Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Globaltop Bluetooth HUD GPS Speedmeter In For Review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Globaltop Bluetooth HUD GPS Speedmeter In For Review
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Globaltop Bluetooth HUD GPS Speedmeter In For Review Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comWe blogged about this novel GPS from GlobalTop during our CeBIT coverage back in March and now after much impatient waiting I'm pleased to say that we received a review unit this morning and have begun testing in earnest.

The HUD (Heads Up Display) GPS is a standard Bluetooth GPS unit but it has the unique addition of a large reversed LED Speed Display on it's top face. When placed on your dash, the speed display is reflected in the windscreen allowing you to quickly glance at your current speed without taking your eyes off the road. In addition a small compass graphic indicates your current direction and an over speed function can be set to flash the speed display if you exceed the set speed. The unit can be used stand alone in this mode or you can use it's GPS functionality to drive a navigation application on a Bluetooth equipped unit.

Although this unit has an internal (non user replaceable battery) it needs to be connected to external 12v power (cigarette lighter charger supplied) to utilise the HUD functionality. Not a huge problem and likely a result of the power drain of the large LEDs.

The unit comes supplied with a couple of small adhesive tinted panels which you apply to the windscreen to aid in contrast and the unit has a light sensor to auto dim the LED Speed Display at night. I will attempt to capture the drivers eye view in a small video over the next few days but initial impressions are excellent and it works really well with the display being easily read even in sunlight.

Click here to visit the GlobalTop Website.
Ipaq
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am really trying to talk myself into this, but when my speedo is only a matter of inches away from where this would project on the windscreen..................why bother?

Now if you have a device that projects the display of your pda onto the windscreen that would be a winner.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually you'd be surprised how much easier it is to glance at this. One of the positives for a HUD is it's not just on the screen, it appears hovering in mid air an inch or so outside the windscreen. This means your eyes don't have to refocus as much as they would when reading your instruments.

In my car I can't position the unit much further from the screen but it will still work positioned three or four inches back meaning the display appears that distance outside the screen.

I'm experimenting to get a decent short video but it does work and works well.
Garry Platt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Safety Camera Warning? Reply with quote

Now if it was linked to a safety camera warning - that would be cool.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had much the same idea and will be in Taiwan at the end of the month Wink
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How practical and versatile is it really?

I'm 6'4" and my head scrapes the roof lining of most cars. Therefore, my line of sight is somewhat different to the stereotyped 'little old lady' who looks through the steering wheel.

Also, if people don't pay too much attention to their speedos now, how likely is it that this widget will make much difference?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can place it where you choose. I'm not suggesting for a minute that everyone will want/like one but it works for me, and if you have a need for a BT GPS anyway it's not much more expensive than an ordinary unit.

Also, the flashing over speed warning works well, not as irritating as a constant beep but sufficient to draw your attention to it.
Ipaq
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For quite a while now the Police have been warning Satnav users to remove all tell tale signs that gps device might be used in the car, now it wont be long before they catch on that f you have a square tinted sticker in your windscreen there may be goodies inside.

I think it is a nice ‘gadget’ but wont be must have for me.

Do we have any idea on pricing?
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furthermore, it obviously takes you eye off everything else on the dashboard...

...their own advertising photo shows a dashboard with just about every warning light lit up

http://www.gtop-tech.com/images/hud_night_s.jpg

...but the 'driver' is obviously ignoring these warnings by continuing to travel at 100km/h, despite the rev counter not registering.

Obviously a doctored photo, but I suggest it's not a very good advert for either safety or observation of your car's true condition
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be better if they used ultra bright LEDs so you didn't need any kind of sticker on the windscreen. It's a really messy setup and really the sort of thing that should be built into cars rather than a standalone device you have to remove every time you get out the car (unless you like having your windows smashed).
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the screen stops the 'blurring' / 'doubling up' of the projected image. glass has 2 'sides' so you get 2 images... the screen filters this soo you get one clear image

MaFt
Ipaq
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do Jags & other top marques do it? I dont think they have any 'filters' on the screens.

Any lucky people with these cars know?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW do, they have a small portion of the glass over the instrument binnacle that contains a shaded section.
pendlemac
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Furthermore, it obviously takes you eye off everything else on the dashboard...

...their own advertising photo shows a dashboard with just about every warning light lit up

http://www.gtop-tech.com/images/hud_night_s.jpg

...but the 'driver' is obviously ignoring these warnings by continuing to travel at 100km/h, despite the rev counter not registering.

Obviously a doctored photo, but I suggest it's not a very good advert for either safety or observation of your car's true condition

Thanks for the laugh. BTW, did you notice that the gear indication is showing that the auto transmission is in Park? :D
Ipaq
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
BMW do, they have a small portion of the glass over the instrument binnacle that contains a shaded section.

I stand corrected.

(or is that the non shielded part for speedcam detectors / gps?)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: