Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pocketgps safety camera count?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocketgps safety camera count?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supertouring
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went on Scotland trip with some other drivers over the weekend, many of whom have the Road Angel. They reported several warnings of cameras which were no longer present, so no-body is perfect.

And remember that these units are approaching 400 quid each with annual renewal fees I believe! I will stick to the list on this site, and contribute where I can for the benefit of everyone.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the problem with all speed camera systems, whether it be free or paid for, you will have a margin of error, mainly because the user base is sending in cameras. The amount of camera's we get re-submitted by people that have moved a few feet, it's difficult to tell whether the first or second entries are correct, and also whether someone submits a camera, another removes it and another submits it.

It's all difficult to manage.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Everybody at Pocket GPS does a damn fine job. We appreciate it! Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robert, it's always good to hear! :D
Barney
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely since the cameras on our roads have been placed at locations which have been deemed dangerous (and not for purely revenue generating tools), the locations of all of these cameras should be made easily accessible to the general public.
If the information was in the public domain, anyone capable of using the information would be able to obtain advance warning of potential hazards ahead. Thus saving voters lives........

So do I write to my MP, or the head of the Department of Transport for the Lat Longs of all of the nice cameras?????????????
russgunn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barney, not all cameras are fixed. I estimate about 30% of all road side units like Gatsos and Truvellos are mobile. For example, if you take the recent M6 toll roadworks around Birmingham there were around 8 Gatso units along the whole stretch of the roadworks which moved positions every 2 weeks. The Police are not daft, they know that people will start to remember where the cameras are so they move them to catch them out on another stretch of road. One camera in particular moved about 800 yards further north in the space of a day according to my own CheckPOInt entry.

Believe me it works, I use this stretch of road alot and I must have seen 200 cars in the space of 1 month not realise the camera had moved and pass the camera at well over 80mph! That's just my observations and the fact that the last figure sign I saw on the M6 showed over 10,000 recorded offences means people aren't taking any notice at all.

One thing also to consider is that there seems to be a few pocketgps SC entries along the M6 that are in fact just CCTV cameras. Users obviously thought they were SPECS units when they recorded them but as I understand it SPECS are usually one camera over each lane or two cameras side by side over one or two lanes. Never a single camera at the side of a road, side of a gantry or on top of a pole. These are just traffic flow and weight cameras for RAC, AA, police, news, webcams etc etc.
SlimboyFat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And also make sure you send the data in fast. I found 3 Cameras in my local area that weren't in the database (2 of these have been there for many years). Once I found out how to record them (newbie) I did. Decided to leave uploading to the day after. The day after there was a update on the site with all 3 cameras now recorded. There goes my brownie points. Smile
MR_WHITE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One quick question does this database include the new digital speed cameras often found on motorways between two points which measure your speed?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will be SPECS. At the moment apart from Northampton I know of no other installations except for some temporary ones in M-Way roadworks.

These present another problem for our database. Because they measure average speed over a measured distance we need some way of alerting that you have entered/exited a SPECS zone which current POI proximity alert software cannot do.

The commercial GPS based detectors handle SPECS with varying degrees of success.
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note for those that don't know Specs went live on the M4 East of Reading mid October last year - lots of local announcements on the radio etc. Not sure of the exact locations as I haven't had to travel that way since I changed jobs (in October coincidentally).

DinAlt
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking about the M4 Specs cameras between J12 and J14, this was false.

M4 SPECS Rumour False
Another silly rumour is being circulated about SPECS speed cameras being hidden in new message signs on the M4 between J12 and J14. The Highways Agency have advised us that this is not true. The signs are merely linked to sensors that monitor overall traffic speed in order to activate the warning signs.

A similar rumour was circulated earlier this year relating to such signs on the M4 in South Wales. There is a growing suspicion that these rumours are being deliberately engineered by anti-car groups.

http://www.abd.org.uk/local/west_berkshire.htm

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: