Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS:Navman iCN630 V2 Preview
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS:Navman iCN630 V2 Preview
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: iCN 630 User Manual Reply with quote

Hi Kev

I've just looked at the US website and there is a .pdf V2 manual there. A quick comparison though shows it contains 62 pages whereas the UK manual which is on the V2 iCN Desktop contains 76. I haven't had time to look at the indexes but obviously there are differences between the US & UK.

We went out today and I must admit I didn't find any major problems with the V2 setup. I did vary the route away from where it wanted me to go and it very quickly re-computed a new route. One thing I did like and that was there was no voice keeping on at me to " Perform a legal U Turn"

The way to programme destinations takes a bit of getting used to, but I got there Thumbs Up .

Hope this is of some use.

Regards

alfieB
buckrogers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: PDF Manual Reply with quote

A V2 PDF manual is included in the software upgrade - perhaps it may be possible for some kind person to provide a copy.
JJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still awaiting my CDs but Navman Europe told me today that it's possible to use v1 map data with v2 software. Not sure I believe the person who told me that and I haven't been able to check. They said I could install v2 software and then load the maps from either the v1 or v2 discs. Anyone know if this is true?

JJ
London
ICNman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Please read. Reply with quote

Hi Guys, JJ,

I've just switched back to V2 and tried to install the V1 maps (again), and it didn't work. I then read the instruction that came with the V2 CD's and this is what it tells you to do after you've installed the V2 software-

16. If your maps were stored on the iCN memory, they will have been erased during the installation process. If they were installed on your SD card, you now have the option of either continuing to use your old maps, or formatting the SD card in order to use it to install the latest map data (recommended). To format an SD card, ensure it is inserted in your iCN, and choose the option to 'Format SD'.

Guys this instruction is on the back of an A4 paper that comes wrapped around the V2 CD's. Also I do not have a memory card so I cannot try this to see if it works.

Can anybody who has a memory card, kindly try this out and let us know what happens. You'll first have to re-install the V1 software and then install the V1 maps on the memory card. You'll then have to re-install the V2 software and then insert the memory card (which contains the V1 maps). You might also have to de-select the maps on the iCN's internal memory, and select the ones on the memory card.

If anyone could do this, then I'm pretty sure a lot of iCN users would be very gratefull.

All the best.

iCNman.
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Using V1 Maps with V2 Software Reply with quote

Hi everybody

I read iCNmans comments re the above and I put my son in laws V1 SD card, which contains all of the UK, into my iCN. It didn't work, I'm not sure why but the SD card didn't appear to be recognised. It may well be it's because I have one of the V2 maps loaded into the iCN unit memory. I didn't have any more time to investigate further. Pehaps it needs a clear iCN memory to work???

Has anyone else any thoughts on the matter

Regards

alfieB
ICNman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Using V1 Maps with V2 Software Reply with quote

AlfieB wrote:
Has anyone else any thoughts on the matter

Regards

alfieB

Hi alfieB,

You can turn off the TeleAtlas maps on the iCN, by entering setup, then maps, and then de-select all the maps you have stored on the iCN's internal memory.

Guys, this might not even work so lets not get our hopes too high.

And alfieB, thanks for trying. Keep us posted.

Regards.

iCNman
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning all

I had another go at trying to load the V1 maps late last night. I disabled the maps in the memory using the method suggested by iCNman but still would not allow me to enable the V1 maps. So it's back to the "drawing board"

Will keep you posted.

Regards

alfieB
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi buckrogers Reply with quote

buckrogers wrote:
Hi ICNman

[Can you try and give us a little more information on the 'settlement icon']

On my unit its under "Destination"

Address
Intersection
Settlement
Points of Intrest
Postcode
Recent

Hope this is helpful

Hi everybody

I've been playing around with the Settlement Icontoday and it appears that once you have selected a City/Town/Village, and told it to Go then the unit will automatically take you to what appears to be the 'dead centre' of that place.

I talked today with a French guy and he was telling me that when the French language is selected then the word used for that particular icon roughly translated means Town. Why then we with the English version we ended up with Settlement is beyond me. Question

Out of interest haven't we got someone in Monza? perhaps they can tell us what the Italian setup says. Question

I did say a few days ago that I had not heard the instruction "Make a Legal U Turn", well it's still there, although it was only said once and then the unit very quickly re-plotted a new route.

Once last point, I've given up on trying to make an SD card with V1 maps work on a V2 iCN. It won't do it Exclamation . Has anyone yet had any success with it Question

Regards

AlfieB
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I must be getting tired, the last sentence in my second paragraph is rubbish. What I should have said was:

Why we ended up with the word Settlement in the UK version is beyond me Exclamation

Well that's it I'm off before I make a few more cock-ups.

Good night all Thumbs Up

AlfieB Happy
ICNman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi buckrogers Reply with quote

AlfieB wrote:
One last point, I've given up on trying to make an SD card with V1 maps work on a V2 iCN. It won't do it Exclamation . Has anyone yet had any success with it Question

Regards

AlfieB

Hi guys

Recieved the following e-mail from Navman today-

The problem with the voice will be solved with the service pack 1 that should be available soon. And YES, you can use your old maps with your new software, but you cannot mix them together.

Kind regards,
Laurent MAHE

Regards

iCNman
tasdisr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Navman North America Reply with quote

I noticed on Navman's North American web site, they have removed the link in the FAQ about upgrading to V2.

Frank
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi buckrogers Reply with quote

ICNman wrote:
AlfieB wrote:
One last point, I've given up on trying to make an SD card with V1 maps work on a V2 iCN. It won't do it Exclamation . Has anyone yet had any success with it Question

Regards

AlfieB

Hi guys

Recieved the following e-mail from Navman today-

The problem with the voice will be solved with the service pack 1 that should be available soon. And YES, you can use your old maps with your new software, but you cannot mix them together.

Kind regards,
Laurent MAHE

Regards

iCNman

Hi there

Perhaps then this is the reason I haven't been able to get it to work? At the moment my iCN has been upgraded, but we have another iCN still using V1 software and maps. At present my son in law is saying he will stick to that until some of the confusion has been sorted out.

But I still can't get his V1 SD card to run on my iCN. Perhaps it would if I completely reloaded the new software and started from scratch.

I'll take a raincheck on that though, carry on using V2, and await the release of Service Pack 1.

Regards

AlfieB Thumbs Up
StarKnight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi buckrogers Reply with quote

AlfieB wrote:
Out of interest haven't we got someone in Monza? perhaps they can tell us what the Italian setup says. Question

The italian version uses "Insediamento" which is the correct italian translation for "settlement". Anyway I never used it, apparently it shows wide populated areas of my country so I presume the term is correct.
ICNman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Service pack 1. Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Its been a while and I thought I'd bring this topic back to the top again.
I have recieved an e-mail today from Navman-europe which gives us all some good news. Please read below-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Laurent,

Thank you for your reply, really appreciate it. I'm so pleased to hear about the soon to be released service pack 1, and I can assure you that many other users of www.pocketgpsworld.com are also very pleased. You say that the V1 maps can be used with a clean V2 software, but I and a few others have tried this and it will not work. The iCN just will not accept it!

Could you be kind enough to give me some more information on how to achieve this?

Thank you once again.

iCNman
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You need to first download the SP1 available tomorrow on our website, then reactivate the soft and you can then use the Navtech maps.

Kind regards,
Laurent MAHE

Regards

iCNman Thumbs Up
ICNman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Navtech maps Reply with quote

Greetings all,

Since the idea of this Service Pack 1 is to enable the use of old Navtech maps with the new V2 software, I think that Navman have finally realised that their decision to switch to TeleAtlas maps, was not the best one they ever made. I'm also pretty confident that SP1 will address some of the other issues we've been having problems with, such as voice instructions and auto-simulation.

If my thoughts are true, then I think we can look forward to updated Navtech maps in the future, instead of the no-good TeleAtlas maps. In the long run, I think it will be cheaper for Navman considering all the trouble they are currently having!

Ta.

iCNman Mr. Green

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: