Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Origin(s) of common phrases and sayings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Origin(s) of common phrases and sayings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Origin(s) of common phrases and sayings Reply with quote

I saw this in another thread:
Darren wrote:
Well at least the Navy has stopped using the lash

and thought that it might be interesting / educational to discuss the origin(s) of common phrases.

Perhaps I should get the ball rolling:

"Not enough room to swing a cat" - Royal Navy...not enough room to swing a 'Cat O' Nine Tails'

"You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" - Royal Navy...if you don't whip me too hard with the Cat O' Nine Tails then I'll return the favour

"Three square meals a day" - Royal Navy...meals were once served on square plates, hence 'square meal' and three times a day

"It'll freeze the balls off a brass monkey" - Royal Navy...a brass monkey is the triangular plate upon which cannon balls were placed and when the weather got cold, this plate shrank and the cannon balls rolled off
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so we have started Sir Winston Churchill on the metric non topic

Are we only quoting from the Navy?

Try these HERE or HERE

Army.

From Napoleon Bonaparte - An army travels on its stomach

Napoleon of course originally said this in French - "une armée marche à son estomac". It is normally translated into English as "An army *marches* on its stomach". He meant that an army's success depends on logistics; however brave and dedicated the soldiers are, if they have no food they cannot march or fight.

Air Force

Balls to the wall.

Origin: From fighter planes. The "balls" are knobs atop the plane's throttle control. Pushing the throttle all the way forward, to the wall of the cockpit, is to apply full throttle.

Navy

Slush Fund

A slushy slurry of fat was obtained by boiling or scraping the empty salted meat storage barrels. This stuff called slush was often sold ashore by
the ship's cook for the benefit of himself or the crew. The money so derived became known as a slush fund.

Misc'

Egg on my face

Speaks to the embarrassment of having eaten breakfast in a sloppy manner, resulting in residual egg on the face. While it originated in the U.S. (not so long ago, maybe post-1950s), it was also used in England. In 1972 Lord Chalfont reflected in 'The Times' of London: "There is something reassuringly changeless about the capacity of the highest military authorities for getting egg on their face."
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
Are we only quoting from the Navy?

No, I was just using these examples off the top of my head to get the ball rolling
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when we were younger playing tig we had a rule of 'you cant tig your butcher' which meant that you cant get the person who just got you

i have no idea where this came from but my theory is it started from 'you cant tig who touched ya' which gradually morphed into 'you cant tig your butcher'

that's my (unproven) theory anyway!

also, "Mind Your P's and Q's" has nothing to do with please and thank you. it was short for 'mind your pints and quarts' as if people in pubs were rude they'd get their drinks taken from them - so to remind them to behave they were told to "mind their p's and q's"

MaFt
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic has reminded me of the odd saying of "May you break your leg" wished upon actors to one another, wondering where it originated from, i found the following -

Of all theatrical superstitions, this attempt to ward off the forces of darkness by wishing one’s fellow performers the opposite of good luck is the one that’s perhaps best known outside the profession. It belongs with other superstitions, such as that it’s bad luck to whistle in a theatre, that you should never utter the final line of a play at the dress rehearsal, or that you must never say the name of the Scottish Play in the green room. Actors have always been a superstitious bunch, as you might expect from a profession in which employment is sporadic, audiences fickle and reputations fragile.

The saying is widely used among actors and musicians in the theatre today, sometimes before every performance, but more often reserved for first night. Where it comes from has for decades been a source of dispute here are the following speculations:

In earlier times, actors wished one another “may you break your leg”, in the hope that the performance would be so successful that the performer would be called forth to take a bow — to bend his knee.

At one time audiences showed their appreciation by throwing money on the stage; to pick the coins up, actors had to break their legs, that is, kneel or bend down.

The curtains on either side of a stage were called the legs, so that to pass through the legs was to make it out on to the stage ready to give a good performance, or perhaps expressing the hope that you will need to pass through them at the end of the show to take a curtain call, implying your performance had been good.

The saying really refers to getting one’s big break, that the performance will be good enough to ensure success in one’s career.

The famous French actress Sarah Bernhardt had a leg amputated in 1915, which didn’t stop her performing; it is considered good luck to mention her in the hope that some of her theatrical prowess will rub off by association.

John Wilkes Booth, the actor who assassinated President Lincoln, broke his leg when he jumped on to the stage to escape afterward. Somehow, reminding fellow actors of this event is supposed to lead to good luck in the performance.

Found this at worldwidewords.org
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
also, "Mind Your P's and Q's" has nothing to do with please and thank you. it was short for 'mind your pints and quarts' as if people in pubs were rude they'd get their drinks taken from them - so to remind them to behave they were told to "mind their p's and q's"

Another theory on this one is that it originates from printing in the days when the type was manually set back to front and the letters P & Q were in the boxes next to each other and the typesetters had to be extra careful to pick the correct letter.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

It was suggested that mind your p's and q's came from old print works where newspaper and book prints were done on a press. Letters would be arranged backwards and mirrored to be see correctly when printed. However p and q naturally proved difficult as q and p could easily be missplaced and hence the illiterate youth would reminded to...

That what I heard anyway! Taunt

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: