Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Change in UK Law to Render Mobile Database Useless?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Change in UK Law to Render Mobile Database Useless?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: new speed camera law Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
awake wrote:
How many blind bends do you speed around?

I try not to exceed the speed limit at all, and certainly not on a blind bend for my own sake. If I can't see round the bend I have no idea what might be in the road.

So the speed you think safe to negotiate that bend is based on what exactly?
The speed limit assigned to that road or the use of the limit point?
You see I have several bends near me that are in a national speed limit area but even Jenson Button couldn't negotiate them at more than 20mph so I think it wrong to decide your speed based on a road sign.
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
I don't think that there will be that many changes overnight.

I agree. I think PGPSW should just carry on with the camera database as it is (mobiles and pmobiles), and see what happens. If new mobile sites do start to mushroom then subscribers can decide for themselves whether or not it's worth continuing to use either file. Or it may be that PGPSW decide it's too much work to maintain.

But I say wait and see.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: new speed camera law Reply with quote

awake wrote:

A combination of things: the road conditions, the weather, experience from over 40 years of driving and, yes, the speed limit.
Samsung Galaxy S21
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: new speed camera law Reply with quote

awake wrote:
Mate apparently you are making yourself look silly waiting for the answer to your question.

i don't mind making myself look stupid waiting for an answer

especially when the person in question told me to do my research i'd have thought they'd be more than happy to give information when requested

classy56 wrote:
.... If you had bothered to do some research instead of trying to be a smartarse, you would find it is well documented!

....If I told you another little fact about my driving I would make you look really silly

i'm trying to do my research

he could make me look really silly or at best give others participating in this thread food for thought
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody actually, categorically stated that they or we are all speed merchants Question

Does the fact that somebody does not like "safety" cameras automatically mean that we love to speed Question

I said several pages ago that this thread had wandered off topic and it's now turned more into a heated discussion about why people shouldn't speed.

I hope my GPS never gets a hiccup like this when it's guiding me to my destination Exclamation Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets get this Back on topic and quit the mud slinging and slanging match - keep it within the forum rules please - Mike
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, you beat me to it!

Please just keep this discussion as a discussion - less of the personal attacks!

A couple more responses from some SCP's:

Mid and South Wales Safety Camera Partnership
Quote:
The guidance for Wales mirrors that for England and recommends
the same site selection and usages criteria as that prior to the
changes.

The police in Wales regularly check the speed of traffic on areas of
road after a static or mobile site. This is their prerogative and is
always done to ensure maximum adherence to the law and thereby drive
down collisions and casualties.

Lancashire Road Safety Partnership
Quote:
There is no plan for the Lancashire Road Safety Partnership to change its
policy so enforcement will continue at our currently defined sites (which
include Community Concern sites). Please note that we always have carried
out mobile enforcement at fixed sites but this enforcement has always been
within the defined fixed camera length.

Humberside Safety Camera Partnership
Quote:
We are currently considering the remit of the new safer roads partnership following a change to the rules and will be updating the website shortly.

MaFt
awake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: new speed camera law Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
awake wrote:

A combination of things: the road conditions, the weather, experience from over 40 years of driving and, yes, the speed limit.

All the above are good obviously but I would be cautious of relying on the 40 years experience for determining a bench mark in your driving standard for the simple reason unless you have regular assessment you are your only judge and your standards WILL drop.
And I have to say if you have gone 40 years without a driving 'check up' then you are probably presenting more of a danger to yourself and other road users than a insignificant infringement of the speed limit without actually realising it.
My Mother has been driving for a similar period and believe me should not be on the road.
Might I suggest something like http://www.roada.org/ or suchlike?
But again for the speed limit! surely if the van is placed at that bend because it has a history of accidents (as current legislation states) then surely the van would be more effective prior to the bend, you know as a deterrent, before the fact as opposed to after when you have already negotiated it.
By your own admission you drive to the conditions which is excellent if you do but I am afraid most people will become drivers who drive not for the conditions but rather the speed limits, a dangerous practice obviously with tailgating amongst the lethal activities we see on our roads however if it is done within the limit then it goes unpunished and tailgating alone is responsible for more carnage by far on our roads than speed.
awake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Lets get this Back on topic and quit the mud slinging and slanging match - keep it within the forum rules please - Mike

I think members can decide for themselves thank you very much and you will find when we all agree to disagree we will revert back to the subject.
I don't think a minor digression is life threatening so I suggest if you are unhappy in any way go to another thread.
awake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the database will still have it's merits in that it will still be invaluable for Gatso's, Specs & Redlight etc
But obviously can now come down in price.
The mobile list was never 100% reliable anyway due to the fact it went largely ignored after a few false alarms and also due to the vans apparently parking where they felt like well before this new con was suggested.

OOH look! back on thread Rolling Eyes
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The database is already good value for money.

By comparison:
Snooper - £4.95/month
Road Angel - £3.99/month or £49/year
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
A couple more responses from some SCP's:...

I still haven't had a response from my local SCP (Hampshire), after three attempts.

Despite this, though, it doesn't sound like there'll be much change overall.

Perhaps a few new locations, but probably just business as usual.
awake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
The database is already good value for money.

By comparison:
Snooper - £4.95/month
Road Angel - £3.99/month or £49/year

I don't recall saying it wasn't value for money however if it turns out for example that the database for some reason was released without the mobile list then basic economics would determine you would be getting less for your money then you once did.
Would you pay the same price for something less when you are aware that processing costs if anything have gotten cheaper due to less work.
Let's not forget here these camera locations are donated.
But I wouldn't be surprised if Snooper etc reduced their price for a mobile free database at some point if that situation came about.
Anyway the subject was 'Change in UK Law to Render Mobile Database Useless? and not if it was value for money or not, let's not stray off topic hey? before we upset someone!
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear - its amazing the amount of controversy you can start by an idle Friday afternoon post Embarassed

For the record - yes, like everybody else I do excede the speed limit on more occasions than I know I should. I am not proud of this and I am aware (when I am not in the car) that I shouldnt be doing it.

Any rules about positioning cameras only at blackspots (where accidents involving injury have already occured) is surely shutting the stable door. Whether this, on its own, is sufficient to make the roads safer is a very moot point.

Certainly if the positioning of mobile cameras becomes less predictable the "value" of the mobile camera database will be devalued. Having said that the number of time I have actually seen a camera at a mobile site from the database is vanishingly rare (I do not use my TomTom except when I don't dont where I am going). Apart from on motorways these locations are not, normally, locations where I would expect to be exceding the speed limit.

What would be useful is to be reminded what the speed limit at blackspots is and a warning when over it. That is effectively what the camera database can be anyway except TTN doesnt know the what database is or the limit in force (except in cases where TTN6 actually gets the speed right).

Maybe what we need is a broadcast speed limit signal at specific locations which a compulsory receiver in the vehicle compares with the actual speed. This could be varied with the traffic / weather conditions.

I know it wouldnt work (just like the warning signs on motorway signs which either indicate a limit when you are already in a huge queue or the problem has been cleared and nobody has reset the signs) but we can wish.

The problem with speed limits etc is that you need to be doing less than them only when something unexpected happens (pedestrian steps out, vehicle loses control etc). Unexepected events do happen.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"No matter how long or how hard you shop for an item, after you've bought it, it will be on sale somewhere cheaper." Murhphy's Law

There have been a frew threads about free membership, value for money etc recently so I'm not even going to think about going there Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 8 of 14

Jump to: