Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom TMC - Areas of Service / No Service
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom TMC - Areas of Service / No Service
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVRHack2 wrote:

Early doors for me - I'll be modding the aerial today - but I did notice that I couldn't get a signal at all with the TomTom running on battery power, but with it hooked up to the car charger (via a 12v mains power pack), the reception was just possible.

I'm guessing the charger works as a ground plane, in which case the same may be true in the car. For those having trouble with the unmodded TMC unit, if you aren't using the charger it's worth a try to see if the coverage improves at all.

I don't know if this has any bearing but I seem to recall that the Garmin GTM 12 TMC receiver worked OK (relatively) when powered via a USB lead from a PC/laptop but was pretty useless when used with the supplied 12V DC charger/power lead. This has resulted in Garmin supplying new 12v DC leads.
beaconlegal
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: England to Austria - and back ... Reply with quote

I've just returned today from a trip to Austria over Christmas and new Year so you may (or may not - in which case, sorry for taking up the space!) be interested to hear of my experience with the RDS-TMC receiver.

I have a GO 710 and an unmodified receiver - I'm afraid advanced electronic surgery is well beyond me. The car is a V reg Peugeot 406 Estate.

Having bought the 710 and the RDS-TMC together at beginning of November was very disappointed with RDC-TMC. Classic FM reception in Worcestershire, where I live, is not good even for audio - scratchy reception is the norm from Sutton Coldfield on 100.1

Very little reception of anything at all to start with, just occasional locking on to BBC Hereford and Worcester or Radio Wyvern - both being pumped out by the Malvern Repeater - and even these only occasionally.

Played around with the location of the antenna and found that much better reception achieved by routing the antenna from my 710 (which I place to my right by the driver's front pillar, just above the dash) up the right hand side of the windscreen and then along the top of the windscreen above the rear view mirror. Still got useless channels - BBC H&W and Wyvern - but more or less constant.

Anyway, decided I might as well have the thing plugged in on my trip to Austria just in case it worked at an opportune moment and saved my a long delay somewhere. 710 had software version 6.520 as latest version had not been released when I left before Christmas.

Got my first Classic FM signal and some traffic info at the summit of the A419 just NE of Swindon on the way to Dover and got it intermittently down to Kent.

In France got a signal and information almost straight away in Calais. Intermittent info through Belgium and Luxembourg. More or less constant info through Germany (Saarbrucken down to Bregenz) and fairly constant info in Austria through to Innsbruck (perhaps surprising given the fact the road winds through the Alps and spends a lot of time in tunnels where you still get full radio and mobile telephone reception!!)

On the return journey, Got info in Austria - though it completely failed to report the one hour delay on the Innsbruck side of the Arleberg Tunnel due to an accident - patchy information through Switzerland (came home a different way!), better in France, patchy in Belgium and then we were back in the UK.

In the UK, I got info when I left the ferry in Dover. I don't know whether this was due to a brief lock onto Classic because when I looked, It said I was tuned to "Invicta" and this stuck with me, as did the information, all the way to Reading where I stopped at the services. It seemed to me that Invicta was supplying the information - ???

When I restarted the car after the services, I got a selection of local stations all the way back to Worcestershire but no Classic FM and no information.

Have now updated software and will see if that makes any difference in the future.
Icenians
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: A12 and A14 Reply with quote

I'm getting reception around South Norfolk and North Suffolk but the bit of my daily commute I really need it for is a dead spot Sad

A14 Stowmarket junction to A14/A12 Junction (Ipswich) No reception
A12 From Ipswich to Chelmsford No reception.

All this with an unmodded aerial.

I'm going to mod it this weekend and report any improvement.
hijacker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too shall be modifying the TMC unit in the next few days after acquiring the necessary equipment today.

I shall report as soon as I can.
hijacker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly completed the mod. I have completed the work within the TMC unit and just need to hard-wire into the car aerial now. I'm working nights at the moment and it's dark outside so will have to wait until the morning!!

It's amazing how a strong signal boosts the peformance of this unit. I tried the unit out of the car and four floors up in an office block which outside has wide open views. On average, it locked onto the Classic FM channel within 10secs!! This compares to about 3-5mins for me when out in the car normally.

So far I am modding this unit using the core to core method and leaving the screen untouched and the unit maintains a Classic FM lock with the car charger either on or off.

A further update will be issued in due course ! Smile
Pritch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vicky wrote:

I also got hold of an internal Preamped antenna today, so am going to try that on the TomTom TMC and leave the car on the standard antenna see if that improves things.

Vicky, can you tell me exactly what sort of antenna you are using? - I would prefer to use a seperate antenna as I don't want to take a company car apart to get to the main antenna!
Cheers.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know which unit Vicky is using, coastersteve mentioned THIS One earlier in the thread. I have coupled my device to THIS and am happy to report a great improvement (not an option for most people - as it does involve drilling a hole) - Mike
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Vicky, can you tell me exactly what sort of antenna you are using? - I would prefer to use a seperate antenna as I don't want to take a company car apart to get to the main antenna!
Cheers

Hi

At the moment I am using a home made antenna splitter, with the signal from the standard car antenna supplying the TMC and car radio

I also have one the Preamped internal car antenna £10 from Halfords, sitting on my desk, I will have a go wit that over the weekend and see if it gives a significant increase in signal (Its a fairly unsightly thing to have on the screen, so unless it realy impresses me with a jump in performance I will stick to the splitter method

Cheers

Vicky
PPlutt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make an easy cheap test take an 24AWG (from inside a CAT 5 cable)
75cm long I dont know how many foot but it shoud be somthing like 29,5 inch.
And solder this to same place as coax core.
This improved my reception alot.
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I have made another alteration

As earlier mentioned at the moment I am using an antenna splitter to send the standard car antenna signal to the FM Radion and the TMC Unit

I also purchased the stick on the windscreen Powered Preamp antenna described here but was reluctant to use it, more untidy wires

So my solution, smash open the Preamp antenna, inside is a little PCB about the same size as the TMC one,

Connect the Car antenna lead to the inut lead on the preamp unit, connect the output leas to the splitter that supplys the Car Radio and the TMC, connect the Preamp power to my FM Stereo +12v Supply, wrap the whole 1" square budle in black tape and lose it behine the stereo

Now I get a much better car radio reception, as for better TMC, that I will find out over the next few days as I travel to areas that normally give bad reception,

If it does improve things not a bad investment at £9!!

Cheers

Vicky
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D IT WORKS :D

I now have full constant signal in areas that have been totally dead before even with the external antenna Mod.

Constant Signal all down the A38 from M1 Jnc28 to Derby, from 101.1 arriving Derby Signal dropped and picked up 100.1

I have never managed to get a signal before in these areas,

M1 South from M1 Jnc25 to M1 Jnc19 Solid signal from 100.1 and back from Jnc21 to Jnc28 from 100.1 then it switched to 101.1 for the last few miles home

Very Happy Bunny.

So My Final Mod (For Now Is)!!

Standard Car Roof Antenna

At the radio end of the car antenna lead I have soldered in the Preamp unit I took out of the £9 preamped Antenna and it picks up a +12v feed from a splice into the Car Radio Red Wire

The output from the preamp then feeds to a homemade splitter unit that feeds

a) The Car Radio
b) The Core Pad on the TMC Unit

Since fitting the preamp the signal meter on my car radio reports much stronger and stable reception, before Classic was fluctuating 3 or 4 bars out of 5. now its an almost constant solid 5

So if you are confident enough to do the basic solder mod to the antenna then I would strongly recommend the addition of the Preamp unit for £9 it has made the TMC unit a viable unit...

Cheers

Vicky
micknelson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vicky wrote:
:D IT WORKS :D

(snip)

So if you are confident enough to do the basic solder mod to the antenna then I would strongly recommend the addition of the Preamp unit for £9 it has made the TMC unit a viable unit...

Cheers

Vicky

Congratulations on getting yours working and thanks for sharing the info.
However not all users have the ability nor inclination to start disassembling and modding an off the shelf unit which according to the instructions is "just plug in and go".

It does appear that Tomtom have goofed and released a lemon and need to act quickly to recitify this otherwise they will be getting loads of them back (along with the main units if people have bought the two together).

I wouldn't have though the likes of PC World who are selling the two together will just sit back for long and accept return after return as people find out these don't work.

Not knocking your efforts at all Smile
pepperm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GizmoB73 wrote:
vicky wrote:
Can you supply details of the mod, as i would be interested in trying it.

I have drawn up a PDF "How To" guide with some pictures but I don't know how to upload it to this forum. If anybody can let me know how, I will post it up. Question

I have just received my TMC and had no luck getting any signal all day whilst driving around Stoke On Trent. So I have broken open the case to look at the mod referenced above. I haven't tried the mod yet.

I really am suprised that the mod works because the pdf details just connecting the aerial and ground connections to the boards ground plane, these points are really structural support points for an unfitted surface mount connector, J2. They are electrically connected and thus short the antenna. They are not connected to any antenna connections on the small PCB either. Any receiver gain increase can only be acquired perhaps through some fortunate parasitic connectivity.

Has this mod actually been successful for everyone who has followed it?

Mark
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a word YES, in a few words the modification has transformed the device into something that works.
I am using an amplified aerial feeding the unit and reception / traffic information is now present more often than not. Stoke is an area similar to Blackpool in terms of Classic FM signal strength, increase the presented signal to the device and its almost as if it has woken up from a deep sleep!
You are not the first person to query the connection points on the board being a short circuit, but the chap who reported that a week or so back has also found a significant increase in usability post modification - Mike
GizmoB73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
="pepperm
I really am suprised that the mod works because the pdf details just connecting the aerial and ground connections to the boards ground plane, these points are really structural support points for an unfitted surface mount connector, J2. They are electrically connected and thus short the antenna. They are not connected to any antenna connections on the small PCB either. Any receiver gain increase can only be acquired perhaps through some fortunate parasitic connectivity.

Has this mod actually been successful for everyone who has followed it?

Mark

Hi pepperm,

I may be biased as I wrote the original "How To" in the first place, but it is certainly working for me of course. There may be a short between the two pins at DC but from my testing, this definetely not the case at RF frequencies. This is probably not the right forum to go into the details, but there are some valid explanations for this. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss it further.

I use my TMC receiver with both the earth and core connected and get about 85% coverage whereas before I was lucky to acheive 15% coverage. Hopefully if I can add the amplifier mod too, it will be perfect.

I have to agree with Mike that this really shouldn't be the case that we have to do this kind of work to get a product into a useful state. Shame on TomTom, lets hope they sort this out!

Vicky, I have been into a few Halfords recently looking for an amplified antenna and also looked on the web. Could you post some details of the part numbers or packaging? The shops I have tried swear blind they don't have anything like this! Rolling Eyes It would be great if I could quote thier part number to them. Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 5 of 20

Jump to: