Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin launch Topo Great Britain for Garmin GPS receivers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin launch Topo Great Britain for Garmin GPS receivers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scotch_whisky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Don't buy it! Reply with quote

If you already have City Navigator Europe V7 or V8 do not even consider
buying this product.

It includes height (contour) data and very little else. It has perhaps 5% of
footpaths which greatly reduces its worth.

Bear in mind also that the entire UK mainland occupies about 160MB with City
Navigator Europe V8. With Topo GB the same area occupies 1600MB.
YES 10 TIMES THE SIZE!!!!!!!!!

If you don't have one of the City Navigator products and you don't travel
outside the UK and have one of the latest GPSs with memory cards it might be
worthwhile otherwise save your money.

I just wasted £150. I can't even sell it on eBay as it is locked to my GPS.
scotch_whisky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just to add insult to injury can can't print the maps either!
Reggie98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Topo GB advantages Reply with quote

I have the Topo GB version 2. Some of the advantages over the City Navigator Europe are:

1. Roads are more detailed (more points, therefore less angular).

2. Rivers appear in 2D in Topo GB, whereas they are only lines on the city navigator.

3. Contours are every 5m on Topo GB. NB. this is better than the 1:50,000 OS maps (10m spacing). The free contours of UK has very angular contours at 10m spacing.

4. There is detail for streams and woods on Topo GB which is entirely missing from City Navigator.

5. Tracks (eg. bridleways, tractor width paths) are marked in green, paths in grey (non-existant on City Navigator).

6. Sometimes extra tracks are marked compared with OS 1:50,000 map.

My recommendations would be to get the GB Topo if you wish to go walking or cycling in the countryside. However, if you plan to stay in the cities, are likely to go to Europe often, or your GPS device has limited memory, stick to the City Navigator Europe.

If you wish to make your own decision more informed, click here for a GoogleEarth file with overlays of images from City Navigator, OS 1:50,000, GB Topo v2, and Contours (free).
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Topo GB advantages Reply with quote

Reggie98 wrote:
5. Tracks (eg. bridleways, tractor width paths) are marked in green, paths in grey (non-existant on City Navigator).

6. Sometimes extra tracks are marked compared with OS 1:50,000 map.

In some cases there are these additional tracks and paths, but in a lot of cases paths that are marked on the OS 1:50k maps are missing.
scotch_whisky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have now been using Topo GB for about a month now. There is no doubt that it is slightly better than City Navigator when walking/hiking if your GPS has sufficient horsepower to handle it and can accept have many (the majority here in Kent) of the footpaths are missing.

I agree entirely with Reggie98s conclusions. If a had to make a decision again I maybe would have bought Topo GB instead of City Navigator V8. Certainly not both.
Soulah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wish I had seen this before going out and spending £400 on a Etrex Vista CX and Topo GB.

I was told this was "the" unit for hiking and biking. I brought it to stick on my mountain bike. Took it out around Shipley Country Park, Channock Country Park and now Carsington water.

Absolutely no trails or rights of way at all!! How is this a "hiking companion" when it doesnt even include trails and walk ways??

I feel so let down, such a lot of money. I feel miss sold. I saw the unit on the "on the trails" section of the garmin website, the details for Topo GB say Tracks and Paths included..

I can't believe it. Gutted.
wad68
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Garmin TOPO GB mapsource Reply with quote

I must express my dissappointment with the Garmin Topo Great Britain V2 maps. Not only with a tiny Reduced Map Window For Detail when viewing and planning routes on computer ,also the print capability has been disabled, not to mention the map content; contour lines blurr and smear at certain zoom levels, pathways start and stop in the middle of nowhere, bridges, paths, rivers and roads missing, or incorrectly shown.

I also experienced installation problems, having to contact Garmin several times to unlock the license.

To be used allong with OS paper maps, not as I hoped, to replace them.
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Discoverer maps are for some units way ahead of the TOPO.
They never seemed to 'catch on'!

I bought them [TOPO] and consider them a waste of money.
They are out of date and of very limited use.
Astrocyte
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
I did have another look at the MapSource viewer for the Topo GB maps. I found that the paths were generally not shown untill you got to a reasonably high zoom value.

The following image shows Stickle Tarn in the lake district. If you actually pan north from that it shows Jake's Rake. Not exactly what I would define as a tourist track...

I have to say that it doesn't look remotely comparable to the detail available on a Satmap unit. Or, for that matter a GPS phone/viewranger combination.

Andy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: