Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nailing the POI Jigsaw Puzzle
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nailing the POI Jigsaw Puzzle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Consultant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Nailing the POI Jigsaw Puzzle Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm running CheckPOInt 3.2 on 2003 and iPaq 5550. So far so good, I'm really enjoying checkpoint, but have a few questions that remain unanswered.

1. Why download the second Camera DB, if Checkpoint Sync has a Camera DB built-in which you can sync with. If it is because the POISync has a more comprehensive DB, why are 2 DBs maintained, seems like duplication of effort. Not criticising, just curious.

2. The only POI files I have are the ones that syncd from POIplace, but when I turn on the POIs within TomTom2 the POIplace ones are mixed with some extra ones? Did the extra ones (cashpoint, etc) come with TomTom2? I'd like to be able to add them as I drive, as I do with CheckPOInt, but the icons/categories don't exist?

Cheers, any help appreciated

T
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why two databases? The Pocket GPS one was started first - the POIplace one came along later. POIplace came along with CheckPOInt 3; there were no synchronisation facilities in older versions of CheckPOInt.

There are several built in POIs in TomTom Navigator 2, including one for cashpoints. You can't add to them - they're read only. The data in them can be a bit stale - this is particularly noticeable with petrol stations, as so many have closed in recent years.

If you only want the Pocket GPS database, I suggest CheckPOInt 2.0.2, rather than 3. You lose the 'arrow' functionality - but gain the ability to compile a CheckPOInt.ov2 file for submission to the Pocket GPS database. With CheckPOInt 3 in POIplace mode, it's impossible to submit to the Pocket GPS database.

Of course, it's up to you!

David
Carll
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
If you only want the Pocket GPS database, I suggest CheckPOInt 2.0.2, rather than 3. You lose the 'arrow' functionality - but gain the ability to compile a CheckPOInt.ov2 file for submission to the Pocket GPS database. With CheckPOInt 3 in POIplace mode, it's impossible to submit to the Pocket GPS database.

David

For me this is the biggest advantage, to be able to to help msintsin the pocketGPS database.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: