Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is a Garmin i3 worth purchasing in Ireland?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is a Garmin i3 worth purchasing in Ireland?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eorpach
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Is a Garmin i3 worth purchasing in Ireland? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm living in Ireland and am planning to purchase a Garmin i3 (with City Navigator Europe Version 8 mapping).

I have a few questions which I'm really hoping to have answered first:

1) I mostly (but not exclusively) drive in the Greater Dublin/Wickow area. Is there any update from Irish users as regards the quality of the (Republic of) Ireland coverage in version 8 Question

2) Given that we don't use postcodes in Ireland, is it still relatively easy to input Irish routes/destinations into the Garmin i3 Question

3) If I buy the Garmin i3 now, with version 8 mapping, is it likely to cost me alot to upgrade to full Irish coverage when it becomes available? (hopefully as part of version 9 later this year!) Presumably this would involve the purchase of a new card from a Garmin retailer Question

Many thanks in advance for the advice! Smile

Regards,

eorpach
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Is a Garmin i3 worth purchasing in Ireland? Reply with quote

eorpach wrote:
I mostly (but not exclusively) drive in the Greater Dublin/Wickow area. Is there any update from Irish users as regards the quality of the (Republic of) Ireland coverage in version 8 Question

Click on the link which says Mapsource Map Viewer on [url=http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynavEuro.jsp]this page[url]. Make sure you click on Most detail and zoom right in on some areas you know.

The coverage of Dublin is pretty much 100% but I'm not sure how up-to-date it is. Once you get out of Dublin you only get the M, N and R roads plus major cities like Waterford and Galway. I think the coverage of Eire is about 40%.

You'd probably want to get an i3 which are on sale for £100-130 (not sure about the Euro price). If you do a lot of driving in Dublin then you may find it worthwhile.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: