Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hi everyone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi everyone
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been to Ebay. Someone is selling a quantity of New Drivesmarts. Buy Now price for one is £114. whilst others are set to be bid on from £4.99

There's also a link www.drivesmartsupport.com from the seller description which is not the old website page but still seems to be trying to flog DS items etc. This page is offering a database update for Sep 07 whilst the old website is still 240607? Something going on. Unless its my paranoia coming back.

They are also using your review of the Drivesmart Darren as part of the sales promotion!
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My DS unit is working great with the pgpsw database, despite our thoughts and comments on the DS team the unit is good.

PaulaThree, two big advantages which will be hard to beat for the money are the "Specs" camera info and the warnings are directional.

I'm still not sure whether the "Specs" are working correctly on the database, as there were some issues, but as i haven't been through any of them recently i can't comment, but if there were any problems, the pgpsw team (MaFt) is always more than helpful to rectify database faults.

If you PM me on the installation problems, i will put the DS software on my computer and try and talk you through it on the phone, as i can talk daytime most days.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
jaskel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuttynurse wrote:
Just been to Ebay. Someone is selling a quantity of New Drivesmarts. Buy Now price for one is £114. whilst others are set to be bid on from £4.99

There's also a link www.drivesmartsupport.com from the seller description which is not the old website page but still seems to be trying to flog DS items etc. This page is offering a database update for Sep 07 whilst the old website is still 240607? Something going on. Unless its my paranoia coming back.

They are also using your review of the Drivesmart Darren as part of the sales promotion!

That website is NOT run by Neil, it is the original designers and people who own the IP to all DS products have set it up as they are trying to provide tech support to the DS range.

I know this for a fact as I have spoken direct to the people involved. They are completly 100% seperate from neil.

Just had to clear that up.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaskel wrote:
.........That website is NOT run by Neil, it is the original designers and people who own the IP to all DS products have set it up as they are trying to provide tech support to the DS range.

I know this for a fact as I have spoken direct to the people involved. They are completly 100% seperate from neil.

Hi Jaskel great to see you are still interested with DS, i thought you had thrown the thing out the window when going through the outbacks.

Can't remember but didn't you buy a Cheetah as well as the LPP, if so how are you getting on with it, or what ever else have you replaced the DS with?

I can see that the cricket is quite, as you Aussie's haven't had much to say lately. Wink
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info professor jaskel, alias the wizard of oz. I would still be wary of buying a DS these days especially as its not clear what support is available (apart from the pgpsw own of course) and where its coming from. Perhaps a statement from the "original designers themselves would help clarify matters?

GJF don't get upsetting jaskel about Cricket or Football he's very sensitive. Razz

Last edited by nuttynurse on Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
jaskel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey yeah im still here....yeah i have the Cheetah and LPP and it kicks butt! im confident everytime i drive and i am protected 100%

I have many different radar and laser guns and RDD units, i have made up part of a team here for testing all sorts of radar and laser jammers, we have a good collection of detectors and jammers.

Kinda got bored of the whole industry...we are indepents now so its good!

glad to see yall around!

jas

p.s cricket season is starting soon ;) my comissorations for the season already ;) Laughing Out Loud
PaulaThree
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Sorry I have not been around this last week.

Richard's and my dog Jake died recently.

We have been busy with giving him a wonderful " Life Celebration " at the lovely 'Silvermere Haven' near Cobham, Surrey.

He was a GSD/Collie cross and was 15 years and 10 months old.

Like all of our pets, JD ( Jakedog ) was our " Best Friend " and he touched many people's lives who got to know him.

He was such a gentle soul.

His spirit still lives on however and I know that he is still watching over all of us who were privileged to know him.

RIP JD

xxx's

Anyway, that DS probably was the one that I bought...... Smile

Paula

nuttynurse wrote:
I saw a DS going for over £50 recently on ebay.
PaulaThree
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Hi GJF Reply with quote

I will PM my phone number and will call you back re this if I may......l Very Happy

This forum is awesome........ Smile Very Happy Cool Razz

Paula

GJF wrote:
My DS unit is working great with the pgpsw database, despite our thoughts and comments on the DS team the unit is good.

PaulaThree, two big advantages which will be hard to beat for the money are the "Specs" camera info and the warnings are directional.

I'm still not sure whether the "Specs" are working correctly on the database, as there were some issues, but as i haven't been through any of them recently i can't comment, but if there were any problems, the pgpsw team (MaFt) is always more than helpful to rectify database faults.

If you PM me on the installation problems, i will put the DS software on my computer and try and talk you through it on the phone, as i can talk daytime most days.
PaulaThree
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi GJF Reply with quote

Hi again GJF,

Can you PM me your phone number and I will call you re installing my Drivesmart info on my PC.

Nite

Paula

PaulaThree wrote:
I will PM my phone number and will call you back re this if I may......l Very Happy

Paula

GJF wrote:

PaulaThree
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Hi GJF Reply with quote

Hiya Guy,

Thank you for all your help on Saturday.

Tomorrow evening ( Tuesday ) my next door neighbour and I are going to download everything from here on to his PC that has Windows XP installed.

The USB Serial Cable that came with my Drivesmart should work OK and I can use the Instruction Book that also was supplied with the unit.... Smile

What again are the two different up to date downloads that I need from here Question

Nite

Paula

PaulaThree wrote:
Hi again GJF,

Can you PM me your phone number and I will call you re installing my Drivesmart info on my PC.

Nite

Paula

PaulaThree wrote:

Paula

GJF wrote:

Last edited by PaulaThree on Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:04 am; edited 2 times in total
PaulaThree
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hi GJF Reply with quote

I am back again,

As I am using his computer not mine, so when I go on to this website apart from entering PaulaThree, is there anything else that I need to enter when signing on, so that I can view all the information that I need Question

Paula

PaulaThree wrote:
Hiya Guy,

Thank you for all your help on Saturday.

Tomorrow evening ( Tuesday ) my next door neighbour and I are going to download everything from here on to his PC that has Windows XP installed.

The USB Serial Cable that came with my Drivesmart should work OK and I can use the Instruction Book that cam with the unit.... Smile

What again are the two different up to date downloads that I need from here Question

Nite

Paula

PaulaThree wrote:
Hi again GJF,

Nite

Paula

PaulaThree wrote:

Paula

GJF wrote:

PaulaThree
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Hi again Guy Reply with quote

Having just read this from Nuttynurse, shall I download anything from here when I set up my DS this evening with my next door neighbour.. Question

Nite again

Paula

nuttynurse wrote:

GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paula,

Quote:
I am back again,

As I am using his computer not mine, so when I go on to this website apart from entering PaulaThree, is there anything else that I need to enter when signing on, so that I can view all the information that I need

Paula

You can login from any computer, for access to the PGPSW site, providing you fill in both the Paula Three and your password.

Quote:
The USB Serial Cable that came with my Drivesmart should work OK and I can use the Instruction Book that also was supplied with the unit....

The USB Serial cable is fine, but the software described in the DS instruction book is now out of date.

Quote:
What again are the two different up to date downloads that I need from here

You require the following -
1) The latest PGPSW database from this site, which is a single file for the DS. When you have downloaded the file, un-zip or extract all the files to your computer (remember to leave on the computer where you can find them again).
When extracted you will have the choice of two files, depending whether you want ALL the mobile cameras or not.
Don't worry about this, at this stage, you will be given this option later when using the DS loader software.

2) The latest DS loader instructions which are here - DS LOADER AND INSTRUCTIONS TO INSTALL.
I would use Option-2, Private loader version 1.4.16 which you can download at the end of Option-2, line 1 or direct from here DS LOADER - PRIVATE VERSION

You will also need to know the com port the USB Serial cable is attached.
As we went through on Saturday go to Start/settings/Control Panel/System/Device Manager - look under ports and find the USB to Serial entry line, the (Com **) is on the end of the line.
This is for the first top left hand box of the DS loader software, don't forget to set the Baud rate to 115200.

You don't need anything on nuttynurse's mentioned web site, as it contains the wrong loader for the PGPSW database.

If you give me a ring between 9am and 4pm tomorrow (Wednesday 10th) I will talk you through it, if not, good luck and let us know how you got on.

PS.
If you are using the PGPSW database for the first time on this private loader you will need to delete the old DS database files from your DS unit, (this doesn't apply for Option-1).
If this isn't done you will have duplication of two databases on the one unit.
For the first use of the private loader only, just before pressing the WRITE button press the ERASE button.

Last edited by GJF on Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
PaulaThree
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Drivesmart update Reply with quote

Hi Guy,

Many thanks for your awesome reply.... Very Happy

Hey everyone, "Good news re Drivesmart support".

I logged on to the website that Nuttynurse mentioned recently on here:

See: http://www.drivesmartsupport.com/

I sent them an e-mail last night and they acknowledged receipt of it right away.... Smile

Then this morning their Julien replied with great detail.

Now we have two methods of updating our Drivesmarts.... Cool

These are some of the questions that I asked and Julien's immediate replies.

I asked about their support.

His reply - Please download all the items from the main support page. The new database came out yesterday ( Monday Oct 8th 07 ), so please upload that to your unit. There will also be another update shortly. We have been supporting the product pretty well much since the owners of the website who were selling our products stopped supporting it and we will continue to do so.

He also said "Have I read the manual about updating my unit and if I have any questions or need help, please mail us here".

My reply:

Is this Page 11 - Uploading software upgrades to your DRIVE-SMART?

My next door neighbour said that he can upload this for me on his PC that has Windows XP installed.I do have the USB to Serial Cable and the appropriate Installation Guide for Microsoft XP. My PC runs on Windows 98 and it's memory is nearly full.......I am upgrading to a new Tosiba Laptop soon.

He then replied back and said:

Yes, if you need the new USB drivers, I can supply them to you if you don't have an original DS disk? The USB will work fine on XP. On Win98, you are best using a standard serial cable as the USB support is awful.

Just follow the instructions in the installation guide, if you get stuck by all means mail us back and we will get it going for you.

I then wrote an e-mail to him and said:

Good news, I have the original DriveSmart Utility CD.

He replied:

Yes, that CD should be fine, it has USB drivers on them. If they don't work, I have a super driver installation I can send you.

I also asked him if he had any window brackets for the unit.

He replied:

We don't carry any products here except those for warranty. We have recently licensed to a manufacturer in the Far East and I will ask for you what they have.

He also said:

The company who were selling our products in the UK no longer has a licence so cannot make anything else without our permission. I don't think that they have any stock. I know that there are some distributors carrying stock out there on the internet, you might be able to pick one up from.

In another e-mail he said this:

We are the people who designed the DS products.

I then mentioned to him by my next e-mail to him about Nuttynurses post on here dated Wed Sept 26 @ 4.37am.

He replied as follows:

Yes that's us www.drivesmartsupport.com we have NOTHING to do with www.drive-smart.co.uk who were selling our designs.

We don't sell any products from that site, so Nuttynurse is incorrect. We just support the products from there and make new announcements eg. new products etc.

Hope all this up to date information is helpful to all we Drivesmart owners.

Take care

Paula

GJF wrote:
Paula three wrote:
Quote:
I am back again,

As I am using his computer not mine, so when I go on to this website apart from entering PaulaThree, is there anything else that I need to enter when signing on, so that I can view all the information that I need

Paula

You can login from any computer, for access to the PGPSW site, providing you fill in both the Paula Three and your password.

Quote:
The USB Serial Cable that came with my Drivesmart should work OK and I can use the Instruction Book that also was supplied with the unit....

The USB Serial cable is fine, but the software described in the DS instruction book is now out of date.

Quote:
What again are the two different up to date downloads that I need from here

You require the following -
1) The latest PGPSW database from this site, which is a single file for the DS. When you have downloaded the file, un-zip or extract all the files to your computer (remember to leave on the computer where you can find them again).
When extracted you will have the choice of two files, depending whether you want ALL the mobile cameras or not.
Don't worry about this, at this stage, you will be given this option later when using the DS loader software.

2) The latest DS loader which is here - DS LOADER AND INSTRUCTIONS TO INSTALL.
I would use Option-2, Private loader version 1.4.16 which you can download at the end of Option-1, line 1 or direct from here DS LOADER - PRIVATE VERSION

3) You need to know the com port the USB Serial cable is attached.
As we went through on Saturday go to Start/settings/Control Panel/Device Manager - look under ports and find the USB to Serial entry line, the (Com **) is on the end of the line.
This for the first top left hand box of the DS loader software, don't forget to set the Baud rate to 115200.

You don't need anything on nuttynurse's mentioned web site.

If you give me a ring between 9am and 4pm tomorrow (Wednesday 10th) I will talk you through it, if not, good luck and let us know how you got on.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaskel wrote:
That website is NOT run by Neil, it is the original designers and people who own the IP to all DS products have set it up as they are trying to provide tech support to the DS range.

Are you certain of that, it all smells distinctly dodgy to me especially as the domain has had ownership details masked.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: