Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tele Atlas Aim To Improve ETA's (if you're in America...)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tele Atlas Aim To Improve ETA's (if you're in America...)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Tele Atlas Aim To Improve ETA's (if you're in America...) Reply with quote

ETA's have never been incredibly accurate, but a new system recently announced by Tele Atlas aims to change that, that is, if you're in America!

Utilising historical traffic data, the system from Tele Atlas aims to improve on the ETA's provided by sat-nav equipment by providing realistic, average road speeds. Data is already available for over half a million miles of roads for each hour on a particular day of the week!

Coupled with live traffic information (when it works!) this has the potential for a very accurate navigation product sometime in the future.

More information here: http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/18774/

Official Press Release:
Quote:
Tele Atlas Historical Traffic Speeds Available for Navigation and LBS Applications

Lebanon, NH, May 15, 2007 – Tele Atlas (FSE: TA6, EUNV: TA), a leading global provider of digital maps and dynamic content for navigation and location based solutions, today announced the availability of Tele Atlas Historical Traffic Speeds, which utilizes, aggregates and enhances billions of historical data points from real-time GPS probe and numerous other traffic resources to help provide accurate average speeds on individual road segments in the United States.

With the addition of historical traffic speed data to the already-available Tele Atlas®/Traffic product, Tele Atlas provides a more complete set of traffic information solutions bundled with its digital map data for navigation and location-based offerings. Combined with products leveraging Tele Atlas digital maps, this set of traffic content solutions helps enable individuals and businesses to save time and money by having critical, traffic-related information when and where they need it. Tele Atlas Historical Traffic Speeds information can be utilized by devices without wireless connectivity and complements connected offerings by helping to serve as a supplement when a connection is interrupted, or in areas where real-time data coverage may not be available.

Through Tele Atlas Historical Traffic Speeds, average speeds now are available on specific road segments for nearly 500,000 miles of roadway across the country for every hour of the day on each specific day of the week. Tele Atlas Historical Traffic Speeds utilizes real-time GPS probe data from commercial fleet, delivery and taxi vehicles across the continental U.S., combined with DOT sensors and highway toll tags to determine the average roadway speeds based on historical traffic information for the past two years.

“By enhancing Tele Atlas’ current traffic solutions with Tele Atlas Historical Traffic Speeds, our partners will be able to further develop optimized routing capabilities for an array of enterprise and consumer navigation devices and products,” said Jerry Kim, director of global dynamic content, Tele Atlas. “Whether a driver from an enterprise fleet needs an accurate estimation of travel time for a specific route, or a parent wants the best route to their child’s soccer game on a busy Friday afternoon, end users can leverage this content for a more robust, efficient navigation experience.”

Tele Atlas Historical Traffic Speeds are available now for partner application developers and device manufacturers in a range of consumer and enterprise markets; additional roadway coverage will be available later this year. The complete Tele Atlas/Traffic offering includes real-time incident, flow and predictive traffic data and historical traffic speed information.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Tele Atlas Aim To Improve ETA's (if you're in America... Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
ETA's have never been incredibly accurate . . .

I've always been very impressed with the accuracy of the ETA on my i3. On a journey of up to 2 1/2 hours (most of my journeys are no longer than this) the initial ETA usually differs from my actual arrival time by only a couple of minutes, unless there's been a significant unexpected delay.

On the occasional longer journey I always forget to make a note of the length of the breaks I take, so can't really judge the accuracy. I'm going to the Yorkshire Dales next month, and will try to remember to record the initial ETA and the duration of the breaks to see how accurate it is over a longer trip.
Samsung Galaxy S21
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has to be one of the biggest practical advances in SatNav technology since it was introduced. The realtime traffic data is used for reporting exceptions, which is great for locals who know where the usual traffic snarlups are. For an out-of-towner, the pobelm with Realtime traffic is it tends to report exceptions from the norm, and is useless at reporting normal, but slow, traffic flows.

I have long wanted such a feature, as I often tavel through large cities I do not know well, at busy and quite times. I often resort to asking locals then use the SatNav to guideme the ways the lcoals say (using waypoints and avoid areas etc).

Obviously combining the realtime traffic with this means two things - real time can the focus on exceptions, therefore give more and more detailed coverage, while the static data can be used for forward planning longer trips better - forinstance, when to take a dinner break, before or after traveling through that city...
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt, how come you use a snapshot of a Garmin product ? Last time I looked Garmin were using Navteq maps... :D

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: