Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Spoken voice alerts - problems installing ??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Spoken voice alerts - problems installing ??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jono400
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Spoken voice alerts - problems installing ?? Reply with quote

have changed data.chk files to real voice alerts (LIZ) on my HP Ipaq 5450 but the original "Bells & Whistles" still sound. The file downloaded was for the correct version as shown on the screen (ie Version 5.00 and the correct 4 digit number following. I then removed the original file (data.chk) but still "Bells & Whistles". In desparation I tried another download for the correct version but still "Bells & Whistles" Can anyone help. I have changed voices previosly on another PDA with no problems.

John
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you soft reset the device since changing the file? give the reset switch a prod with the stylus and try it again, it should then work - Mike
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you also modify and re-install the Tomtom .exe?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should only need to modify the tomtom.exe file if you mess around with the extended warnings, if this is a pre-sorted 15 alert only file (which is avail from Rays site) there is no need to play with the tomtom.exe - Mike
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it was the full monty. That case then, yes soft reset.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Spoken voice alerts - problems installing ?? Reply with quote

jono400 wrote:
I then removed the original file (data.chk) but still "Bells & Whistles".

Did you change the data.chk in My Device/Program Files/Navigator?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
jono400
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Spoken voice alerts - problems installing ?? Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
jono400 wrote:
I then removed the original file (data.chk) but still "Bells & Whistles".

Did you change the data.chk in My Device/Program Files/Navigator?

First off all thanks so much for the quick replies guys, unfortunately still no further forward in getting these new voice files " LIZ " working on my pda.

the new voice file was installed into the tomtom folder and re-named data.chk and the original file saved and removed. when trying to enable voice warnings the original bells and whistles sound.

really am at a total loss off what to try next ??!! - anyone anything else I could try ?? have tried the soft resett as well - no difference.

version page on tomtom navigator shows app version 5.000 (4890 and gt britaib map version 562 )

anyone ??

FAO - oldboy re. your suggestion regards changing the data.chk in my device / program files / navigatot could you just clarrify how to do this ??
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one data.chk file and it resides in the my device/ program files/ navigator folder.

If you use Windows Explorer while the PDA is docked to the PC and navigate to this folder you will find a file named data.chk (probably just data on the screen) - re-name this file to old_data.chk

Then locate your new data.chk file on the PC, This file MUST be named data.chk as nothing else will work,,as you have downloaded this file from Rays site it will be supplied with the file name of liz_mrv_ppc5.data.chk before copying to the PPC right click the file within windows explorer select rename and simply call the new file data.chk

Select this renamed file with a right click of the mouse, and select "Copy" from the pop-up box, go back to the Mobile Device/ program files/ navigator folder, right click in the free space within the folder and select paste from the pop-up box.

Once the file has copied to the correct location soft reset the device, and then configure the warnings within TomTom.

If you have a file named liz_mrv_ppc5.data.chk in the my device/ program files/ navigator folder, simply re-name this to data.chk then soft reset the device an enjoy the warnings, it is well worth the effort, the Liz voice is better than the OEM supplied ones IMHO - mike
jono400
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay mate thanks so much again for your quick, detailed reply, will certainly have another look at the pda tomorrow and using your excellent guide am sure I will crack it this time !!

if not will see you tomorrow night !!!

thanks again for now, appreciatte that.

john
jono400
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay mate having just re-read your detailed reply have just realised that you mention a docking station, problem - not got one !!

any idea if you can do the procedure which you mention above straight from the actual card reader ?? actually have a data cable for the pda ( ipaq 5450 ) but when plugged into the pc it will advise new hardware found / no software detected, anyone any idea if a driver programme can be downloaded for this particular pda ??

so okay if you could just give me a quick reply re the above that would be great sure I will get there in the end !!

thanks again
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets assume you are changing the single file, without messing around trying to get the 30 warnings POIExtend offers.

First create a folder on the root or the SD card called spoken.

With the memory card in the reader conected to the PC copy the revised data.chk file to the folder named spoken.

Once data transfer has finished, remove the memory card from the PC and re-fit it to the PDA.

Using File Explorer on the PDA go to program files/ navigator and find the file named data, tap and hold, from the pop-up menu select re-name call this file Old_data

Using File Explorer on the PDA go to the storage card spoken folder, locate the new data.chk file, tap and hold select copy from the pop-up box.

Using file Explorer go to programe files/ navigator and in free space on the screen tap and hold - from the pop-up box select paste.
Once the data has transfered soft reset the device, fire up tomtom and re-configure the warnings.

I appreciate the above sounds long winded, but with practice you can do the above in less than 30 seconds.

A data cable a connection to the PC is easier, but if you follow the above you should get there. Mike

Edit once Mike Alder to add the following, if you get no conection to the PC have you got Active Sync installed on the PC? if not download it and install from the microsoft web site
oldfogy
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the new voice file was installed into the tomtom folder and re-named data.chk and the original file saved and removed. when trying to enable voice warnings the original bells and whistles sound.

I appreciate the advice given in posts above are what you need to do.

But, are you re-naming the original data.chk file first?
i.e. old_data.chk

Then, change the name of the one you want to insert, and paste this new file as data.chk

It might be the new one is not overwriting your original file (although unlikely)?
jono400
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate, first off all sorry for not getting back quicker been busy with the usual weekend family stuff!! but just to say thanks so much again for taking the time to write some very good advice on how exactly I went about putting on these speed zoned files, well happy to say that am almost there just the last final bit now !!

okay I now have all speed zoned for gatso and mobile cameras installed, set and working, the problem being that specs / temp and red light cameras do not show up on the pda`s list off poi`s.

a check off the files shows that the ovp and bmp for these files are actually installed, any idea on where they are and just how do I activate them ??

just wonder if there is infact a max number off poi`s allowed on tomtom 5 software ?? do have a good few other poi`s ( petrol stations, macdonalds`setc ) just wonder if I have maybe exceeded the limit off poi`s allows and this is the reason the other types off cams are not showing within ???

maybe you can just advise re the above and hopefully this time everyting will be sorted !!

thanks so much again anyway you help has been very much appreciatted.

cheers,
john

messing around trying to get the 30 warnings POIExtend offers.

First create a folder on the root or the SD card called spoken.

With the memory card in the reader conected to the PC copy the revised data.chk file to the folder named spoken.

Once data transfer has finished, remove the memory card from the PC and re-fit it to the PDA.

Using File Explorer on the PDA go to program files/ navigator and find the file named data, tap and hold, from the pop-up menu select re-name call this file Old_data

Using File Explorer on the PDA go to the storage card spoken folder, locate the new data.chk file, tap and hold select copy from the pop-up box.

Using file Explorer go to programe files/ navigator and in free space on the screen tap and hold - from the pop-up box select paste.
Once the data has transfered soft reset the device, fire up tomtom and re-configure the warnings.

I appreciate the above sounds long winded, but with practice you can do the above in less than 30 seconds.

A data cable a connection to the PC is easier, but if you follow the above you should get there. Mike

Edit once Mike Alder to add the following, if you get no conection to the PC have you got Active Sync installed on the PC? if not download it and install from the microsoft web site[/quote]
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jono400 wrote:
just wonder if there is infact a max number off poi`s allowed on tomtom 5 software ?? do have a good few other poi`s ( petrol stations, macdonalds`setc ) just wonder if I have maybe exceeded the limit off poi`s allows and this is the reason the other types off cams are not showing within ???
Yes there is a limit of 39 custom POI's that can be added, you might need to delete some of the others to free up the device so it can see the fully speed zoned files (23 in total so you only have 16 others to go at), for petrol stations there are some exellent POI files avail from Oldboys web site so it might be a start to remove the files you have loaded and replace them with a single file from; try this link http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/oldboy/TomTomPOI/index.html - Mike
jono400
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay mate, me again - oh no says you Laughing

okay have now succusfully got everything working, took your advice and deleted a few off the POI`S I have loaded on my ipaq pda, deleted a few off the ones that I will probably never use and also took your advice regards deleting the seperate petrol station pois ( shell , esso etc ) and am now ready to replace them with this one single file version from the above website which you kindly suggested where I could obtain it from.

final problem ( honestly !! ) is I have now downloaded this single petrol station fiile from the above website just need to know exactly how to go about loading it onto my pda ??

I take it all poi files are the same for whatever version off TomTom 5 you use ie. mobile, navigator, go etc ?? if so I take it this downloaded file is okay for use with my tomtom nav 5 software ??

thats it the final piece off the jigsaw !! got there in the end thanks once again to all your help - if you do get a chance to offer this final bit off advice then that woud be great as well.

cheers,
john

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: