Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pocket PC Phone Hands Free?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket PC Phone Hands Free?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Pocket PC Phone Hands Free? Reply with quote

A friend of mine has just bought a T610 phone like mine, and paired it through Bluetooth to his PC, and called me off it, speaking through his PC microphone while my voice was played on his speakers.
This gave me an idea, is there any software or anyway of pairing a bluetooth phone with my iPAQ 2210 and using the Pocket PC as a form of hands free with it having a microphone and speaker, would make it much easier in car instead of messing around with my little on ear bluetooth handsfree thing, as the thing is mounted right in front of me!
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some rudimentary Bluetooth audio support in the Widcomm Bluetooth stack HP have used in their Pocket PC 2003 ROMs. However, it's disabled by default.

If you enable it (there's a registry hack to do so), you'll probably find like many before that it really doesn't work that well. Certainly the headset profile doesn't work properly with my Nokia HDW-2, possibly because the connection comes the wrong way round (so far as I can tell, the HDW-2 expects to initiate the connection, not be connected to).

You're after the converse - the audio gateway profile. I'm not sure that's in there at all.

I'd forget it, and fit a proper car hands-free system. For a start, you'll find the speaker and microphone much more optimised to what you want to do (echo cancelling and the like). Don't forget a bracket to mount the phone as well if you want to stay inside the new UK law on mobile phones in vehicles.

I'm using a wired Nokia car kit with my Nokia 6310i. Wired is for various reasons - it charges the phone, allows me to connect to the external antenna factory fitted to my car, and gets round the "one Bluetooth device at once" limitation of the 6310i - I can leave the phone in the car kit and initiate a GPRS session over Bluetooth. The audio quality is very good - it's hooked up to my Zafira's factory fitted phone wiring loom, so it connects to the Vauxhall microphone and to the audio system's speakers. See here for my notes on Vauxhall factory fitted phone wiring, particularly in the Zafira (Microsoft Word format - one day I'll get round to converting it to HTML or PDF).

David
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to clear that up. The document made a very good read, i'm going to have to get around to wiring in some sort of proper hands free, i have a bluetooth headset at the moment, while it works well, its just a pain having to put it on charge every night.
hecquetr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MS have released an addon to Pocket PC2003 to make it full voice controllable already and it is getting good reviews.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/products/voicecommand/default.mspx

Officially it is only available/supported in US and Canada. Mainly due to the fact that is does not allow you to do manual voice dials (as opposed to existing contact records) starting with 0 as it it setup for US and Canada phone number formats only. Bit of a problem for us unless you have everyone in your contacts. No news yet on revised version to support Europe.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: