Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PocketGPSWorld.com Topographical Library
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketGPSWorld.com Topographical Library
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Maps, Routes and Waypoints
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like pocketgpsworld to create a library of routes and waypoints to share?
Yes, I have some routes and waypoints I would like to contribute
21%
 21%  [ 14 ]
Yes, but I have nothing to share at the moment
71%
 71%  [ 47 ]
No this doesnt interest me
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 66

MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: PocketGPSWorld.com Topographical Library Reply with quote

For some time I have been toying with the idea of creating a library of routes and waypoints for sharing with other users.

Lets throw the discussion open to you guys to see if this is something that you would like and want to contribute to.

I have a number of routes in the Lake District and Wales which I can contribute, if we all do the same we can build up a good database of walking trails and hikes of varying difficulty over time.

This will work in a similar manner as the Speed (read safety) Camera database, but will have a more open format. There are many issues to be overcome not least of which is the number of different route and waypoint formats. If enough of you want this feature then we will look at providing a system to submit and convert the routes.
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a dozen or so Lake District walks too. They're just Memory-Map routes. Would they work in the database?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I said database I meant it in the widest possible terms. We would have details of the routes/waypoints in a searchable database, but the actual data would have to be in a downloadable file format suited to the target application.

This adds quite an overhead to convert them into the differing formats, but it could be a useable tool if enough people want it.
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - count me in m8!

I like the idea besides, being a bit of an old computer hag, any influence we can bring to bear to get software houses to accept data (ideally to have a common file structure but ... (i won't hold me breath))

F'rinstance if one of me mates has MM and I have Anquet can we share paths/treks/tracks/routes over the 'net?

I bet not but a forum like this me be able generate enough influence ...

The BBB Wink
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joker Excuse me while I pick my self off the floor. Standards in computing? Sorry just fell over laughing again.

One big argument I have been having with Ordnance Survey is that I dont think it is right that I should have to buy thier maps each time I buy a different GPS application. But I wont open that can of worms again.

But on a more serious side. I actually (and suprisingly) have copies of Anquet (not yet opened) Memory-Map 2003 and 2004 and Fugawi and OziExplorer. Together with a handheld GPS it should not be rocket science to convert waypoints and routes between formats.

The only issue I had when doing this once before was making sure that the GPS, source application and target application all had the same datum set.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

One format that is worth considering is GPX (the GPS eXchange format). There is more information at http://www.topografix.com/gpx.asp

Richard
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

and look at http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net for a conversion program.

Richard
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laydeez and jentelmenn

We can move the world if we must

keep it going

we are getting there

Thumbs Up
chris_de_wet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a great idea.

I have found that geocaching has taken me to places I wouldn't have otherwise known about.

This too has the potential to take people off the beaten track.

Everyone has different interests in exploration - mine is derelict canals and navigations ...

Might I suggest that any database that is set-up categorises not only by geographic area but also by topic/theme. Routes might also need to be tagged with a 'difficulty' rating for those that take to the hills!
matt_e
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really sounds like it has potential. Imagine having a route, some piccies, narrative, wildlife to spot etc... All searchable by keyword. Get it in a standard format and encourage other groups to contribute. You see all sorts of walks published in magazines, books, newspapers, websites etc. that could be included. Would be glad to contribute myself.

Matt

Thumbs Up
rseymour
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: GPX FOrmat Reply with quote

I reckon the GPX format could be a good option as it looks like it's been quite well thought out and there are some conversion software already available (although none that I can find for MM Crying or Very sad )

Are we talking of http://www.walkingworld.com/home/index.asp but for free.

I have a couple of around chelmsford to offer?

Rob
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: GPX FOrmat Reply with quote

rseymour wrote:
I reckon the GPX format could be a good option as it looks like it's been quite well thought out and there are some conversion software already available (although none that I can find for MM Crying or Very sad )

Are we talking of http://www.walkingworld.com/home/index.asp but for free.

This is going to be whatever we make it. If we want an all singing all dancing etc etc etc route site then if you guys want to help we can make it a success.

The only problem with the GPX format is that it is just another format, and of little use unless you have the motivation to get out there and find a converter and convert it to the format you need. I know for a fact that most people will not bother. If it is not in the MM format or Fugawi format etc then they just wont use it.

If this is to be a World class repository for data then going the extra mile and providing the routes in the right format will help it.

Again the actual presentation content, keywords, etc need to be thrashed out, but the main thing is getting you guys to contribute.

As for Chelmsford, I am often out there walking along the canal with my dog. You can always recognise me: I am the one playing with 3 PDAs and still not achieving what I want!!! Laughing
matt_e
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it worth liaising with the GPS Babel authors and getting them to add MM formats and TomTom POIs for that matter too? Their program seems to offer the most conversion options of any I have seen.

Matt
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking to GPS Babel may be an option but you need to bear in mind that there is limited support for Routes and tracks in thier package. Waypoints are fine, and they support most of the formats.

My own opinion if that if we can serve up the various formats without the need for converters then we are on to a winner. This does of course mean more work for the administration of the data.
DABurleigh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea. Database should be searchable as geocaches, where you can set a radius of interest from a location. As the database grows, you will additionally need to search on a topic/theme field, and maybe others.

I would also appreciate a way of downloading ALL the information, perhaps as a CSV file. Personally I would then import it all to a MM Professional overlay. That's what I've already done with speed cameras [lots of false alarms on this :-( ], campsites, geocaches, etc.

You're obviously going to have to be careful with who owns the data, where it hasn't been generated personally by the contributor, but acquired or converted from elsewhere.

Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Maps, Routes and Waypoints All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: