Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot v6.0.1.68 OV2 Safety cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot v6.0.1.68 OV2 Safety cameras

View previous topic :: View next topic  
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: CoPilot v6.0.1.68 OV2 Safety cameras Reply with quote

Pocket PC Application:

I have been trying the new safety cameras, but one thing I do not like is that if I follow the recommended instructions there is the no indication of the 'Type' of safety camera being reported.

However, following a bit of creative testing, it would appear that so long as the ov2 and bmp files start with 'safetycamera' they are recognised by Copilot as Safety Cameras.

So to improve matters, I have downloaded the Speed cameras grouped by type and re-named the files as seemed appropriate.

While I still do not get any indication of camera type in the spoken instructions, I do get an appropriate icon on the map, which is now displayed with the small yellow overlay warning box instead of the 'blue warning screen' during the warning period. Note, it looks as if the map is displayed even when you are in driver safey mode, but if you are in driver safety mode, the map (when it is displayed) in not 'where am I', but 'next turn' with its variable scale, so if the 'next turn' is some way off, the scale can be too small for the icons to be displayed at all. (They are not displayed at the smaller scales)

There may be other issues to consider with this method. So far I have only tested it using the built in CoPilot demo.

One unusual thing of note - the camera warning is spoken by Jane (wave), even when you set Roger (TTS) as the voice - and they can both speak at the same time! Perhaps someone knows of a suitable 'chime' to replace Jane's warning message.

Desktop Application:

It would appear that there is new processing for any OV2/bmp POI file pairs which start with 'safetycamera'; because when they are incorporated into the desktop application, they are not shown on the map.

If the 'safetycameras' are subsequently included in the download to the SD card for the PPC, the PPC will show them on the map, but can only 'report' them using 'POI alerts', not the new 'Safety Alerts' - they have become just another POI.

This behaviour is unique to files with names starting 'safetycamera', because if they are given a different name, the desktop application will show them on the map.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I had my first drive past some safety cameras since installing CP 6.0.1.68. I am pleased to see that, apart from the other enhancements, they have made it a two-stage camera warning. The usual voice warning comes at a selectable distance away from the camera, then there is a chime just before the camera.

What I would say is that the chimed warning is set just a bit too near to the camera. This means that if the camera position on the map is inaccurate, then the chime may come after the camera is passed. In any case, it tends to come when the car is practically upon the camera, which means that it spoils a good idea.

I endorse Neil01's wish for sound warnings that distinguish between different cameras. Competing products have this, so there is some work to be done.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: