Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom RDS-TMC Traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom RDS-TMC Traffic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quickdraw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have a tomtom 510 which I purchased in January 07 and do a fair bit of travelling around, I also have been finding the TMC receiver most frustrating like the rest of you, No signal being received and constantly trying to tune in. I have logged complaints to TOMTOM with the same Standard reply, as you’re self. See below. However as they haven’t contacted me back I just rang the support team enquiring about a delivery date, they assure me that the new improved product will work! (Lets hope so) but cant give me an expected delivery date. (Balls)
So still waiting……..

Customer 03/05/2007 12.49 PM

I was wondering if you could reply to previous mail about ETA

Customer 27/04/2007 08.34 AM

Thank you for your response to my mail, Could you give me an expected delivery date for the replacement TMC receiver, as unnecessary hold ups on our busy roads is costing my company.

Response (Dhiredj S. (PDA Navigation)) 26/04/2007 12.53 PM

Dear ,

The TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver was designed to provide seamless integration of RDS-TMC traffic information with the user-interface of the TomTom GO, providing customers with the best traffic experience on the market.

Through listening to valuable customer feedback, however, it has come to our attention that in some cases the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver does not live up to our customers’ expectations.

TomTom has taken your feedback very seriously and you will be offered a replacement of your RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver, a new version of which will feature improved performance and which we strive to have available Q2 2007.

We have taken note of your details, and will contact you when the revised version is available (in the course of Q2 2007). We will then let you know how to proceed in order to have your receiver replaced.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team
smartroad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if anyone is interested I have emailed GCap (owners of ClassicFM) and asked if the TMC signal could be put onto the local stations as well.

Doubt I will get a reply but hay you never know!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smartroad wrote:
if anyone is interested I have emailed GCap (owners of ClassicFM) and asked if the TMC signal could be put onto the local stations as well.
Why not ask the Chief Operating Officer for iTIS the supplier of the actual data used, I asked very similar earlier this afternoon see Here

It is a very valid point as more radio stations would increase coverage, but that is a lame excuse for a very poorly designed receiver.
We can only live in hope that the promised new one will live up to peoples expectations.

Classic FM RDS-TMC is used by the Navman system and the T1 receiver they supply works considerably better with far less "dead zones" - its not 100% but it does work, so the receiver is more sensitive, and you get the option for connecting an external aerial - Mike
iTekweni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite surprised that many people have been offered this new TMC as I had the same problem and must have sent in about 20 emails to TomTom support complaining about the TMC yet they only saw fit to replce mine with the same useless piece of kit.
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iTekweni wrote:
I am quite surprised that many people have been offered this new TMC as I had the same problem and must have sent in about 20 emails to TomTom support complaining about the TMC yet they only saw fit to replce mine with the same useless piece of kit.

Hope you're not going to give up?
I wrote:-
Hello,
I have been attempting to use the TMC\ RDS receiver for nearly 4 months with my 910 but it still fails to function reliably.
I have taken great care that:-
1) The device is located correctly in the vehicle, arial stretched out etc.
2) The 910 is using the most up to date SW downloaded from TT home. 6.524
3) Attempted to use the tuning facility for local radio stations.

Despite all of these I still cannot get a reliable traffic report. In the majority of the areas I have been travelling it will not work. In the remainder the connection is transient. It is not a total failure but very unreliable and in its present form I consider it ‘not fit for purpose’.
To clarify:-
1) This issue is not localised. I travel widely around the UK and Europe on a regular basis and the same poor connectivity is experience in most places.
2) I am not new to using TomTom devices nor mobile technology.
3) I have wasted many hours of my hard earned spare time in attempting to get this to work.
4) I have also seem many hundred of dissatisfied TMC\RDS user posting on the internet that they are also having the same issues.

Please get back to me ASAP. But please not with a ‘stock’ denial that there are no problems.

This device, in its present form, is clearly “not fit for purpose” and I require it to be replaced with a working solution or a receiving a full refund.
Thank you.

Despite being crystal clear in what I expected they still tried to fob me off with their standard stock reply.

My 2nd message stated:--
It is clear from the reposne I have just recd that you did NOT read my email. All the points raised in it are covered. READ MY ORIGINAL MESSAGE!!!
Are TOMTOM trying to annoy customers deliberately?
READ THIS MESSAGE!!!
This response I recd is identical to another sent to another TMC\RDS user. Therefore a 'stock' answer.

The device is not reliable, TomTom are resposible.
I am using the right SW.
I am locating the receiver in the right location.
I expect it to be replaced by a working solution or receive a full refund.
The limitation refered to in your reply is widespread not localised.

Therefore the device is 'NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE'.

Other users have recd notification that the device will be replaced sometime in Q2 2007. I expect nothing less.

However, still still no sign of the promised replacement. Sad
SatMap
iTekweni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fraserp,

Thanks for the positive response and no I will not be giving up so easy, unfortunately I am laid up at the minute and as soon as I am back at work in 3 weeks time I will definately be putting it to the test as my job takes me all aound the NW. This will prove once and for all whether this replacement works, but being negative about this piece of kit I already know the answer.

cheers
iTekweni
Gadgeteer01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Modifying Tomtom TMC Reply with quote

Gizmo - Loving your work!

I've had my TMC dongle in pieces and played around with it following your instructions, but I think I've hit on an improvement.

The big gold pads are electrically connected together (buzzed them out with a DMM) and also connected to lots of other components on the board inc the black wire, so I think they are just Gnd connections.

Connecting the aerial to J3 gives best results for me. Did you try that?

Cheers
Gadgeteer
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Gadgeteer01. I originally connected one of my aerial feed to J3 and noticed a significant improvement in reception, but when I tried the connection to the two gold pads the device just seemed to work that little bit better so that is how I left it.

The two gold pads appear to be connected together via an inductor which will appear as a short circuit to a DC signal (your multi-meter), but to an AC signal it will behave in a different way.

After quite a bit of messing around I think a few of us came to the conclusion the aerial connection just allows RF to "leak" onto the board thus improving signal strength - more a result through mistake than a true engineered solution.

I have been asking for an external aerial connection to be designed into these type of products for quite some time, the revised RDS-TMC device that TomTom have announced is as yet an unknown, lets wait and see if that has a socket - even iTIS the data provider recommends such a connection for reliable reception in the UK - Mike
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lead soldered to mine, and I am happy with it now.
I get a signal most of the time, and it has even alerted me correctly many times, although I dont always trust it and sometimes pay the price.
I have settled on a short wire coiled around a pencil, then hung in the van (transit) rear side window.(with pencil removed!) I regularly travel to London from the Grimsby area and elsewhere, and cant honestly complain about reception, although you shouldn't have to mod it to get it to work! :P
Grafight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: TMC - DOA? Reply with quote

Hi - I'm a noob to the forum and could do with a little help. Hopefully my question's not too stoopid! Embarassed

I have a TomTom 710 and bought the TMC ~5 months ago from a supplier off Amazon.

The device was brand new (in blister packaging) but had absolutely no instructions. I plugged it into the only socket on the mount that fits the plug and stretched the aerial right out across the dashboard.

Since it has been plugged in the TomTom has never recognised the device or given any additional information that anything Traffic-wise is happening. If I go to TomTom traffic my only option is to connect with TomTom Plus.

Is the device faulty - should something at least happen when you plug it in?

*** Update - thanks for the super fast responses. Much appreciated. I updated the software in May - I swapped the SD card for a bigger capacity to load on the US maps I had just purchased and I updated the software then - so I beleive that it is 6.52. I will certainly double check that the cable is in the correct socket and give it a concerted push home. Having read this thread in much more detail it doesn't sound like the TMC is much cop even when I do get it working, which is a real shame after shelling out £70! The TomTom itself is fantastic though - works like a dram throughout Europe and the US, I wouldn't consider driving anywhere without it :D ***

Last edited by Grafight on Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: TMC - DOA? Reply with quote

Grafight wrote:
Hi - I'm a noob to the forum and could do with a little help. Hopefully my question's not too stoopid! Embarassed

I have a TomTom 710 and bought the TMC ~5 months ago from a supplier off Amazon.

The device was brand new (in blister packaging) but had absolutely no instructions. I plugged it into the only socket on the mount that fits the plug and stretched the aerial right out across the dashboard.

Since it has been plugged in the TomTom has never recognised the device or given any additional information that anything Traffic-wise is happening. If I go to TomTom traffic my only option is to connect with TomTom Plus.

Is the device faulty - should something at least happen when you plug it in?

Three suggestions,
The correct socket is the one nearest the windscreen on the right hand side

The plug/socket can be tight and neads to be pushed all the way in.

I've had a faulty screen mount which wouldn't recognise the TMC, do you know anyone else with a TT you could try the setup on?

I've got a 910, but AFAIK the above applys to the 710
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of TomTom software have you got running on the device, the early releases did not include RDS-TMC support, connect the 710 to the PC and allow it to update to the latest software IIRC it needs 6,5x to work with the RDS unit - Mike
Diggerbhd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have been reading the fourms with intrest, mainly about views on certian equipment I recently ungraded my Tomtom one from V2 to V3 manly to use the RDS TMC unit, as to cut down on the phone bill a bit. I had the same problem at first, yellow circle for an hour or so, I had noticed that my windscreen is one of the Horrible type, as my GPD camera system had to sit on top of the mirror mount to get a strong signal, I have run the cable for the RDS TMC Horizontally from where the Receiver is mounted , just above the rear View mirror,and the cable run is just below the roof Headline (2x suction pads are used here) as there is a clear bit off untreated glass, and then the rest of the cable is run down the Roof Pillar to the front Windscreen, the Tomtom locks on to a signal in a few minutes on the classic Fm frequency ok now, Just wondered if it was a Bad position of the cable and RDS TMC unit, stopping the signal , Citroens have a treated front wind screen Hence the Black Dots above the Rear view Mirror ,, Just though iI would share my Findings

Tomtom One V3 v7.131

TMC RDS Tuned to Classic FM 101.10

South Yorkshire

Citroen

Thanks For reading
richardarden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Tomtom One V3 T Reply with quote

Just got this. Thought I'd share my views. It isn't made clear on most companies Ads, indeed some still claim it, but the TomTom One V3 doesn't have bluetooth so you CANNOT use Tomtom plus services of traffic, buddies etc..

So I had to make do with the TMC receiver. Tried in house, it worked fine. Got on motorway M1 J30 to M1 J6a, M25 J21 to M25 J9, and the further into sussex. Signal was picked up twice in the whole journey.

Worked out a bit more of it before my return journey. In house, signal picked up.

Anyone else notice, you only get traffic for Part ofthe country. In sussex, traffic south of the M4 was shown, but nothing for the rest.

Return journey, I got a signal nearly all the way pack. The only time it dropped was when I put the charger in (battery life only 2hours so doesn't last the whole way!).

It seems, that having the charger plugged in causes some issues. Perhaps a weakened radio signal, or interference. Any ideas?

Up in Sheffield, I get traffic for north of leicster up to around carlise. But nothing South or Soctland. Is the TMC broadcast only for 'local' traffic conditions?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The information is sent out in regional bands so you get traffic in sections, as you travel up or down the country the receiver will re-tune to a new frequency and pick up information more relevant to its new location, I don't find this a problem at all as you typically have the new information long before you enter the actual area covered.

Getting a good reception is a different issue all together, the newer RDS device makes a large improvement, first thing for you to check is the part number on the RDS-TMC lead (its a small white label near the connector) - does it end in the numbers .013 - Mike?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: