Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Compaq iPaq 3800 crashes overnight! Help!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Compaq iPaq 3800 crashes overnight! Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Compaq iPaq 3800 crashes overnight! Help! Reply with quote

Lat night I put the final touches to my iPaq 3800/Navman 3450 GPS combination by adding CheckPOInt v2.02 (minus .Net Compact Framework) and Niels' UK Postcode finder. I already had Tomtom2, POI Edit v3. All was working beautifully. Then I started fiddling around changing the defaults on the hard buttons- still all was well until I turned the iPaq on this morning when I had seemingly lost all TT2 software + TT mapping, Navman 3.1.6 GPS driver CheckPOInt 2.02 and UK PostCode finder ,or at least they were not showing in start menu. Oddly the battery light was flicking on and off even though it was being charged (first time I had seen that). When I checked remove programs they were all there! Then the penny dropped - neither storage card in Navman GPS (128 MB CF Card) which had maps etc, nor SD card (256 MB and empty) in iPaq were recognised by the iPaq. Why I do not know but they were both recognised when I tried them in a friend's Pocket PC. Soft reset didn't make any difference either. Pocket PC is running on Pocket PC 2002 - MS 3.0.11171 (Build 11178).

Any ideas folks? Can a Pocket PC have a HARD reset? If so how and will this make any difference or is it "off to the clinic we go" with this one?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've hit the old bug. Unfortunately when this happens the only way to resolve it is to hard reset the device. You'll probably find any storage card you try to insert won't read on that iPAQ.

To hard reset (and wipe all data) perform the following:-

1. Unplug iPAQ from charger and turn on
2. Press and hold down the far left and right buttons and then press and hold stylus into the soft reset hole.
3. Don't let go, wait for screen to fade and wait up to 30 seconds to be sure.
4. Now plug in to a charger and press the stylus in the soft reset hole

Your iPAQ should now be wiped. If you have a backup I'd try restoring at this point. If not, make sure you start doing regular backups with Pocket Backup!
CS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate this Dave - thanks.

I'm not sure if I have all the necessary stuff to put back on if I do a hard reset (which I obviously want and need to do). I have a Pocket PC Companion CD which came with the 3800 but that only appears to have MS Outlook 2002 and Active Sync 3.5 on. Do you know what other software would I need to restore it to its factory settings? MS Pocket 3.0.11171 (Build 11178) ie PC 2002(?) and whee I can get it from? I would uppgrade to WM 2003 but I think it may have been you who said earlier that it may not be avialble for the 3800(??).

I mainly use it for Sat Nav but keep contacts on it as well.

Now thatyou have mentioned a bug, there have been others continuing problems with the 3800 in the past ie. backlight keeps going out when turning on (despite the settings being set to stay on), Expansion pack initialising whenever the iPaq is removed from the sleeve (though ironically this hasn't happened once today) and difficulty in actually turning the iPaq off (sometimes you can still see the main menu screen ever so slightly. Button has to be pressed and held for it to disappear altogether. Are these characteristic symptons of the bug you mention?

Do you know if tany of the current range of iPaqs will fit my 3450 sleeve? I've just checked the HP site and these are: h 5550, h4150, h2210, h1940 and h1930?
CS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: Pocket Backup? Where can I get this from?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try http://www.spritesoftware.com
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CS wrote:
Do you know if tany of the current range of iPaqs will fit my 3450 sleeve? I've just checked the HP site and these are: h 5550, h4150, h2210, h1940 and h1930?

The 5550 fits the same sleeves as the 3800 (my 3870 died in January and I had to replace it).

Kam
CS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kam

Thanks for this. You have given me some hope at last! I was beginning to think I wouldn't be able to buy a new iPaq to fit my Navman 3450 sleeve. So did you buy the h5550? Are you pleased with it? Do you know the specs? - memory, Rom, Processor which OS it runs on? I found it on the HP site yesterday but couldn't find any of these above details -hence my question.

Is it only the h5550 which will fir from the current range??

PS 3870: RIP!
CS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Just wanted to say a big big thank you for showing me how to do a hard reset on my 3800 iPaq. It worked a treat and I only lost the software I put on as well (thought I was going to lose what was already imstalled at purchase.

I really appreciate your help.

Incidentally am I doing something wrong when replying by clicking on "Post Reply" Only you have indicated at the foot of your messages not to email you but to post messages in the appropriate forum (which is what I though I was doing). If I've messed up and not doing things correctly please let me nwhat I should be doing and I'll do it!

And where exactly are you on the globe (your messages are strange (overseas non UK times??).

Last but not least if I did go ahead and buy another iPaq to fit my Navman 3450 sleeve which one attracts the best reviews?

Thanks once again - you're a life saver!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Problem, glad it worked!

The footnote on each of my posts are trying to make people post to the forums (which you're doing correctly) rather than send me email. I can get upwards of 3000 emails a day, and it's really hard to keep track of these and reply to them plus it helps if people post messages in the forums because others can jump in and answer questions before I get the chance making support much quicker and seemless.

Check your profile, I am in the UK and it maybe your profile isn't set.

The best sleeve I'd have to say is the Emtac sleeve, followed closely by the Navman 3450.
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CS wrote:
So did you buy the h5550? Are you pleased with it? Do you know the specs? - memory, Rom, Processor which OS it runs on?

Yes. Yes.
Xscale 400mhz, 128mb SDRAM, 48mb ROM, Pocket PC 2003, SD/SDIO card support, WiFi, Bluetooth, Fingerprint Reader, removeable 1250mAh Lithium Ion polymer battery. Expensive top of range Ipaq.

Glad to see you may not have to replace your 3800 after all.

Kam

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: