Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman T1 reception problems and fix.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman T1 reception problems and fix.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Navman T1 reception problems and fix. Reply with quote

(ICN 750 + T1 TMC ADAPTER.)
I like a few others was having a problem getting any reception with my T1 tmc adapter and after looking through this forum found little help to speak of. Just short of adding or connecting to the cars fm arial which is somthig i didn't want to do. The way I set it up now though is working very well and using only the standard arial that comes with the T1 pack. This post is to help any one else who needs it. P.S. this works for me so obviously no guarante this will work for everyone, but the key is to play with it a little.
Firstly I have my icn750 positioned on the very right of my windscreen not in the middle as suggested in the manual. From here I have run the ariel up the right side pillar and across the windscreen. You must use all of the cable supplied, this is important as tucking excess cable away will affect the signal greatly. At the end of the ariel cable the T section should reach to the left side of the rear view mirror (depending on car) and at this point reception should improve. However having the T section positioned the right way up will improve the signal more than the other way, like an inverted T.
I don't like cable showing all over my dash and after hiding the cable behind the interior coverings I noticed no change to my imroved signal.
Note: having the arial like this is a little directional and changes in reception will be noticed depending on direction of travel.
I do hope this helps someone as this is what I needed when I was trying to sort out mine.
Mav281
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to add some comments here from my own personal experiences. I have very recently brought a Navman ICN530 and the T1 traffic package. Like so many other people I immediatley had issues with the T1 not picking up a signal and simply sitting there saying scanning.

I have experimented with numerous differt positions for the supplied ariel and was just about to give up on it when I struck gold 8O

I found the answer was to put the ariel behind the sunvisor on the passengers side and hide the cable away as much as possible. To my shock the TMC unit suddenly picked up classic and went banannas downloading updates. I went for a drive with it setup like this and not once in 45 mins worth of driving did the signal drop or stop recieving.

I did think this may be a fluke because the TMC unit had been switched on and scanning for nearly 30 mins on my way home already. So I decided to leave the champagne on ice until I tested it the next morning. To my absolute joy I found that the unit instantly started picking up classic and was downloading traffic updates like there was no tomorrow :D

It's now been working flawlessly for the past 3 days without any issues what so ever. The unit picks up the Classic TMC transmissions instantly as soon as I switch on the unit. I am now one very happy Navman TMC user.

FYI just in case your wandering about reception I am based near Chelmsford in Essex.

Hope this helps others get their TMC units up and running !!
SteveMcc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have been having problems getting reception on the T1 connected to my 530. I will try moving the antenna of the T1 to the passenger sun visor this weekend.

Not knowing much at all about radio reception, can anyone advise me if having a heat-reflective windscreen makes it more difficult for me to get a good signal? (I have a 2004 Renault Megane). I thought that it might make reception worse, but I have made sure that (currently) the antenna is attached to the bit of windscreen around the rear view mirror that Renault say you should use for GPS antennas etc. However, that didn't seem to improve things anyway!

It's a real shame it is so difficult to get a good signal for the T1. When it does work, it is a really usefull addition to the 530. It saved me from 1 very long tailback. It's just so frustrating that I seldom get a signal, even on the M25 between the M3 and A1. Navman Support haven't even bothered to return my phone call yet!
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi steve

As far as I know heat reflective screens are a nightmare for forms of reception. But given that the T1 reception is so touch and go at best you may have to concider converting to the homemade external ariel method.

Try these first before you give up:
Put the ariel back to the rear veiw mirror but ensure the cable to tight and only in straight lines (do not coil it or stuff it in a corner)

Cirtainly the passernger side, thats where mine is but I don't have a Heat reflective screen. But remember (tight cable)

or attach it outside on the windscreen (not a great idea but it'll let you know if its the screen or not).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you guys might pick up some ideas from THIS Thread, a number of people have found it to work, OK an external aerial is not for everyone, but it might be worth considering, wired in you would have less wires strewn accross the dash - Mike
SteveMcc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise. A bit of experimenting needed by me now, then, I think. I will email Navman too (as phoning didn't work) on the off chance that they eventually do something about it.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutly right mike, but like I said I don't want an external ariel, and as mine works fine on the std ariel I see no point. (at least right now)

This thead is only to help those who need it. If these bits of advise help others to see there gps working as it should then great if they then choose to boost the reception after by attaching the BT tower to thier cars then better still.
anesbitt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveMcc wrote:
Thanks for the advise. A bit of experimenting needed by me now, then, I think. I will email Navman too (as phoning didn't work) on the off chance that they eventually do something about it.

Steve. I also have a Renault and tried the internal aerial everywhere, the reception was poor which is worse than having no reception at all. Unless you have consistent reception you end up detouring past cleared incidents, and driving into others.
I bought the miniscan aerial from Maplin, fitted a new connector and now it works as it should.
I'm pestering Navman to get the screen icons sorted. The icon to indicate receiving RDS TCM doesn't ever show, and the loss of signal icon indicates dropping from receiving to scanning. Not very useful as it should show dropping from "Receiving TCM" to be of any benefit.
Navman tech support uksupport@navman-support.com I'm guessing are pretty much call centre standard. The responses I have had indicate they don't pay much attention to the question, just reply with a stock and vague answer.
You may hitit lucky though, so good luck and let us know....
Alan
SteveMcc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't been able to experiment with antenna positions as I've been on holiday in France. However, leaving the antenna attached to the passenger sun visor, I had no problems at all in getting TMC reception all the way from Calais down to the French Alps. So, at least I've now convinced myself that the unit works fine, and that it is more down to lack of enough signal from Classic FM when in the UK.
anesbitt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveMcc wrote:
Haven't been able to experiment with antenna positions as I've been on holiday in France. However, leaving the antenna attached to the passenger sun visor, I had no problems at all in getting TMC reception all the way from Calais down to the French Alps. So, at least I've now convinced myself that the unit works fine, and that it is more down to lack of enough signal from Classic FM when in the UK.

You could always move to Central Scotland. you can receive TMC from Classic FM, Clyde1 and West Sound.. :D Although perhaps the French Alps would be better 8)

Alan
strutha
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Seems like a big waste of time and money Reply with quote

Wish I had seen this thread before I shelled out for a T1 to go with my icn750. I travel daily from Cambridge to Maidenhead and in all that time I get about 20 minutes reception max using the standard aerial. And even then the quality (i.e. timeliness and accuracy) of the messages leaves much to be desired, to the extent that I'm not convinced its worth spending even more to get a better antenna. It galls me that Navman don't sell it with a decent antenna in the first place Evil or Very Mad.

I really want to believe that this will turn out to be a good investment - has anybody got anything good to say about it?

Andy
adampowell30
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strutha wrote:
I really want to believe that this will turn out to be a good investment - has anybody got anything good to say about it?

Having followed with interest this thread, and other similar discussions on other forums, I decided to take the plunge and purchase the T1 last week as an add-on to the iCN530 which I've had for several months. I checked with globalpositioningsystems.co.uk that I could return it were it to prove useless, which I could do within 7 days ...

However, there's no need as it's been worked very well. What's more, the unit is working without any elaborate additional aerial fittings. In fact, it's working in a Ford Focus C-Max with all cables concealed in the car's front stowage unit on the dash, without even fitting the antenna to the windscreen - which isn't athermic but is heated - helping a few concerns I've read on security.

Although I've been using the unit for under a week, I've got nothing negative to say about the unit. There are areas with little or no reception but has been working fine in and around Bath, along some of the M4 and on a route from Bath to North of Oxford. There have been a couple of inaccuracies (no notification of very slow traffic despite reception, and an alert of lane closures on the M4 which didn't exist), but these would seem to be TMC faults rather than Navman.

So in summary, I'm delighted with how the system has worked and, whilst it could just be a lucky combination between unit and car, I'll be continuing to use it with my current "beginner's luck" set-up.

Adam
castlebeerman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Navman T1 poor aerial reception Reply with quote

Hi there all

I have been reading this forum with a lot of interest as I in advertently broke the mcx connector on the aerial supplied with the T1. After much searching and hit and miss buying various couplings and adaptors, I hit the jackpot.
I purchased a mag miniscan from Maplins and believe it or not a Garmin BNC to MCX connector. Put them all together and it works a treat. I live in the Leatherhead area and it picked up Classic FM first time and started data processing immediately. All I can say is I am now a happy camper!!! Laughing
Even though it has cost me a bit more than I expected with the various items (of which I am sure I can do something with) perseverance is the key.
The miniscan cost me £14 and the BNC adaptor cost me £17
It is a pity that Navman, even though their product is excellent, after sales and support are a waste of time. (Try and buy a seperate aerial for a second car for instance!!!) Crying or Very sad
Anyway good luck with your variants of the aerial, I hope this is of some use to us beginners out there

Regards

Steve
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going down the same route as you and iv basically put the cable from driver side all the way round to the back and along to the passenger side middle and mag mount in the middle of roof . I am now waiting for the connection with bated breath and if it works i will be asking Navman why are they selling an inferior antenna .
Dustysworld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update

Did the same as the previous poster and the unit kicked in to life as soon as it was plugged in . No 5 Min's or 30 Min's. It was 5 seconds .

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: