Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SmartST V2 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SmartST V2 released
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: SmartST V2 released Reply with quote

I see that Navman announced release of SmartST V2 yesterday. It was bundled with the new BT receiver. The mention it includes enhanced features include 3D map view, postcode search, contact integration, avoid areas and full route summary. :D

Anyone heard when the upgrade will be avalable for V1 users?

Steveee
orcster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the version 2 software available from [url]www.handnav.co.uk [/url]but that it full retail. I am awaiting an answer from Navman as to what the cost of the upgrade will be for existing users.

Anybody else heard anything Question
yorkshiremark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just had a reply from Navman Europe an upgrade will be available within 3-4 weeks at a cost of £139

I was hoping we'd get it for free!!
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have received a reply from Maxine at Navman. She confirmed that the upgrade for my GPS3450 (bought 01/12/03) will be £139.99. Twisted Evil

Personally I think this is disgusting. I suggest to everyone that is not getting a free upgrade should e-mail navman and tell them what they think. Evil or Very Mad

I have already told Maxine that I will not be taking the upgrade. I will wait for TomTom V3 and buy this. It is probably cheaper than the navman upgrade! I know it will only come with UK maps, but so what? I rarely drive in Europe. If I do, I can use Navman V1. At least I can use the excellent Pocket GPS Safety Camera Database. Thumbs Up

I sugegst this is the best alternative to being ripped off by navman, does anybody agree?
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
tcs17_tim
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miserable @~~@@~s
orcster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: What a rip off Reply with quote

Handnav.co.uk are now offering the full version of SmartST Pro 2 at £139.99, so how can Navman justify charging £139 for an upgrade to their currently loyal customers? Question Question Confused Confused
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my complaints on the threatened upgrade charge and a threat to switch to Navigator, Navman sent me a free SmartST upgrade (V2) for my GPS3450 that I bought last December. Smile

So far I have sent navman technical support two messages identifying problems with the software. These relate to the poor quality of the TeleAtlas data (missing towns and roads listed against wrong towns), SmartST problems interpreting the data (told me I was on A57 when I was on A1) and SmartST repeatedly freezing on start up and failing to load on my iPAQ 3850. Evil or Very Mad

This software is not ready for general release yet. It appears to me to still be at beta. Friday, to get it working I had to remove the Navman Jacket, start SmartST, turn off the iPAQ, install the Jacket and restart the iPAQ. Doing this, the maps were recognised. At the time I was lost in a part of London I did not know! Starting to worry I would not find my way back to the A12. Crying or Very sad

Overall, anybody buying this software would be very angry and I certainly would have sent it back for a refund if I had paid for it!!!! Gun Shoot Out

Roll on TomTom V3 - although I will wait until the forums report on it's performance. Thumbs Up
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
BigH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it is as stable as the initial release of the last version of ST (1.91). This was pretty ropey until sp2, even then there where still routing issues!!
gambitgander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted Navman this morning, and they said they would be releasing SP1 for V2 this week. Not surprised regarding the instability. Not many GPS companies have managed to get it right first time round, so it's not really fair to single Navman out for this. Granted the routing is a little etchy, but with an SP being released so soon after the original release, I'd say that quite good software support.

Just another question though. How many companies have given away software packages including map updates, not just for the UK, but for the WHOLE of Europe? None that I'm aware of. Even Microsoft and HP charge for complete version changes. It's unrealistic to expect such an upgrade to be free of charge.

It'll be interesting to see what TTN3 goes for, as it seems to only have one or two new features, though the 3D icons are more pleasing to the eye.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gambitgander wrote:
I contacted Navman this morning, and they said they would be releasing SP1 for V2 this week

Do you know if this will be a download from the Navman website?
Did they happen to say what it will 'fix'?

I sent an e-mail last week highlighting some errors and asked if a 'fix' was due to be released but I have no reply so far :x
Bluey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its nice to see that Navman are bringing out a service pack - but it always worries me when a company brings out a software patch within 6 weeks of first releasing a product. That just points at inadequate testing!

Dave
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have downloaded service pack 1 and now about to test it.

Service Pack details:
Corrected guidance when entering motorway. A “Turn Left” guidance was provided when the correct instruction was “Merge Right and enter Freeway”.
Some occasional address searching problems have been fixed. A street was sometimes not able to be found despite the correct town being specified. This problem should be resolved. It is, however, recommended that if further address searching problems are experienced, the user should leave the “Town” field empty when searching for an address.
The map installer now orders the cities alphabetically when searching for cities.
Some language translations have been improved.
There are certain combinations of digits in the serial numbers of certain PDAs that prevent the Map Installer from recognizing registered maps. The symptom is that even though the maps have been successfully registered using the registration software and the correct information is on the PDA the Map Installer returns an error code 0. This error code states that the maps are not registered. The new Map Installer delivered by this service pack fixes this problem.
POI search area field entry improved.
Post Code handling restricted to six characters to improve Post Code searching and the integration with Outlook.
The Map display screen stays on the currently selected screen when a route is automatically recalculated.
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the service pack, I can't see it on the web site Question

I have also seen rumours on other threads that the service pack enables you to use the Navtech maps. Does anyone know Question
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! The Service Pack lets me use the new software with the 1.96 maps. The best of both worlds.

The Service Pack is available at the left of the screen at:

http://www.navman-mobile.com/
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed any improvement since installing SP1?

I can't see any real difference.
The errors in the place names is still there (the ones I know about, others may be fixed).
Postcode search should now be 'restricted to six digits to improve post code seatching' - I can still only use 5 digits???? the sixth digit would certainly narrow the result down but it wont work for me??

I see now when I start up that I have version 2.00.0029 SP1 so presume this means I should have the update installed.

Has anyone else seen an improvement?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: