Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - DS Freezing M25 anticlockwise
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

DS Freezing M25 anticlockwise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlipstreamII
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: DS Freezing M25 anticlockwise Reply with quote

Using the DS on the M25 anti-clockwise between junction 12 and junction 10 a strange phenomenon occurred along this route, whereby the DS announced the Gatso camera and speed then froze, the speed shown did not vary at all.

I Reset the DS and the same thing happened again at the next overhead Gantry, and so on until past junction 10 where there are no more overhead Gantry's.

I was using 2 DS's side by side one with the PGPS database only, and the other with just the DS database with manually entered POI's.

Only the DS with the PGPS database froze? and on occasion reset itself unable to handle the data.

I think there maybe a parameter incorrect or too much or too little data within the specified co-ordinates on the PGPS database.

Only at these locations did the DS freeze apart from that I travelled over 300 miles and it performed well with the PGPS database during the journey.

By the way the DS with PGPS database in announced a Specs camera at Junction 12 anti-clockwise, I did not see one there and there are not any roadworks there,other than on the M3 southbound!! a mile past Junction 12 of the M25.

Can you investigate please Guys?

Regards

Drive Safely Wink
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with 1 specs camera on the A2 using TomTom, the whole system locked up and I had to reset it. It worked OK on my old map. New DB works OK
theripper
SlipstreamII
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: DS Freezing M25 anticlockwise.. Reply with quote

Hi All

I think I have sourced the problem with the DS freezing when locating the Gatso's on the M25 anticlockwise from Junction 12 through to 10 and mostly likely vice versa clockwise.

On scanning through the PGP DSpocketgps_uk_sc 18/05/07 file I have observed that the word "variable" has been inserted within the parameter of the co-ordinates, I have a suspicion that the DS does not recognise the word "variable" and this is the likely cause for the DS to freeze or reset.

I have looked through the original DS database and the word "variable" does not exist, but the speed of 70mph is within the co-ordinates.

It does loook very likely that the DS cannot interpret words or letters within the co-ordinates, as when the file is converted into HEX when flashed into the DS it cannot interpret the HEX numbers correctly.

Maybe you have another suggestion to the problem?

This is just an observation.

I shall alter the original file with a speedo reading and see how it performs then.

Kind Regards

Drive safely Wink
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we've changed the process we use for creating the ds file - the 'variable' was obviously over looked...

will get it sorted for the next release

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the files beginning with DS should not be used - these were old testing files that i forgot to remove from the server...

MaFt
Snoopydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: DS Freezing on M42 Reply with quote

Hi,

Has anyone had any problems with a DS (or other system) freezing through the variable speed limits on the M42 (both ways).

I am using the latest PGPS updates on their own (No DS updates used) and while it worked properly every where else it crashed going through the variable limits, then when I turned it off and back on (after the variable limits) it worked ok.

Regards
Snoopydog
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only thing i can think of is having the seed set to '0'... how does the ds cope with other cameras with speed '0'?

MaFt
SlipstreamII
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is the speed set to "0"? a vehicle cannot pass at "0"? the DS cannot interpret just a "0" in the speed parameter.

With the DS database no speed settings were present at variable speed locations, in other words the parameter was left blank, it just announced a Gatso camera present which is all that is really needed in a variable speed zone! as I am sure drivers can read read the speed that is lit up at the time of approach, I even doubt the camera at the location is "variable" other than set to 70mph on a motorway!

This also used to be the same with Red light Camera's but now a speed limit is announced with the PGP database.

I realise that at sometime the Red light camera's may at sometime trigger when a vehicle passes at greater than the speed limit, but it is unknown when or if they will be adapted to do so.

Drive safely Wink
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why is the speed set to "0"? a vehicle cannot pass at "0"? the DS cannot interpret just a "0" in the speed parameter.

Many Sat Nav treat a Speed of 0 as Warn Regardless of Speed, so it is used to get the same effect that the DS achieves with no speed set. However many other Sat Nav won't alert at all if no speed is set. Sounds like the DS does it differently to many other brands of Sat Nav.

Quote:
I realise that at sometime the Red light camera's may at sometime trigger when a vehicle passes at greater than the speed limit, but it is unknown when or if they will be adapted to do so.

Some already are and this will be reflected in the database.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the next release will have the speed blank for variable cameras. if the speed is unknown then do you also want the speed to be labled blank?

MaFt
SlipstreamII
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
MaFt's question "the next release will have the speed blank for variable cameras. if the speed is unknown then do you also want the speed to be labeled blank"

I think it would be favourable to have it blank if it is unknown rather than have no announcement of any camera at all.

By the way all European known camera locations in the DS are left with speed limit blank, but at least you approach with caution and observe the local speed limits at the time of the announcement.

Anyone else like to comment?

Drive safely Wink
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlipstreamII wrote:
By the way all European known camera locations in the DS are left with speed limit blank, but at least you approach with caution and observe the local speed limits at the time of the announcement.

Anyone else like to comment?

when i get around to sorting the international DS databases it WILL include the speeds

MaFt
Snoopydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muppetry question

How do I set the speed to read '0'?

My DS warned me of a Gatso then it froze reading 48mph and -600m until the Gatso, it remained like this until I turned the power off and then on again.

Snoopydog
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snoopydog wrote:
Muppetry question

How do I set the speed to read '0'?

My DS warned me of a Gatso then it froze reading 48mph and -600m until the Gatso, it remained like this until I turned the power off and then on again.

Snoopydog

open the file in notepad and do a 'find & relace'

find: ;0;

replace with: ;;

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: