come across has not already been submitted. Still it's a great product but I doubt I will update again, although I would if my circumstances changed or it reverted to a monthly subscription.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 26 of 32

Jump to: