Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The Navman iCN520 Personal Navigation Device review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The Navman iCN520 Personal Navigation Device review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colin_w
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
Caveat Emptor : - There are numerous discussions on all of the issues on this forum, although at £129 you still got a bargin.....

I may have done , but at £99 pounds for a map update
(of which I can not afford)
I will have to put up with driving in a field -- because the road was not built in 2004
darrenwright
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a pile of **** navman are, for months they have said they would release a software update & map update for the the ICN520. in the end they only release a ******* map update...i am now selling the ICN520 & will buy a tomtom instead as Navman are full of *****, the lying *****

Edited by Tim to remove the foul language. Please don't post messages in this tone again.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go darren. Using you feet rather than (in your case- as well as) your mouth to talk to multi-nationals is also more productive.

Good luck with TT. My next purcahse will probably be a paper map, as I am not certain they, or any other manufacturer, are any better.

Take the only effective advise on offer here - Caveat Emptor.
colin_w
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: further problems ICN520 Reply with quote

ok , I can put up with the road being not there !!
but it's now telling the wrong time !!
looking at the preferences it reads correctly !!
but then go back to the front screen and it says
9:00 am -- when it's only 8:20am
and if u try to change the offset it just is completly off !!

and how exactly do u put in the avoid areas ?
I can't see how ?

Question Evil or Very Mad
nortonbeak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: further problems ICN520 Reply with quote

colin_w wrote:
ok , I can put up with the road being not there !!
but it's now telling the wrong time !!
looking at the preferences it reads correctly !!
but then go back to the front screen and it says
9:00 am -- when it's only 8:20am
and if u try to change the offset it just is completly off !!

and how exactly do u put in the avoid areas ?
I can't see how ?

Question Evil or Very Mad

The time may not be wrong but may be giving you the ETA. Do you have a route programmed in?

To set avoid area, tap the map, the cursor comes up, tap the map again and select add avoid area from the little menu.
colin_w
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I did have a route in ?
but the time
for example
it should have read 8.30am
but it said 9.10am
when it got later the time
got a little closer to the real time
it said 9.00 when it was only 8.46am

it does not do it all the time ?
only some days ?
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost certainly the time you are seeig is the ETA, not the current time - The current time is from the GPS and accurate to one second. If you have a GPS fix, and the displayed time is not correct to the minute then the display is NOT the current time.

Read the manual to find out how to change the value displayed in the feild (On the 3D screen used the left or right direction keys on the toggle). Unfortunately the Navamn does not tell you what it is displaying except when you change it.
sinno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Navman 520 speed camera download Reply with quote

Hi

Can anyone help,having major problem when i have downloaded speed camera data on my satnav 520, it does not warn when i approach any speed camera it only informs me that the camera is there?

MikeS.
keithjeffrey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you downloaded the speed camera files onto you 520 did you tick the active box and also the audio alert and visual alert boxes ?
If you did'nt , that would explain why you are'nt getting a warning.
sinno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Navman 520 Reply with quote

keithjeffrey wrote:
When you downloaded the speed camera files onto you 520 did you tick the active box and also the audio alert and visual alert boxes ?
If you did'nt , that would explain why you are'nt getting a warning.

Hi Keith

Thanks for your reply yes i ticked all boxes, other problems encounted after speed camera download on to satnav warning charm on all the time, is there any way of checking without going past speed camera
if working?

MikeS
keithjeffrey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Navman 520 speed camera download Reply with quote

sinno wrote:
Hi

Can anyone help,having major problem when i have downloaded speed camera data on my satnav 520, it does not warn when i approach any speed camera it only informs me that the camera is there?

MikeS.

I have read your post again and I think it is doing what it should be doing.
The only other thing you can do is adjust the distance from the camera that the alert sounds ( 1/4 mile , 1/2 mile , etc )
sinno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi can anyone help, do you download all the speed camera data? including bitmap files (pictures of cameras) on to icn 520 and how is this done,when i try to down load bitmap files it will not allow this, is this the reason why speed cameras do not warn as i approach them with this data missing?

Mikes.
verglas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got home from a trip to Cornwall and very disappointed with the performance of my iCN520.
Roundabouts - er.... sorry, traffic circles where it says take the wrong exit, routing which takes you off A-roads and stuffs you up a maze of single track roads with level crossings and fords like a rally route instead of a few hundred yards of the A38 and A387 to get to where you eant to get to. I got fed up marking all the yellow and white roads as 'avoid' areas to try and make it do something sensible like take a proper A or trunk road (as per the preferences selected).

I come to the conclusion that it's just a 'James Bond' moving map device and rely on the map book to decide which route to take !

think I'll be turning it back into a PDA to be more useful, maybe running tomTom on it will work better :-)
(wishful thinking, maybe just an mp3 player then !)
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

verglas wrote:
just got home from a trip to Cornwall and very disappointed with the performance of my iCN520.
Roundabouts - er.... sorry, traffic circles where it says take the wrong exit, routing which takes you off A-roads and stuffs you up a maze of single track roads with level crossings and fords like a rally route instead of a few hundred yards of the A38 and A387 to get to where you eant to get to. I got fed up marking all the yellow and white roads as 'avoid' areas to try and make it do something sensible like take a proper A or trunk road (as per the preferences selected).

I come to the conclusion that it's just a 'James Bond' moving map device and rely on the map book to decide which route to take !

think I'll be turning it back into a PDA to be more useful, maybe running tomTom on it will work better :-)
(wishful thinking, maybe just an mp3 player then !)

Sounds to me like you need to look at your Preferences again.

What are your settings? I would suggest Route Type 2/5; Pref for Mways 5/5; & Pref for Urban roads 1/5. Then see if the same anomlies occur.
verglas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my settings are 1/5 4/5 1/5, hardly enough difference to make much improvement, but I'm not going to drive 350 miles and a boat journey back there just to try it !

it also seemed to insist I went everywhere via Bodmin when there was a direct trunk road to where I was going, Falmouth - Looe, A390 A38 A387 - but tried to take us a myriad of white, single track and B roads around Pelynt not wide enough to even open the car door if you stopped

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: