Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What POI-Sync can I use in the US with TOMTOM 2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What POI-Sync can I use in the US with TOMTOM 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mciortea
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: What POI-Sync can I use in the US with TOMTOM 2 Reply with quote

What POI-Sync can I use in the US with TOMTOM 2?

What works in the US?

Thanks
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/PocketGPSPOISync.php

We only have the following POI's at present:-
Monuments USA
National Parks
US States
Zipcodes

If you find anymore, mail them to us and we'll add them to the sync service for USA.
mciortea
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: More questions Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply to my post.

Here is what I like to do.
I would like to start a POI of all Starbucks in the US.

1. Can I somehow extract all lockationsfrom the TomTom POI and then create a ov2 file from that? (I know it would be incomplete, but it would be a start.)

2. If 1 does not work could I start a POI myself and then have other user contribute to it. ( kind of a Open Source Project )

3. Could I get step by step instruction on how to do that Embarassed

I realy want to get something started, but I can't not possible go to all location myself and add the cord.

Thank you for your help.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. There's no easy way of extracting all types of POI's from the TomTom databases, in-fact there's no easy way of extracting any apart from a manual task.

2. You certainly could, that's the main reason why we have a TomTom POI page here on the website and a POI-Sync Service.

3. All you need to know is the Latitude and Longitude of each location, and you might have to use several different sites or applications, but you can find a store on a map (most companies show you where there store is located) and you could roughly plot this on a map and obtain a Lat/Long. You then give it a description and put it into an Excel spreadsheet. Save this as a CSV file, and you can use TomTom's own utils MAKEOV2 and DUMPOV2 to make an CSV to POI(OV2) file, or to decompile an OV2 using DUMPOV2 back to CSV. Then submit it to us and we'll include it on the TomTom POI page and POI-Sync Service.
oldschool
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Starbucks POI Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread but never mind.

I created a POI file for all Starbucks branches in the UK a while ago. I emailed Starbucks asking for a list of all their branches. I used the postcodes to determine the lat/long co-ords (using url]www.streetmap.co.uk[/url] )and basically did what Dave discribed in the previous post. Took quite a long time mind you! They have a lot of branches in the UK.

If anyone knows of an automated way to get a lat/long from a postcode, do let me know!

Graham

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: