Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pocket PC instructions/manual?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket PC instructions/manual?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Pocket PC instructions/manual? Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can obtain the manual or instructions on how to use the 'Pocket PC' application for my Mio P350?

I have kosher software CD's and I have posted a question on Anquet's website.

Thanks in advance.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click HERE
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, my mistake, I should have made it clearer.

I am referring to the 'Anquet Pocket PC' application.

When one purchases Anquet maps one gets online help for the main application (stored on my laptop) but I can't find any instructions for the application that runs on the PDA (in my case a P350).

Thanks.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What in particular are you wanting to know? I use Anquet 6 and as far as I recall using the Pocket version is a subset of the PC version - I've never felt the need for a manual.
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil.

If you think the PDA application is a subset of the main program, then I'll search through the online help. But it can't explain everything as the main program hasn't got the addition of the GPSr signal. The interface is obviously different, nor does it look that intuitive.

When I suceeded in loading my 25,000:1 Lake District maps on to my SD card I had a quick play, but I appeared to get multiple signals. Then when I tapped the screen other boxes and lines appeared. That's when I sought out the manual.

Your help is appreciated but I don't understand why there is not a manual supplied. If I can't get one I shall of course complain to Anquet.
for
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I log a support call with Anquet (which is quite often!) I complain about the lack of any help for the PDA version and also the lack of any version info on the PDA. I always get the same comment from Anquet which is that help will be in a future version - however at least 5 releases have come out since they first said that.

I find the PDA version very non -intuitive and have just about given up using it for anything other than looking at the maps as I find following routes impossible.

Brian

iPAQ 3970 and XDA mini s
Socket Blutooth
TomTom Navigator 6
Anquet 1.2.6 & v6
Garmin Forerunner 205
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phineus,

OK - Assuming your GPS is connected to your PDA then..

Start Pocket Anquet (If your GPS is a BT unit don't forget to turn on Bluetooth on the PDA).

Configure the GPS (GPS/Configure...) Use either the Search tab to look at all available COM ports - can take some time or the Open tab and set up the info manually IF you know what it is. Tap the OPEN button to effect the connection. It will let you know if it worked or not. I use Baud Rate = 4800 and Protocol NMEA 0183. My BT GPS port is COM7: (quite common for WM5 PDAs I believe.)

Once it's connected then back on the map screen...

GPS/Live Track . Livetrack turns on the map tracking (I think this should be default when GPS is connected!) Tracklog logs your position information to memory. Move Map (which is defaulted on) will maintain your current position on the screen - even if you go off the edge of a map!

If your GPS is receiving a valid signal it should now indicate the position on the map.

If you have created waypoints and routes on the PC then copy the database you stored them in onto the PDA using the facility provided by Anquet on the PC. (I use a card reader to move maps as these can take for ever over the ActiveSync link).

File/Database/Open should allow you to open a database. View/Listview will allow you to see the waypoints. View/Treeview allows you to see the routes.

To see these on the map tap and hold either a route or a waypoint and choose the option offered.

With a GPS connection established then you can use the GPS/Virtual GPS to show a compass rose of your route giving information on direction to next waypoint, distance to next waypoint etc...

OK - it's not really all that intuative Rolling Eyes - but if you can use the PC version for creating routes waypoints etc then its the same on the Pocket version. I agree that more comprehensive documentation should be forthcoming - especially around the use of the databases - once you get the hang of these, they are wonderful but the first time you try to use them you end up a little (lot?) confused.

Careful with random tapping on screen- you tend to create waypoints and end up navigating to them. :D

Although I have Anquet I hardly ever use it out in the field - I tend to use it for waypoint / route planning and customised map production on the PC, downloading the first to my trusty (in terms of ruggedness, battery life) GARMIN GPS60 and use this and the map for the basic navigation. PDAs don't hack day-long walks and being dropped onto rocks - unless you encase them in a hard shell - which tends to mean you have to open them to use them - defeating the purpose of the case. Many protective cases have a means of using the touch screen - which protects the device from the elements of wind and rain but not earth (or at least being dropped onto very hard manifestations of this element). Wink
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brian & Phil.

I'm glad you agree Brian - I was beginning to think I was a bit thick. I think Anquet are well out of order! They shouldn't be selling software with no basic instructions. We should be entitled to a rebate...

Special thanks to Phil for going to the trouble of posting some of the UNDOCUMENTED instructions. I'm glad you mentioned the 'move map' function - I was playing with the PDA last night and couldn't figure out why (after finding a place) it would jump back to my location - now I know.

I shall print your instructions off and retain them. Meanwhile a letter of admonishment will be going to Anquet.

Thanks again lads!
for
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,
Have you used routes on the PDA version? It is probably my ignorance but I find them unusable. If I navigate a route the PDA compass works fine to begin with but if I do not go exactly through a way point the compass always points to that waypoint. The only way I have found around this is to then navigate to the next way point manually and then do it for every waypoint as it has it has lost the concept of the route? This is also a problem if you cannot get to the waypoint at the start of the route.

The software also gets confused if you have a circular walk that starts and stops at the same place as it will often jump to the end waypoint.

Any help appreciated!

Brian

iPAQ 3970 and XDA mini s
Socket Blutooth
TomTom Navigator 6
Anquet 1.2.6 & v6
Garmin Forerunner 205
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for delay...

I'm not at all convinced by the Virtual GPS function and don't use it that much. The times I have used it - it behaved like you described. I'm used to a 'real' GPS unit that has built in proximity so a close approach to a waypoint will trigger the next one in the route. That's why I still tend to use my good old GARMIN hand held simple GPS. It doesn't make me have to think about the technology when I'm out walking.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Anquet All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: