Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Drivesmart correct information for updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Drivesmart correct information for updates
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DriveSmart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Drivesmart correct information for updates Reply with quote

http://www.drive-smart.co.uk/europe_240607.hex

Just been reading through some of the posts and wanted to clear a few things up.
Firstly if you run the DS database.hex and the pgpsw CSV file database together they will conflict if there is a camera in the same area,That could lead to false alerts and others issues.
Regarding the Speed limits when you make an entry and the speed limit is unknown you can just leave it like ;; there is no need to input any speed limits.
The reason for the launch of the private loader was so that users could make there own master .hex files and there was no need to use the extra database area at all for database uploads in the CSV format.
All you need to do is to run the private loader program and then select the pocket gps database in the main database area and click on write,It will upload and generate the .hex file automatically for you as a master database.
This leaves the user database area totally free.
I have updated the latest database and the link is above.
The DS system/Technology is not dead and will be reborn soon!
The Laser Star system will be released later next week and we will be giving Darren some systems to test and give away. Laughing
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being funny, but do DriveSmart really think that those DS users who still use the DS system are going to flock back to the DS fold? I lost all faith in DriveSmart - the Defender2 laser diffuser was a fiasco, mine just kept alerting for no reason whatsoever. The DS database was not updated for months on end by the DriveSmart team (nothing between Feb and Jun 2007) - dedicated users were "forced" to maintain the database themselves with no help from DriveSmart to "decode" how the database was constructed. Or ex-DS users had to search for an alternative. Now all of a sudden they are reborn!! HA. FOR HOW LONG!! I for one will not be lured back by false promises of new hardware or support. I for months asked for support for my Def2 - emails were ignored, phone calls unanswered, promises of fixes faded into dust.

I have now sold on my DS unit and am now using a PogoDrive (OK, not perfect but at least supported by a team wanting to keep their userbase). My useless Def2 was ripped out and replaced by a Laser Pro Park - and again this is supported by the first class team (thanks to Kris and Andy) at KMPH. And to complement that I have a Cheetah GPS Mirror, again, supplied by a company that really know how to look after its users with it's first class support (thanks to Stuart and Ally of Cheetah). And for the "hell of it", I even support PGPSW and their Speed Camera database - I am a paid up user and update my Tomtom Go 300 (and Navigator 6 units) every time the database is updated.

I make no bones about "advertising" what company I put my faith into - DriveSmart is NOT one of them. Not now, not ever!
SlipstreamII
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I can agree with BBQking's comments entirely.

I have been thoroughly happy with the DS units that I have, and I for one would certainly return back to the DS fold when the opportunity arises.

I have used numerous various camera detection units, and to date I have not found one that is as informative as the DS, albeit any unit is only as good as the database information that is provided for it.

I hope to see a lot more from the DS team in the near future and beyond.

So they will certainly have my support and the support of friends and colleagues that I have introduced in the past.

Drive safely Wink
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you have spent almost £400 on a Def2 system that has never worked from the beginnning, and never had the company of that system resolve the issues of the Def2 despite numerous telephone calls made, unanswered emails sent, then you would feel just a little peeved about it!
Yes, hands up, the DS unit I had did an excellent job. *BUT* even that had minor problems. My DS would come up with "Laser Hit" if I used my car horn!! So, a Def2 that kept alerting so much, you couldn't believe if it was a really laser hitting you or not, and a DS unit that also believed it was being hit by laser when I sounded my car horn, and with well over £550 quid spent just on those two products, really, how would YOU feel??

Believe me, I was not the only DS/Def2 user that suffered in this way.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8O It's fantastic to have some Drive Smart input, albeit small, but very much appreciated. :D

Drive Smart please try and help here with general problems as well as the database, it's got to be in your interest, pgpsw need help on the "Specs" contact MaFt.

I would like to get into an argument here regarding Drive Smart support but i will resist it, the past has been a disaster but maybe we can all move on and get some help from Drive Smart here on this site, with future problems rather than going backwards.

I feel for BBQKING and his problems but as we all know they haven't been sorted and never will be, a great waste of money, enough to get anybody peeved and he deserves his say.

I also agree with SlipstreamII there isn't anything as informative as the DS and for this reason they must come back and help us keep them running, despite all my complaints with DS, now that pgpsw has constructed a more accurate database, i would have no problems going out and buying another one.

DriveSmart, you have a great product in the DS, it is unbeatable in the speed camera "detection" market, PocketGPSWworld have given it a new lease of life, with an accurate database.

The problem is that in 2007 selling a good product isn't enough, we all expect support and a telephone service as part of the deal.

At the very least we all expect an instant response on problems and that includes the guarantee, unless you can give the expected purchaser help other than e-mail which doesn't get answered, they are going to move elsewhere, just look at the members support on your forum - it's dead. Sad
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
KathS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel very sorry for anyone who is lured into spending good money on this "Laser Star" system. The Drivesmart team will no doubt be "nice" until it's launch and for a short time afterwards but they have shown their true colours. They will soon revert to form.

I spent good money on a Drivesmart in October 06 after reading good reviews and was devastated by the lack of support. At least the forum helped me out but then that started to be abandoned too ... and also censored by the team. When the antena snapped I phoned and emailed for support and not even one reply. Thankfully the retailer where I bought the DS was more helpful. The database was not updated, cameras they were informed about were not added.

I'm grateful to PocketGpsWorl team for providing a database which will at least mean that I did not completely waste my money.

I do admit that the Drivesmart itself works well but if you launch a product you must also commit to customer care and here they fell down very badly indeed. I hope I can warn as many people as possible off the "Laser Star"

Kath
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, no response from DriveSmart!! Does the silence sound familiar to all you DS users out there?? (Does to me).

I really wouldn't hold out much hope guys, if you are depending on DS to support your product again. Different forum, but same "tricks" - SILENCE!!
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Drivesmart correct information for updates Reply with quote

DriveSmart wrote:
The DS system/Technology is not dead and will be reborn soon!
The Laser Star system will be released later next week and we will be giving Darren some systems to test and give away. Laughing

This was dated 24th June they have 5 days to go yet! Laughing

Looks like we could be back to the infamous "two weeks" again which could mean waiting for eternity! Crying or Very sad Wink
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQKing wrote:
Mmm, no response from DriveSmart!! Does the silence sound familiar to all you DS users out there?? (Does to me).

hmmm... maybe they just wanted o come here to advertise their database...

in theory i should remove their link as it's advertising that they've not paid for - but in reality i think most of us here know which database is more accurate & up to date?

MaFt
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
BBQKing wrote:

hmmm... maybe they just wanted o come here to advertise their database...

in theory i should remove their link as it's advertising that they've not paid for - but in reality i think most of us here know which database is more accurate & up to date?

MaFt

They might be advertising, but adverts can kill a Company as well as benefit it.
Others can see the quick response they give to simple questions, the promises they keep to, there unrealistic time schedules on new products and lots of other negative "notes" between the lines - just by watching this space. Embarassed
regdor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever the pros and cons of the drivesmart past and future if the tech guys are reading this forum can i say thanks for at least putting up a new database now and again.
All i know is that when i raised issues about customer service on the DS forum i was howled down by some very pro DS forum members who would not hear a word against the company. I therefore lost interest and several months later found the site "dead". I have no idea what happened but i was left with a £200 unit that was stuck in Jan 07. After some searching i found this forum and again some people are doing great work to get us a good D/B again. It all sounds a bit too complex for me at the moment so i wil just stick to whatever the drivesmart DB will tell me. It is better than no device at all!
Could the Drivesmart team at least tidy up their website to get rid of all the out of date sales pitch and tell the average user what is happening. Or are the Recievers in charge??
By the way last week Comet in Scunthorpe still had 2 brand new units on sale, whoever buys them will get a shock when they try to get support.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regdor wrote:
Quote:
All i know is that when i raised issues about customer service on the DS forum i was howled down by some very pro DS forum members who would not hear a word against the company.

I "ranted" to DriveSmart about their abysmal service and support, from my first post on their forum and it was the only reason i joined the forum in the first place.

I am a retailer, and when products go wrong, i expect the manufacturer to immediately rectify it, or i end up with the "flack" from the customer.

Although the product is not directly my responsibility, when things go completely "pear shaped", as the seller, i would be the one ending up in court.

In Drive Smart's case if more "sellers" were battered by the customer about the lack of support, or demanded a replacement unit, and DS refused to help or support the product, they would be refused shelf space to sell it, DS would then have to get there finger out, or go bust.

I have told DS both on the forum and e-mail and telephone (when they used to answer it) that their support and service "sucks" and is the worst i've seen, for my troubles i would get my post sensored from the forum, sometimes within minutes of going on.
In the end they ignored my e-mails and as we all know refused to answer the phone.

I for one constantly ranted about a Censored Company, I love the DS unit, although there were problems with other products, but the rest.... Twisted Evil

How that Company has survived and not ended up with Trading Standards banging on the door, or on Watchdog, i will never know.

Or do you know more?
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if a few of us sent our rants and complaints into BBC's Watchdog, we could "put this to bed" once and for all!

DriveSmart in the past decided to cut off all support to the users of their products, or worse, sold products that were not fit for the purpose they were intended for (Def2 anyone?). Now out of the ashes the "new" DriveSmart is born. So what now, more cr*p support ?? More "not fit for duty" products? Its now been over 2 weeks since they spoke up on this thread and still no word from them. I will reiterate again "Does this Sound Familiar"?? They killed off support once before - it *will* happen again. Do not be swayed by promises that will not/cannot be kept.
1stbambi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Yall, yup i too am a ds user, i like the ds i think what it does, it does well, mine is pretty beat up at the moment, now we have a data base for it i hope we can get some spares and decent support, but if not at least we have this site.

need for ds, top case, buttons, and internal micro switches (they sit below the buttons), new lead from pulse master to ds unit end pulled off. Confused
rushkins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't been on for a long time but here goes.
Firstly as usual DS make one post and then nothing, typical, say no more.
Secondly are they ever going to get this laser star sorted or what, not that I really care because I wouldn't give them the time of day anyway.
Thirdly us Pro DS users from the forum did back the DS team when being slagged off initially when all was going well, but when everything went all belly up, we all tried to help fellow forum members. We also slagged off DS at the time which is what caused the forum to be shut down as DS couldn't handle the situation with having to censor the majority of posts and it was all getting to be a joke.

Anyway had my say, see you soon

Keep smiling

Ruskins

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: