Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is there a viable alternative to Copilot?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there a viable alternative to Copilot?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
splodger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Is there a viable alternative to Copilot? Reply with quote

I need a PDA based routing system for use in the UK and Europe.

As well as the normal "get me from A to B" routing, I want it for touring Europe. This requires setting up routes in advance on a PC and then downloadig them onto the PDA. When I toured down to Italy last summer I used a Garmin Street Pilot 3 for this and it did an admirable job (routes were typically 200+ miles, over mountain passes, across an international boundaries and with 15+ waypoints).

The key requirement is to be able to load maps for more than one country and load a number of routes (each containing numerous waypoints). Also, I must be able to turn "autorouting" off.

From the research I have done so far, it seems that Copilot will allow me to download set routes. But can it store sufficient maps? - the versions I have seen advertised only come with a 128Mb CF card.

So the question is - will Copilot meet these requirements (in total or in part)?
Is there a better alternative?

Many thanks in advance.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say if you have a PDA, so I'm guessing you probably don't. In which case, you might want to look at the Street Pilot III, because since the 2610/2650 has been released, they've dropped substantially in price and you can pick them up around the low £600 mark with 128mb Garmin data card.

If you want to go the PDA route, then probably CoPilot, Navman and Destinator in that order would be best.

If you want full detailed maps of complete countries and multiple countries, then you're looking at around 1GB of storage I'd say. CoPilot has a good feature that you can plan the route A to B through multiple countries and you can save say a 20 mile radius around the route and take all of those maps with you and not have to have a big storage card. If you drive off this route, then you will only have major roads installed (if you select them). CoPilot will certainly meet the requirement, but if you liked the Street Pilot III then you may find it better to get on with as you've already used it so the learning curve would be much less. CoPilot you can turn autorouting off by switching to the map screen and it will allow you to select multi-tier journeys.

Take a look at the review here.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: