Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS GSM Tracker for both Elderly and Vehicle ....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS GSM Tracker for both Elderly and Vehicle ....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Vehicle Locators & Person or Pet Tracking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isn4i
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: GPS GSM Tracker for both Elderly and Vehicle .... Reply with quote

Hi, I looking to buy a GPS Tracker. Perhaps, someone who has similar experiences would kindly recommend me a suitable device based on the closest fit for my purpose as described below.

So far, I’ve read the manuals and reviews for trackers like TrimTrac and World Tracker (and other similar looking devices). I’ve ruled out TrimTrac and similar looking products as they aren’t portable. I’ve also looked at SANAV.com.

I would like this real-time GPS tracker device to be portable; I can place this with an elderly and when the elderly requires immediate assistance, the elderly can either push the SOS/Panic button to seek help. Ideally but not necessarily, the elderly can push a dial-button that automatically makes a call to the list of pre-defined number or the person monitoring the device can call tracker device to either listen to the surrounding sound or communicate to the elderly. When switched on, the tracker will continue to send location report to the monitor’s PDA Phone via SMS on a configured time interval (for example every 10mins), until either the battery runs-out or the tracker is switched off by the person monitoring, through the coded SMS.

The second use of this tracker is to place this tracker in the vehicle, hard-wired to the vehicle’s battery. When the vehicle is not started, the tracker is not operational and so it is not powered up and does not send any location report. When the vehicle is started, the tracker is then powered up by the vehicle’s battery and it starts to send location report on a configurable time interval (for example every 3 mins). When the vehicle is stationary while the vehicle engine is still running, it would also continue to send location report (it’s added benefit if it comes with a motion/vibration sensor). The tracker will continue to send location report as long as the vehicle is running and is not limited by the number of location reports it can send. The tracker can also be configured with geo-fences. For example, Geo-Fence-1; when the vehicle leaves the school compounds, it sends a location report and continues to send the location report until the vehicle is switched off. Geo-Fence-2; when the vehicle returns back to the house, the tracker also sends a location report. Whenever the vehicle is restarted, all the previous settings remains with the tracker, that means, the person monitoring does not need to send all kinds of SMS instructions to the vehicle to get the identical settings back. The tracker will be placed in the glove compartment.

Both the scenario would have the location reports send via SMS to a PDA Phone. Ideally, there would be a PPC software that allows the person monitoring to collate this reports and view them using map instead of reading the long/lat from the SMS and copy and paste them into Google earth. The tracker can be programmed via SMS or PDA Phone, to send location report based on time intervals and distance from the Geo Fence when there is a need to change the settings.

From what I have read, it sounds like SiRF III chipset with WAAS offers the best sensitivity, so naturally; my preference is a tracker that utilizes SiRF III. My last requirement is; I do not have to subscribe to any monthly or annual plans as most of these plans are offered in Europe and States where I’m not residing.

It’s rather long and I shall end here. Thank you for taking time to read this and I hope all kind souls here would contribute any recommendations to my first post.
coastersteve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the OnTrak device, it pretty much works exactly how you want it to do out the box. MikeA has reviewed it on this site Here and we will be demonstrating the live update version at the upcomming Expo at Sandown :D

If you have anymore questions you can contact us via our website
Edit Once mikealder to sort out links
isn4i
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coastersteve wrote:
Have a look at the OnTrak device, it pretty much works exactly how you want it to do out the box. MikeA has reviewed it on this site Here and we will be demonstrating the live update version at the upcomming Expo at Sandown :D

If you have anymore questions you can contact us via our website
Edit Once mikealder to sort out links

Thanks for your recommendation, but OnTrak isn't really portable, it requires power supply from vehicle. It doesn't fulfill the requirement for use with an elderly.
woody67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maplin had a deivice on offer recently which would text co-ordinates to a few pre-programed numbers and had 2-way speech too.

Its gone back up to £150 now, but still seems to fit the bill at a good price

www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99114&criteria=gps&doy=12m4
isn4i
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woody67 wrote:
Maplin had a deivice on offer recently which would text co-ordinates to a few pre-programed numbers and had 2-way speech too.

Its gone back up to £150 now, but still seems to fit the bill at a good price

www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99114&criteria=gps&doy=12m4

Thanks woody67. I checked that out. It's not suitable for 'hands-off' vehicle use because it cannot hook up to vehicle battery. I wrote to SANAV and they suggested CG-101M. Based on the explanation provided by SANAV, it seems to be a good match.

Does anybody has experience with CG-101M or CG-101? Anybody knows where I can get CG-101M?

I tried google for CG-101M, but it cannot find a place that sells this.
JonCK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Mobile Phone Tracking Reply with quote

Have you thought about using mobile phone tracking. Sites like http://www.mobilelocators.com can actually track the location of any mobile phone to within 50 metres for just £5 a month. I've also seen a similiar site http://www.traceamobile.co.uk

[url]mobilelocators.com[/url]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Vehicle Locators & Person or Pet Tracking All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: