Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: Fortuna Clip-On Bluetooth GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: Fortuna Clip-On Bluetooth GPS
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: Fortuna Clip-On Bluetooth GPS Reply with quote

We have completed the review of the Fortuna Clip-On. The Fortuna Clip-On uses the latest SiRF IIe/LP chipset to give support for both SiRF Binary and NMEA, as well as support for WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) and SiRF XTrac all in a very small footprint. Fortuna also bundle all the accessories needed in this great little package!

The full review can be found at
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/fortuna-clip-on.php
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: REVIEW COMMENTS: Fortuna Clip-On Bluetooth GPS Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
The downside I have noticed is that wearing it around your neck, as it's quite deep it never sits squarely on your chest and rolls around a little, and if you are wearing button shirts after a day of wearing they tend to chip away at the paint work on the top of the GPS, so although I like the ability to wear the GPS, be prepared for some wear and tear showing, or make sure you place it in the protective sleeve!

I had never though of you as a "Medallion Man" type of person, Dave. 8O :P
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know I didn't either. I think it started when I started wearing Motorsport press passes around my neck (like you see on TV at the F1 venues). I hadn't thought about wearing it around the neck until Lutz mentioned to me that the Emtac is good to thread a cord through and hang around your neck, so I thought I'd give it a try Laughing

One thing I've always thought would be good for mobile phones and also for Bluetooth GPS Receivers and perhaps even a small lightweight PDA (aka 1940/2210) is to have a velcro arm band pouch where you can wear it around your bicep. Maybe that's starting to get a little too geek'ish. I suppose I could always purchase a Scott eVest but I think that would be a little over the top for me Rolling Eyes
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review, Dave. I'm so glad I ended up with the right receiver!

One question: with the medallion-man lanyard in mind, is the clip-on waterproof, d'you think?

Thanks
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter! Sadly the Fortuna and in-fact all Bluetooth GPS Receivers aren't waterproof. The main reason is that they have moving parts like an on/off switch. They would also require rubber gromets around any buttons and one of the big items for the fortuna would be around the battery compartment.

This could be where the next generation of Bluetooth receivers will distance themselves from the current range.

The one that I think is probably the closest to waterproof is the Holux GR-230 which Holux do say is water resistant, it has rubber flaps to conceal the data ports and other entries into the GPS, but still has a switch on it which might let water in but we haven't done any specific water submersible tests. If we could get a spare GPS for each one we tested where we could test it for water then it would be fun to do it and see which ones break.
Consultant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my one today, but I'm having a nightmare of a time getting it to talk to my iPaq 5550/TTN2, after about 30 attempts I've managed to get the little sync symbol in the GPS app to work twice.

If anyone has any ideas or tips to make these two items work together I'll be eternally grateful

Cheers

T.
bengt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used my Fortuna clip on with an Ipaq H2210 a month now and its an excellent combination- probably the best system aivaliable on the market today if you take also price in consideration.
The Fortuna can be operated indoor in XTmode -outside you get in XTmode a time lag of a some seconds when its calculating position on weak signals- 400 m behind when driving 100kph- walking in XTmode you do not observe it. In normal mode no problems.
I use Fugawi and TomTom 2and my device is operating at gate 8 at 38400 baudrate perfectly-Got handshake in bluetooth at second attempt- I didnot know how to do when the Fortuna asked for a password to start with and used my PDA-password...But it should be 0000 for the GPS and I had to read the manual first- do so its good except telling how to switch different modes of GPSsensivity....

Share my experiences - beeing a pioneer in PDAnav since 1998.

http://hem.passagen.se/bigben39/index.htm

Bengt
5M ( Member Mini Moving Map Mafia)
Sweden

Member Mini Moving Map Mafia
Hibou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Fortuna Clip-on and iPAQ-4150 Reply with quote

Quote:
I have used my Fortuna clip on with an Ipaq H2210 a month now and its an excellent combination- probably the best system aivaliable

Almost. The best PPC for the Clip-on is probably the iPAQ-1940, the smallest and cheapest with bluetooth. (I have the the iPAQ 4150 which is the same size but also has WiFi and is still only $380 from Comp-U-Plus, but more expensive in Europe).

The Clip-on is indeed excellent, with the only weak point the power/mode switch. It can be accidently switched on, and you need a pin to switch modes (not always at hand). Not a big problem; I leave it in XT-mode, and it is so robust and sensitive that you can carry it in a pocket, or in the glove box/boot of your car and it still works fine. It needed about an hour to sort itself out when first switched on, but from then only a minute to acquire 6-8 satellites (in France).

Used with CartoExploreur-3 (www.bayo.com), which for walking in France is excellent GPS software with 1:25000 maps for only 38 Euro (per map).
selwonk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: iPaq 1940 // Nokia batteries Reply with quote

I've been using this bit of kit for a while on an iPaq 1940. It really is cool. However, I intially had a lot of trouble getting this to work with TomTom (original version). TomTom kept hanging whenever I tries to select the Clip-On via Bluetooth. Once it was working the GPS positioning was inaccurate

I solved this problem by:

1. Discovering that connecting to the GPS via Bluetooth BEFORE starting TomTom solves the hanging problem
2. Downloading the latest GPS patch from TomTom solves the inaccuracy problem

It's a great bit of kit. I'd really be interested to know what Nokia battery I can use so I can hunt one down on eBay

Thanks in advance

Mike Knowles
Consultant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Great! Reply with quote

After solving all of the foilbles that I originally had with my setup (TTN2/iPaq 5550) I'm very pleased with the package as a whole.

My only criticism with the review is that after extended use I'd have given it one or maybe two stars less for robustness. The ST-XT switch is a little flimsy and I've caused minor damage to mine switching between modes.

For the guy that mentioned you need a pin to switch modes, I actually use my stylus from the iPaq, which has quite a fine tip and seems to work well.

On the plus side, the iPaq charger which has a round type adaptor with an iPaq fitment on it, also charges the Fortuna if you remove the iPaq style adaptor from the charger.

Cheers

T.
bengt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fortuna Clip-on and iPAQ-4150 Reply with quote

[quote="Hibou"]
Quote:
Almost. The best PPC for the Clip-on is probably the iPAQ-1940, the smallest and cheapest with bluetooth.

Yes you are right if you buy a new one-
For navigation I only use fairly new secondhand objects.
The second hand market with units 3-12months old Ipaqs is 50-60% of newprice in Sweden- and there is no major difference in second hand price between discussed models 19XX-20xx.
Besides the 2010 processor is 400Mhz making map handling easier-if I recall right the 19XX has 200Mhz
Both have Ni-Li batteries which still could be charged satisfactorily at -20- -25C ( approx -10F)- practical experience from snowmobile-usage northern Sweden.

The 4XXX serie has Li-ion-polymer batteriy with lowtemp-protection Cannot be charged below Oc(32F) so its no good for multi purpose use summer winter in our climate.

Ben
DataMan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

read my full story here

http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=29014#29014

I had so many problems with this beloved GPS!

does any one have a link to CE Monitor by any chance?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the Leadtek Download Section for PC and Pocket PC Versions. It's called WinFast Navigator.
BigH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent review, and based upon this I have bought one of these little beauties. We it woprked straight out of the box with my 2002 equipped 3970. I have only tested with Navio at present but I have to say that sensitivity is excellent. Even in my office a get 5 solid fixes, my Navman sees absoloutly nothing!!!

All I need is a good navigation package that does this receiver justice, this maybe more difficult!!
mario7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: battery question-fitment Reply with quote

Great review. One question. You mentioned the (Nokia) battery 'fit'. However, did you also place the battery cover back on and di this in fact fit also? I can not make it do so. The aftermarket battery is ever so slightly 'taller'.

TIA

Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: