Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CP4 vs Tom Tom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CP4 vs Tom Tom

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: CP4 vs Tom Tom Reply with quote

I'm nearly there on the choosing a GPS journey...
It looks like it's going to be a CP4 or Tom Tom call. I'm not that interested in the Live functionality of CP4, but is it still a better buy than TT? Can quite get the courage up to place an order, but I'm sure some views will push me over the edge!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main differences between CoPilot Live and TomTom Navigator 2 are:-

1) TomTom has lots of mapping issues (TeleAtlas) compared to NavTech's maps in CoPilot are more accurate
2) Database lookup issues in TomTom, very few issues in CoPilot Live
3) Postcode support in CoPilot Live (none in TTN2)
4) TTN2 appeals more to 'geeks/tech-heads' as there are many more tweaks that can be had, and is much richer in graphics.

Both TomTom and CoPilot can import customisable POI's.
pbj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave,

I presume by "post code support" you mean first 4 digit look up rather than the whole caboodle.

Thanks for the help and site - without it I may well have been on the road to an sp2610!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's correct, the only packages that will do the full postcode support lookup are PC based packages because of the extra processing power and memory it utilises.

Pocket PC applications will only use the first half of the postcode which will effectively negate you having to type in a town/city name, but you still have to type in a street address and house number to locate the destination.
BigH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

your summing up is useful, I'm still looking to decide what to go for next (currently Navman ST 1.91 Europe). One knockout for TT2 is not being able to do country to country routing. That's crazy when you consider the USA is like Europe, it has states instead of countries, I assume of course the the USA version of TT2 can navigate state to state - is this true?

I'm considering Destinator and CP4, however it looks like destinator has at least one good service pack before it's usable. I'm not considering ST2 as you can not buy it unbundled and I don't fancy paying extra for hardware that I don't need (just purchased the Fortuna BT receiver).

Any other comments would be appreciated.

Regards,
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like CP4, it works well. It doesn't work well when you are trying to multi-task with other apps like an MP3 player for instance but for navigational purposes it does the job well. Destinator does have better looking maps, but until the official roundabout fix is released and also routing algorithms tweaked to work better/properly I would have to say CoPilot for the time being.

Both CP4 and Destinator 3 will give you the ability to create your own maps and transport them to your storage card from the PC, so if you are only using it as an A to B type journey across Europe, or US States, then this functionality is better than say TomTom Navigator 2 or Navman's SmartST Pro V2.
BigH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dave,

I've been researching the subject further today whilst playing with my new Fortuna Clip On BT (delighted so far!!), and CP4 is the favourate. I am looking for a reliable solid package and judging by the forums CP4 does the business, the only minor gripe is that CP4 with European maps is more expensive than D3, I guess you get what you pay for - hopefully!!

The fact that CP4 does not multi-task too well is no great problem, after Navman ST (which never did as as far as I am concerned) then no problem.

I will be ordering CP4 tomorrow.

Regards,
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both installed on my iPAQ 2210. Some points I have noticed

CP4 is much quicker at calculating a route, and for getting the first GPS fix.

TTN2 maps are MUCH better than CP4. With CoPilot I keep getting large areas of the map coloured blue, and so far there is no fix for it. With TTN2 you can customise map colours to give much better contrast

CP4 is slower to spot small deviations from the route. If I deliberately take a wrong turning when I am near home, CP4 keeps giving me instructions as if I were still on the correct route, even though my actual position might be 100 yards away from the point the instructions refer to. TTN2 immediately senses that I have taken a wrong turning and gives me a revised route. For this reason I always use TTN2 if I am in an unfamiliar town centre (even though the mapping is less up to date)

Robin
Rattle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well spotted, Robin2

I was about to comment on the same issue - CoPilot does some heavy wishful thinking when guiding, too much of it to be justified. If I miss a straight intersection that CP has planned on taking, the arrow stops there and sits for some 50 metres. Then, blap, CP recovers, recalculates the route and tells me to turn at the next corner, which of course happens to be the one I'm just passing and driving anything softer than a go-cart I can no longer take this turn. And there we go again until a longer stretch of road saves the day. If the intersection is not a straight angle, the arrow actually moves along the planned route when I'm already driving down another street. The worst case is when the road I'm on happens to go along the road planned. In this case, CP actually makes itself believe I'm on the correct route and gives me directions from there! Come on, ALK, I can take some wishful thinking from my wife now and again, but I'd prefer it not coming from my PDA, sorry. A healthy bit of optimism is by all means welcome, but going like "what take another road oh no you don't you stay right HERE boy, or else ya gointa be real sorry boy okay okay whatever like I cared ha missed another one see I toldya" is not what a navigation system is at all about, is it? Its supposed to help sad people like me who keep constantly blowing the directions :D
If CP can show the names of cross-roads in time and switch to the next, I see no excuse for this joke to be there. Small thing, true, but it does get me sometimes

Cheers,
Eriks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: