Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Holux is from from Taiwan not UK...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Holux is from from Taiwan not UK...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpthk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Holux is from from Taiwan not UK... Reply with quote

This is funny...All the links in this website are showing it's from Holux UK. UK doesn't even make it...

The brand, design, manufacture are all from Taiwan not UK...I think the webmaster needs to change the info...
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the manufactures have links to the Uk hence the reason the links on here go to the UK sites.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Holux is from from Taiwan not UK... Reply with quote

cpthk wrote:
All the links in this website are showing it's from Holux UK. UK doesn't even make it...

No, but there is a company called Holux UK who are the UK distributor of the Holux GPS receivers.

Holux UK take a GPS receiver from Holux Taiwan, wave their magic wand over it to make it "UK Spec" then add 50% to the price before selling it here.
JM-HoluxUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Can I add my comments to this thread as I beleive I know where this has come from.

Skippy quite rightly has said that Holux UK are the agent for the manufacturer.

We have been getting an increasing amount of calls/emails/trouble tickets from customers who have purchased Holux devices from suppliers based outside of the UK, such as Merchant Run (ebay trader) & Nav4All. These guys are shipping Holux devices in to the UK at lower prices than the Holux UK Authorised Retailers. We (Holux UK) take this on the chin, shrug our shoulders & get on, trying a little harder to make the sale. (50% mark up would be nice! )

The problem then arises for the customer if the device goes wrong, as I believe has happened in this case. The customer contacts us beleiving we are the manufacturer. He is then advised that he needs to return to the retailer he has purchased his device from. This is the same response he will get if he has purchased from one of our authorised resellers. Of course if that reseller is overseas he gets a bit upset - especially if the reseller fails to answer his emails, as the next step is to contact the manufacturer as this is who the devices warranty is with.

The reason the price of a UK purchased Holux device is higher than that of an overseas device is then plainly obvious - you get the support of a UK based company. For that you may have to pay a little more.

I'm sure there are plenty of PGPS forum members out there who have had the experience - I won't say pleasure, as having a faulty device is not pleasureable - of dealing with our tech support. No doubt there are some that have had a bad experience & I'm sure they'll appear out of the woodwork in this posting - my apologies to those that have. I would hope that the majority of you have found my staff to be helpful & efficent - please fell free to let me know if not!

I have made the statement in other threads that if you have a problem with a Holux device that you have not purchased from us or one of our authorised dealers, then we will do our best to assist you should the retailer not respond. What we will not do is exchange your device under the manufacturers warranty or carry out any upgrade work without charging for our time. I'm sure that most of you can understand why - we've not made the sale so have not had our little bit of profit to be able to cover our costs!

I hope my ranting has cleared up any misunderstanding up for those of you with receivers sourced from outside the UK that have become faulty.
Regards,
Julie Moy
Business Director
Holux UK

PS: If you have a problem please feel free to PM me - I'll do what I can to help.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Holux is from from Taiwan not UK... Reply with quote

cpthk wrote:

This is funny...All the links in this website are showing it's from Holux UK. UK doesn't even make it...

The brand, design, manufacture are all from Taiwan not UK...I think the webmaster needs to change the info...

And? It's not unusual for a far eastern manufacturer to have an official UK Distributor. I see you've posted this twice in seperate threads so can only assume you have a gripe, please desist from making multiple posts on the same subject.
dannyoneill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also by buying UK dont forget that Mr Brown gets his 17.5% as well whereas most ebay sellers try to fly them in under the tax man radar so saving you money there.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannyoneill wrote:
Also by buying UK dont forget that Mr Brown gets his 17.5% as well whereas most ebay sellers try to fly them in under the tax man radar so saving you money there.

Until it breaks and you need support of course, then you'll discover that the saving wasn't quite as good as it appeared as the UK Agents have no responsibility for providing warranty support for grey market goods.
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that what JM-HoluxUK (and apparently Darren) do not want us to realize is that HoluxUK is the appointed monopoly distributor there. In other words, competition is precluded in the UK, by this special dispensation from Holux.

The effect is that business risk is shifted from the corporation... to the consumer. Here's how: HoluxUK gets a nice markup, as the monopoly dealer. Their price is higher than the market, and so buyers look for alternatives. Buyers are gambling thus, that the device is of high quality, and so will not require a high level of support. When problems arise, the consumer is left holding the bag, and so risk has been shifted to the customer, resulting in lower costs for Holux, and higher margins for their correspondent distributors.

Have a nice day! :D
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantum wrote:
I guess that what JM-HoluxUK (and apparently Darren) do not want us to realize is that HoluxUK is the appointed monopoly distributor there. In other words, competition is precluded in the UK, by this special dispensation from Holux.

The effect is that business risk is shifted from the corporation... to the consumer. Here's how: HoluxUK gets a nice markup, as the monopoly dealer. Their price is higher than the market, and so buyers look for alternatives. Buyers are gambling thus, that the device is of high quality, and so will not require a high level of support. When problems arise, the consumer is left holding the bag, and so risk has been shifted to the customer, resulting in lower costs for Holux, and higher margins for their correspondent distributors.

Have a nice day! :D
You've hit on the benefits/drawbacks of all purchases made using t'internet/ebay/"grey importers". Its cheaper, but when it breaks you won't get a factory fix and you have to try to get the "dodgy geezer" you bought it from to help out. It's just that if you buy several thousand pounds worth of Japanese car/motorbike from a "grey importer", you would hope that they will still be there when you need service/warranty. If you buy from someone in Taiwan (I don't mean Holux directly) using ebay, they may or may not help if you have a problem, but then the bet/risk is much lower.

Some posters seem to be suggesting that this is a dastardly plan by Holux, but you'll find that most foreign manufacturers, who have importers/support structure here, are a bit less than fully supportive, if you bypass that structure in order to save some money!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a dastardly plan by Holux, although I doubt they have enough sense to clearly understand the high finance. They have certainly noticed the economics.

I am not saying that they are the only ones who do this. I am saying that this is a form of corporate cheating, by shifting costs to their customers.

Ah'm just sayin' tha truth, now.

If you go on the assumption that everyone has a right to see after their own best interests, and assume that there is a free market (which there is not), Holux is representing one thing, but giving less. They get away with it because they are not alone in doing it; this does not mean it is right.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantum wrote:
It is a dastardly plan by Holux.
I don't have a Holux GPS and, therefore, I don't follow the Holux forums. I get the impression that I'm missing something that has been discussed in other threads.
Quantum wrote:

Holux is representing one thing, but giving less.
What are they promising but not providing?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't missed anything. These are just my observations.

They are promising a warranty of a certain length, but those who buy outside of channels, effectively get none. This is intentional, in setting up the exclusive channel in the UK, although as I say, Holux is not the only one who does this.

Maybe you aren't gathering what I'd said in my first mention of this, above.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm perfectly comfortable with the idea that warranty repair is only available from Holux UK on products imported through them.
My first Holux receiver was a GM210 which I bought directly from Holux UK. Nothing went wrong with that, but I did get good support from them on another problem.
However, the position was not quite so clear cut when I bought my GPSlim 236. I went to the Holux UK web site, and did not seem able to buy it directly from them. However, they showed a list of authorised UK sellers, and I clicked on one of those and bought it. However, from the post above, it seems that if I have a problem, I will have to go back to that seller. I had assumed that, as the seller was authorised by them, the 236 had been imported through Holux UK and I would have recourse to them if it failed. I had no knowledge of the reputation of the seller, but didn't worry about that as I thought it was an official import and I would be protected.
Fortunately, the GPSlim is still working well and I haven't had to return it to the seller
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
However, the position was not quite so clear cut when I bought my GPSlim 236. I went to the Holux UK web site, and did not seem able to buy it directly from them. However, they showed a list of authorised UK sellers, and I clicked on one of those and bought it. However, from the post above, it seems that if I have a problem, I will have to go back to that seller. I had assumed that, as the seller was authorised by them, the 236 had been imported through Holux UK and I would have recourse to them if it failed. I had no knowledge of the reputation of the seller, but didn't worry about that as I thought it was an official import and I would be protected.
Fortunately, the GPSlim is still working well and I haven't had to return it to the seller
Robin
Under normal circumstances, your first contact should be with the person who sold you the item, it is them that you entered into a contract with. Only if you get no satisfaction from them, would you contact the manufacturer.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: