Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - does baud rate affect battery life of gps/ipaq
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

does baud rate affect battery life of gps/ipaq

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob61280
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: does baud rate affect battery life of gps/ipaq Reply with quote

Hi I was just wondering if anyone knows wether increasing the baud rate on my bluetooth gps reciever will reduce its battery life and/or my ipaqs battery life? also what affect does the baud rate have on accuracy etc?
thanks
Rob
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really won't impact much on the battery, but you also won't really see any improvement or issue with it.

Manufacturers usually set a default baud rate to which they are happy with. Most set this to 4800 although some set this to 38400 or 57600. The amount of data coming through the COM port at 4800 is very small indeed, so there is no bottleneck like for instance what you might see on a modem connected to a PC downloading a 2mb file. You can definately increase the baud rate, it just means that the small amount of data that comes through will come through a lot quicker. The GPS will just sit there waiting for the next stream of data. So really you won't see any difference. The positional information you get will be identical, likewise the time for fixes will be the same.

The only difference you will see is on the Navman sleeves where the GPS processor is in close proximity to the iPAQ processor. This can cause interference (RF Noise), so having a faster baud rate means that you get more time when the GPS isn't sending data to the Pocket PC which then helps cut down interference. This is the only time really when you will find it better having a higher baud rate.
rob61280
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks for the info dave, it was just one of those niggling things i had been wondering about
thanks again
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just browsing your astronomy pages. Would dearly love a decent telescope but cannot justify the expense yet. Coincidentally I am from Llandudno, nice Aurora pictures, when were they taken?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: