Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Warning for nuvi Users loading POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Warning for nuvi Users loading POIs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninja_geezer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: DOES NOT WORK Reply with quote

Louie7 wrote:
I do not load the POI file directly onto my Nuvi, but onto a SD Card.

Download the POI file from your PC to a SD Card, with the folder structure the same as on the Nuvi i.e. Garmin/POI. Copy the POI file into the POI folder. If you do not follow the Nuvi folder structure, the Nuvi will not recognise your POI file.

Insert the SD Card into the Nuvi's card slot. The first time you power up the Nuvi after inserting the SD Card, it will ask you if you wish to copy the POI file to the Nuvi, answer NO. The Nuvi will now read the POI file from the SD Card each time you switch it on.

If you have a problem with the POI file you can simply switch off the Nuvi, remove the SD Card. Power on the Nuvi and it should operate without any problem.

I also copy my MP3 files into a MP3 folder on the SD Card for the same reasons.

Hi tried the above and it still locks solid !!
marksnsparks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've followed MaFt's wise advice and kept below 257 categories. However, I was wondering if we can use the POI option to combine the subcategories to get all the poi's available, but with fewer categories. Does this work on Garmin products or is this option intended for TomToms?
Audio version 2.30
GTM12 - Version 4.80 Firmware
GPS v3.00
bluetooth software version 3.10
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksnsparks wrote:
I've followed MaFt's wise advice and kept below 257 categories. However, I was wondering if we can use the POI option to combine the subcategories to get all the poi's available, but with fewer categories. Does this work on Garmin products or is this option intended for TomToms?

yes, you can use this method. i use the consolidation the ATM's so i just have an ATM as i don't really care if it's an HSBC or Natwest or whatever so long as i can get my money!

MaFt
marksnsparks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that MaFt. I'll give it a go tomorrow.
Audio version 2.30
GTM12 - Version 4.80 Firmware
GPS v3.00
bluetooth software version 3.10
jurowla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found by experimenting that I could load more than the 257 POI limit by excluding the bit maps. I have over 450 POI on an SD card and it does not crash. I suppose this clearly points to a problem with bitmap files more than poi's
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jurowla wrote:
I found by experimenting that I could load more than the 257 POI limit by excluding the bit maps. I have over 450 POI on an SD card and it does not crash. I suppose this clearly points to a problem with bitmap files more than poi's

the latest firmware fixes this and states that the problem was caused by having lots of bitmaps - you've just confirmed their findings ;)

MaFt
CliffEdge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: but what do I do now ???? Reply with quote

Having read all these posts I'm now a lot wiser on the 257 problem, but I still have a unit thats locked at "Loading Maps". Is my only alternative to send it back. Will Garmin charge, or should I just ask the vendor to replace a "faulty" unit. Its only 2 weeks old.
I've read that an e-mailable patch is available from Garmin, however I'm not sure how that will work as my PC won't even recognise the unit any more.
Its a real shame as until now I've thought the unit was really good.
Thanks Cliff.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: but what do I do now ???? Reply with quote

clifedge - the software provided does not need you to be able to 'see' the unit via the pc. it connects directly to the unit via magical things... ;)

give them a ring and they'll sort you out. bear in mind though that once you install the new (old) software you will be asked if you want to update the firmware - say NO at this point and boot up as normal. connect the nuvi to the pc and go to Nuvi:\Garmin\poi and delete the offending poi.gpi file.

then rebot and you can update the firmware when prompted. garmin won't tell you about this bit ;)

MaFt
CliffEdge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin were frankly useless. The girl I spoke too just kept repeating ....."the Pocket World download has corrupted your unit & that's not our fault"..... "You'll have to pay to get it fixed if you send it back to us". "Take it back to where you got it from". They wouldn't move from that position. I mentioned about the problem highlighted on the forum re 257 files which she denied. ...."Its been corruptd by your download, & that's not our fault"!!!!
Its now on its way back to GPS who were far more understanding.
Cliff
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@CliffEdge: have sent you a PM

MaFt
Lepista
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: New folder structure Reply with quote

With the 'new' version of the poidownload, you can arrange sets of POI's into folders. Does this affect the number of different categories you can have?

I've never had a problem with this, but then I don't know how many categories I have loaded at the mo...
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New folder structure Reply with quote

Lepista wrote:
With the 'new' version of the poidownload, you can arrange sets of POI's into folders. Does this affect the number of different categories you can have?

I've never had a problem with this, but then I don't know how many categories I have loaded at the mo...

you mean poi loader? if so then yes, it is still the same number of categories unless you have the latest 3xx firmware (no fix for the 6xx range yet but they're looking into it) - latest 3xx firmware removes the limit to poi categories

MaFt
Lepista
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh!! Mine is the 660.

Oh well, hopefully a fix is not too far away.

p.s. I love my 660 - it is a fantastic bit of kit. I've not met anybody yet that thinks their satnav has as many or as good features that it has.
gadgetmanuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like I just bricked my Nuvi 660. I stupidly loaded too many POI's to the unit, meant to do it to the SD card. Called Garmin and received the software. Update went like clockwork, all worked ok. When I reconnected it, still hangs loading maps. Cannot see it on PC. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Just for good luck, Garmin want £130 to repair it because it was purchased from eBay, only bought from there because I had some cash in my Paypal account, it wasn't even that cheap.

Anybody want to purchase a satnav shaped brick?? Crying or Very sad
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gadgetmanuk wrote:
Update went like clockwork, all worked ok. When I reconnected it, still hangs loading maps. Cannot see it on PC. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

when the unit rebooted after doing the software 'downgrade' did it say something like 'do you want to update the software to the newest version'? if so then say NO and let it continue - once booted up connect to pc and remove the offending poi file (Nuvi:\Garmin\POI\poi.gpi)

then reboot it and next time when it asks to update the software you can say yes

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: