Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New download system - Comments and suggestions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New download system - Comments and suggestions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Persistent Download Problems Reply with quote

galaxy111 wrote:
I still can't download the camera database file, even though I have 21 days subscription left. This has been reported previously to Pocket GPS World, who responded very quickly and sent me the files by E-mail - thanks.

But if this problem persists, it's going to discourage a lot of users from subscribing in the future. I feel certain that the failure is a result of the software that PGPSW have written for the download page.

The problem affects both my office PC (Pentium 4, Windows 2000 Pro, IE5) and my home computer (Apple Mac G4, OS X 2.8, Safari). So it seems to affect a lot of different systems.

Just spotted this on another thread:

daveXIII wrote:

Apparently the error -37 that stuffit was reporting is linked to the filename, which in this case is very long.

I renamed the zip file and stuffit worked fine.

Please let me know if this works for you Mike.
mike123w
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
mike123w wrote:
Hi I am trying to subscribe for 12 months to the speed camera data base
but the site won't let me , it keeps saying that i need to register first
to become a member which I already have done, not sure if I am doing
anything wrong! Rolling Eyes

Thanks for your time and help.

Hi Mike.

I assume that you are logged on (as you are now to post) Are you using www.pocketgpsworld.com/subscribe.php ?

Thanks for your help MikeB,
Went to the link you gave me and found it let me subscribe once I had refreshed the page. :D

Cheers mike.
hcl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Firefox - DownloadProblems Reply with quote

I also have problems with downloading the database when I use Firefox (1.0.7, but not being an afficianado in this matter, I cannot say if I have all these add-ons I keep reading about to be honest - sorry!); (it must be Firefox as IE OK - so although I DO have the database it was only by using IE.
As my Firewall is the same (Zonealarm) for both browsers it cannot be the Firewall in itself causing the problem.
I also use AVG as my Virus checker (again for both IE and Firefox), so it would appear that it's not AVG.

The only common denominator here, is Firefox, so ... what now???

Darren wrote:
Alen wrote:
OK.... my registration expires in 16 days etc etc...... but what is the point of of subscribing if I can't download the data base? I keep seeing:-

"IE is not able to open this internet site - the requested site is unavailable or cannot be found, please try again later".

Darren kindly sent the DB by email - but this is not ideal. Any ideas how to fix this?

Alen

It would help if you supplied more details, you are in the minority as many are using the new system with a variety of browsers without any problems.

If you can tell me your browser version, OS, Firewall Software, AV etc it might help?
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi hcl and a belated welcome to the forums!

Just in case you haven't seen our Camera Help Frequent Questions yet:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=35213

Q. I use FireFox, why am I having problems?

A. Please see the following threads:

New download system - Comments and suggestions

Subscribing to PocketGPSWorld.com

Possible download problem
Peter_RN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Firefox - DownloadProblems Reply with quote

[quote="hcl"]I also have problems with downloading the database when I use Firefox (1.0.7, but not being an afficianado in this matter, I cannot say if I have all these add-ons I keep reading about to be honest - sorry!); (it must be Firefox as IE OK - so although I DO have the database it was only by using IE.
As my Firewall is the same (Zonealarm) for both browsers it cannot be the Firewall in itself causing the problem.
I also use AVG as my Virus checker (again for both IE and Firefox), so it would appear that it's not AVG.

The only common denominator here, is Firefox, so ... what now???

Hi hcl

I think you will find that the cause is a mix of ZoneAlarm AND Firefox.

I have just loaded Firefox as I am a fan of tabbed browsers, and have found the same problem as you and many others; download works fine in IE won't work in Firefox.

If you open ZoneAlarm and then the 'Privacy' tab and temporarily Turn 'OFF' BOTH 'Cookie Control' AND 'Ad Blocking' I think you will find that you are then able to complete the download.

If I am right and this works for you (as well as for me) there is a problem, because the normal way of correcting such a problem in ZoneAlarm will not work on this site using Firefox.

Perhaps you could try this and post back whether or not this works for you, then we can move on from there.

Also I note that if I open the Javascript Console it is reporting many errors in the code of 'pocketgpsworld.com', it is though a think a ZoneAlarm/Firefox conflict in both our cases.

Kind regards
Peter
PaulMellors
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't unpak the database either. Using OX.4.6 I have tried Safari, Firefox, IE & Netscape but all give me a zip file of 140Kb which will not expand.

Can I get the file sent via email?

Thanks

Paul
PaulMellors
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuffit 10 has solved the problem
PeteNoble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: download problem Reply with quote

By navigating through Copilot 6 - Single file with all uk cameras - I got a zip file with the Tom Tom database. Why is that?

Pete
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, Pete.
I just tried all three versions (all-in-one, split into type, and speed-zoned) for CoPilot 6: and they all downloaded as TomTom ov2 files.

Unless CoPilot 6 can accept ov2 files (sorry, I have no direct knowledge of CoPilot), then it looks like a c**k-up.

Hopefully an admin will be along in a minute to sort you out.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless they have made a change since V5 then they should be in .XLS format.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
pee_cee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've seen some older copies of the camera zips on emule & friends. When the zip is generated (on the fly?) could a user id or similar be encoded into one of the files maybe, to aid tracking the source?
hcl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Firefox and AVG/Zonealarm Reply with quote

I tried switching off Adblocking and cookie blocking etc in both AVG and Zonealarm whilst trying to download Firefox (1.5.3), in various combinations.
I still cannot download the database.
(I can use IE of course with no problems - with AVG/Zonealarm fully functional!)
So what is going wrong?

It seems it is some sort of interaction between PGPSW database and Firefox itself that is causing the problem - - for the record I have tried the IE tab plugin as well - no joy.

Whilst I am no way an 'anorak', I'm not completely a spark short of a fire, but I am at a loss on this one.
It is frustrating to say the least to the individua customer,l never mind the team, not to be able to pin this one down. It seems we are doomed to use IE for just the one download - I never have problems with any other site - I don't even lower the firewall in any way whatsoever for anything else - so what is it???
7272Andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Firefox as my default browser and Zone Alarm as my firewall and had exactly the same problems as you have described. However I found that re-installing Zone Alarm as a fresh installation and accepting the default settings cured my download problems.

Of course this meant I had a bit of tweaking to do afterwards, but everything is 'playing nicely' now :D .
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three sugestions which may make life easier for users:

1 ) Could the camera files names be shortened from "pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ov2" etc. to "PGPS_uk_gatso_20.ov2"
(or even better, just "PGPS_gatso_20.ov2" for the UK cameras), so they fit on the PND's screen better?
Setting them up on a TomTom at the moment is a real pain because they all look identical (unless you do the hold-finger-and-wipe trick).

2 ) Could the downloaded zipfiles of the 3 different options (single file, consolidated by type, and speed-zoned) be given different names?
At the moment, they are all called "pgpsw-speed-cams.zip"; so if you want to download more than one version (to mix and match the files), you have to manually rename each one before you download the next - a minor annoyance, but confusing for beginners?

3 ) I feel the "Temp" camera file is now a historical anomaly. Could these please be integrated into the main categories?
The individual entries could still be called "Temp:1234@50" etc, like Truvelos are, but they should be entered into the appropriate category and speed-zoned files so they will give the correct alert and warning distance.

Any thoughts?
(and sorry if these have been discussed before)
DeeSee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002

Agree the long filenames are a nuisance but you can simplify the hassle considerably by using a batch renamer programme.

Try ReNamer.

Go here:

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~den4b/

Then click on Projects at the top of the screen and download ReNamer3.30.

Works for me - I select all the OV2s I require, drag them to a Temp folder and rename them all in one go; then drag and drop them into my TT.

DeeSee

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: