Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 V2.90 now avail from Garmin.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 V2.90 now avail from Garmin.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete7049
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

16 hours driving in map mode with no problems. while sitting on the throne this morning i gave birth to a thought (as well as the stuff i was sitting there for), people have said that they get screen crashes in the same place, could this be down to poi's? i don't use them and all seems ok. not being a tech head i don't know if this is relevent?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
people have said that they get screen crashes in the same place, could this be down to poi's?

There were no POIs on my i3 anywhere near my location on all the occassions i had a lock up / white screen.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No POIs displaying on my screen when it froze or went blank either. Complete mystery why an upgrade makes things worse not better
slartibartfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trajet wrote:
slartibartfast wrote:
Just updated to 2.90 and noticed the occasional white screen but also something else. At the start of any journey from home I have the choice of turning left then right onto a main road or right then left onto a main road. I normally turn right then left because it is easier to join the main road but the i3 always tells me to turn left. This was never a problem with 2.70 since my route would be recalculated before I reached the left turn but with 2.90 the i3 refuses to even recognise that I have deviated from it’s chosen route. The map position on the screen is correct and it obviously is not following the red line and I do not get any route guidance until I rejoin the red route line a little further into the journey. When this first happened I thought it might just be an isolated incident but now it has occurred on both journeys since I updated. I think I will definitely roll back to 2.70.

That is excatly what I have experianced. I think you have explained it better than I could have. Lets hope this quirk will be corrected soon.

Same thing again this morning. Pressing detour seemed to cure it but that is hardly ideal. In my experience the problem only seems to happen at the beginning of a journey unless anyone knows differently.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slartibartfast wrote:
In my experience the problem only seems to happen at the beginning of a journey unless anyone knows differently.

I'd agree with that - all the times I've had problems with 2.90 it has been at the start of the journey - never part way through. And once it has frozen, once restarted it had been OK for the journey after that.

What's odd, is that you'd almost expect that with the beta, but with so many people beta testing for them, you'd expect the stable release to be, um... well, stable.

I'm considering reverting to 2.82 - I've been most happy with that version, so far, and the custom POI thing didn't bother me. I wish I'd been a little less trigger happy in updating my Dad's i3 with 2.90 a couple of days back. I didn't want to put the beta on, but now it would seem the better choice.
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I wish I'd been a little less trigger happy in updating my Dad's i3 with 2.90 a couple of days back."

ooops no christmas or birthday pressies for you this year lester Crying or Very sad
ps73uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazylegs wrote:
I'm still on ver 2.5 with no lockups or any trouble....and i think its gonna stay that way.. Wink

Agreed, like i said earlier, i think 2.5 was the most stable release they did, i did upgrade to 2.9 means everyone was saying it was so good at first, had the problems that everyone else is having so it was back to 2.5, 2.5 still remains the only version that the unit seems to switch off correctly with as well, 2.6, 2.7, 2.82 & 2.9 the unit makes all sort of strange noises when switching off (from short little bleep, through to long drawn out bleep, somtimes the original switch off noise), 2.5 makes the original proper switch off sound everytime Exclamation 2.5 also seems to caulculate the routes quicker than 2.6-2.9 and in my opinion seems more stable regarding POI's than 2.6-2.9

The only downside to 2.5 is the old postcode issue, if you enter the postcode and use the house number as 0 the postcode search only works 3 times, it's not a big problem though unless you always navigate to postcodes using the house number as 0 (use any other number the postcode search works fine). 8O
Paul
colossus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gone back to 2.7 now. Bit dissappointed with Garmin for denying knowledge of any problems when it would appear lots of people are telling them about it. It's my first foray into sat/nav and am still impressed with it though. Am now going out to see if my reloaded 2.7 works as it did before.
Wildie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

today went back too 2.70 manually but this time round the unit did a total reboot and i had to redo all the settings after the upload it gave me the the screen for it, whereas the 2.90 update did no such thing is that normal.
clingfilm1973
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Hard reset ? Reply with quote

How do you do a hard reset ??
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from 2.7 to 2.9 on Monday, then to 2.82 beta yesterday, but I don't like the earlier turn directions, so I've now reverted to 2.7. On one country lane I got the 'Turn left' command .2 miles before the turning. Since I'd already had an 'In .4 miles turn left' warning I don't see the need for an early turn instruction.

I love the i3 but, even with 2.7, the one criticism I have is the inconsistent timing of directions. The final 'turn' instructions are given anything between 100 feet and .2 miles (1,000 feet). As long as advance warnings of turns are given, and the screen displays the distance to the next turn, I find 100 feet is ample for a final vocal instruction to turn, and less confusing when passing other possible turns.

Just my two-pennyworth. I know other people feel differently and prefer the early directions.
Samsung Galaxy S21
colossus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emailed Garmin again to tell them of my return to 2.7 and received almost immediate response. Faith in after sales somewhat restored. He said he would pass on comments.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i much prefered the earlier warnings so you had more time to adjust your speed and driving position. Too many times with 2.7 i was left in the wrong lane or didn't realise a turn was coming up.

However i'm going to stick with the 2.9 for now. I might try a hardware reset and then reload 2.9

To do a Hard Reset - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=33666#181829
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reply from my email to garmin

Hi Mat,

We have received a lot of feedback regarding software version 2.9 and it appears there are some issues at the moment.

We have contacted the software engineers in the US and they are working on a fix. ASAP so that we can get the new features of 2.9 working without error for you. This should be announced as a new update as soon as it is available.

Regards,
Alastair Ingason
Product Support
Garmin (Europe)
Telephone Number 0870 8501242
Email: sales.europe@garmin.com

so there you have it. no turning back now.
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave v2.9 a good 'work out' yesterday on a 300 mile round trip to previously unvisited remote locations (in Wales) and did not experience a single 'white screen' or lock up.

It is difficult to recall how earlier versions would have reacted at the same junction, but I did feel that it was often a bit later than I would have liked in switching to a 'close up' view of a forthcoming junction.

On one occasion when I overshot a junction, the unit recalculated quite quickly, but I decided to do a 'U-turn' and follow the original (almost parallel) route. What I then noticed was that it still left the red 'line' where I had been (presumably because I could have carried on that way anyway. As the two roads were fairly close together, so that they were both visible on the screen at the same time, it just looked a bit 'odd'.

I didn't like having to enter a letter to select the initial country (which is usually England anyway!) but will probably stick with v2.9 for now... or at least until the next update is announced.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 7 of 14

Jump to: